Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: How much would you pay for a USB gps device+software to be used in car?
50-65 1 10.00%
65-80 3 30.00%
80+ 3 30.00%
0 - i dont want propr`one's stinking GPS 3 30.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2006, 05:00 AM   #1
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
GPS reciever Interest

Mods, if this is an innapropriate section for this, please move/delete accordingly

Im looking into getting a GB going for some GPS recievers. Im currently in negotiations with several companies as to which particular recievers I would order, but i want to judge interest.

Please answer the poll regarding how much you would pay for such a reciever(please post the max you'd be willing to pay, you will NOT be overcharged, explained later). These recievers are all NMEA compatible, work with all software that meets that specifications. If this GB goes through, the software will be made available to you for no added cost.

If you would SERIOUSLY consider purchasing one of these units, please let me know. Many of you have seen this at work in my car, and some members have it set up in their car.

This unit requires the following to operate:

-the unit
-laptop(windows compatible for the software i provide, there IS software for mac/linux, but i dont have it) with USB (400 M recommened)
-the software (i'll provide)

thanks for your responces guys. I WILL BE PROVIDING THESE AT COST TO YOU, this forum's been too good in putting up with my BS for me to try to rip you guys off

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 10:07 AM   #2
Wannabe
Northwood.

Yess first one to poll.. I always thought these things are wicked.. I want one.. but the only think i wonder about is plugging in the laptop in the car?
2002 Dodge Durango SXT
1985 BMW 325e
1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
1995 Nissan Altima SE
1994 Mazda MX-6 RS
1984 Buick Riviera
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 12:48 PM   #3
propr'one
op sucks cock

You can use a power inverter in the car itself. You can also use any Windows CE based PDA with a USB port instead. The decvice is plug and play compatible with XP.

Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
Old 02-11-2006, 12:31 AM   #4
BlitzSix
6 Speed

Send a message via AIM to BlitzSix Send a message via MSN to BlitzSix
It's good stuff, I'd grab one if I had a laptop...
BlitzSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 12:50 AM   #5
qimis
Mr. Euro E30

I've always wondering do these laptop gps system, gives you directions like turn here ... turn there ... and actually has a voice system or just tells you there's your car and here's your surrounding map ?
Old 02-11-2006, 12:57 AM   #6
propr'one
op sucks cock

You can get software that has voice instructions, that module isn't included in my software, but im sure you could download it somewhere

Old 02-11-2006, 02:12 AM   #7
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
get it to run on PS2 and I'm in.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 02:22 AM   #8
rodo
6th Gear Member

can u get bluetooth ones?

2010 Expedition

Objects in mirror are farther than they appear Only in a BMW

rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 08:21 AM   #9
Darkness95m3
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qimis
I've always wondering do these laptop gps system, gives you directions like turn here ... turn there ... and actually has a voice system or just tells you there's your car and here's your surrounding map ?
The new Microsoft Street and Trips with GPS for $129 including GPS and the software will give you voice directions. Also if you purchase a FM transmitter you can get the voice directions throught your car stereo and play all of your music from your notebook. This is what I do in my vehicles.
Darkness95m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 01:06 PM   #10
propr'one
op sucks cock

justin: ps2, unlike xbox, doesn't have true usb 1.1/2.0, so i dont think i can do that

rodo: i CAN get bluetooth ones, they're hella expensive

darkness95m3: the GB im setting up is for NMEA recievers that work with S&T, i was just planning on stealing the software

Old 02-11-2006, 07:39 PM   #11
2slow4door
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to 2slow4door Send a message via Yahoo to 2slow4door
I want one for a car pc I want to build
2slow4door is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 07:47 PM   #12
M3ti Compact
Fuel Efficient 318 Member

I got MS Streets and Trips with the Pharo's GPS as a Christmas present.
It was $140 at Costco, and supposidely, they sold out of it within the week.

ANYways...my review- I run it on a laptop...IMO running GPS on the laptop has it's advantages and disadvantages. Advantages are the laptop display is HUGE. Also, inputting what you want is much much easier. Disadvantages is that it's HUGE...you need to put it on your passenger seat or have someone hold on to it. Also, the MS voice promt uses Microsoft Sam...and you can never understand what the **** she's saying- even though I have a tape adaptor.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:02 PM   #13
Gamite

I already looked into this, the best software I could find was iguidance. its very similar to alpine's navi unit. it auto redirects and has verbal directions unlike streets and trips.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 10:08 PM   #14
propr'one
op sucks cock

Julian, do you have a link for that software?

thanks

Old 02-11-2006, 11:33 PM   #15
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

I'm running Microsoft Streets and Trips 2005 with my Windows XP in the GNET car computer (located bottom right in smart interior pic below)... works great. No voice instructions, but keeps your location central to the map and rotates the map around you as you drive (or choice of keeping North upwards). It's also realtime and posts your current speed in KM/H. The receiver part ($100 value) is the green box stuck to my A-pillar. Don't mind the MIRT on the dash! LOL.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg interiorScreen.jpg (187.5 KB, 29 views)

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: