Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-08-2006, 08:08 PM   #1
BMW_Ryan
2nd Gear Member

Question Tips on Drifting?

I figure this is one of the best places to ask for tips on drifting, at least I hope so. I have a 2002 325ci (automatic haha) and I want to advance my drifting technique. I persoanally feel like the fact my car is automatic somewhat holds me back? I wonder if anyone can give me some tips for this. I have Nitto tires on my car, and I have definitley turned off the DSC many times and know how to make her slide. Just give me any pointers you can or are willing to. Thanks a bunch!
BMW_Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 08:19 PM   #2
Soldo
6th Gear Member

Best tip to drift....... get a manual transmission!
Old 02-08-2006, 08:23 PM   #3
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Well, having a limited slip differential makes it a lot easier to get and hold the rear end out. Without it you'll just end up toasting your inside rear tire.

That said, drifting is all about weight transfer, and practice. If you get snow, find an open parking lot and have some fun (with the owners permission of course ) Drifting on dry asphault is pretty much the same theory, just with more speed envolved, and mistakes happen quicker too.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 08:35 PM   #4
BMW_Ryan
2nd Gear Member

Haha Soldo...I expected a response like that. I know, I defintely need a manual man. Oh by the way, I loved how you put up on that loser with the bike who wanted to race for pinks a while back!
ThinAir, thank you for your tip, I actually just got a fresh coating of powder down here thanks to good ol' Lake Erie, so I guess I better practice a little.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:15 PM   #5
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Yeah, I'd agree that snow is the absolute best way to learn the feel for controlling the car sideways.

In the dry, you'll be going 5x as fast to achieve the same slip, and screwing up just once could write off your car. Snow + empty parking lot = good.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 09:26 PM   #6
Soldo
6th Gear Member

Thanks, wish that guy woulda raced me though.... haha, and i was only messing around with the tranny. My moms E46s is fun to drift and its auto as well!

Best thing to remember is once the ass end kicks out...... counter-steer WITH the direction the car is going!!
Its tough to explain, best way to learn is practice!

Last edited by Soldo; 02-08-2006 at 09:29 PM.
Soldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 09:48 PM   #7
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
shameless self promotion:
http://www.nelsonpapel.com/skidpad.mpg
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 10:18 PM   #8
Hound
V-Dub in da House

Send a message via MSN to Hound
always fun to watch nelson drifting . i started to do a bit this summer, the 5er is actually quite easy to control with feathering the throttle, but i agree learning to hold a drift in the snow is much safer and better since as mentioned you arn't going as fast and you are more than likely in a wide open lot. i unfortunatly don't have an LSD i need one but o well, so it's true you will easily end up roasting your inside tire. since you have an auto i would suggest 1st turnning of dsc, by holding down the button for 5 seconds, you will have the light go on, on the dash when you do this. not sure on your car but i know on mine if i just press it it backs the dsc off a bit but doesn't turn it off so you need to hold it for 5 seconds to turn it all off. then once you've done that put the car into the manual shift mode and turn on any "sport" button that you may have, being in manual will help you since the car wont be as likely to shift mid drfit which would screw you up, now it will shift for you if it senses you over reving the engine so best bet is to be in second that way you have a fair bit of rev range to play with before comming close to red line and have the car shift on you. also the car won't let you downshift if you are too high up in thee rev range so keep that in mind, i found on the x5 as long as i was mid way it would allow me to downshift. you will just have to play around with what gear is best. i would slowly start off in second, get some speed, get a bit of a pendulum started then when you feel the end going out try and keep it out by countersteering (steering to the oposite direction that you have the car turning in, ie. if you got the end out wen you turned the wheel right countersteer to the left, and visa versa.) also when the tail is out once you have countersteered keep the steeringwheel turned that way and steady and then if you feel the car getting traction give it a BIT more gas, not too much otherwise you will just spin out but enough to counteract whatever traction you might have been getting. it all about practice and once you get the hang of it it's a lot of fun. be carfull though cause doing this will eat through your tires especially with no lsd.

07 GTI, Revo Stage II, 3" catless GHL exhaust, OEM R32 rear conversion, 17x9 + 17x11 215/45/17 all around on genuine BBS RS's, B&G RSII coilovers

96 Harliquin Golf
Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 10:37 PM   #9
BMW_Ryan
2nd Gear Member

Thanks so much, more info welcome too

Wow, in less than 7 reply posts I have definitely learned a lot. I thank you guys so much. I am going to get to practicing in the snow here. Just for some FYI, the reason I asked this question was because I want to make a video of my car. While driving and surfing the internet, I get ideas for filming different manuveurs to coordinate to music. I have picked out the song(s) to go with the video I would love to make and one such part of the song I can just visualize drifting the bimmer and slowing it down making for one awesome shot. I have many other ideas for footage and want to make it a reality sometime soon...just need a camcorder . Thinair, I'm all for shameless self promotion, you do a damn good job! Hound, thanks for such an in-depth description, awesome stuff! I am very glad I joined this forum, you are all very helpful.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:02 PM   #10
Hound
V-Dub in da House

np man always glad to help love to see the vid when its done. if you need help hosting it let me know

07 GTI, Revo Stage II, 3" catless GHL exhaust, OEM R32 rear conversion, 17x9 + 17x11 215/45/17 all around on genuine BBS RS's, B&G RSII coilovers

96 Harliquin Golf
Old 02-09-2006, 02:25 AM   #11
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
find a working version of this link: http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39880

it's 115MB, 70 minutes of drifting tutorial in various types of vehicles. best tip you'll find.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 03:17 AM   #12
Hound
V-Dub in da House

doesn't work justin, the link to the file is dead.

96 Harliquin Golf
Old 02-09-2006, 05:55 AM   #13
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
that's why I said to find a working link.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 09:20 AM   #14
Proliphic
Trying to stay on 4wheels

Send a message via MSN to Proliphic
Heres that working link..

http://gallery.gt-club.com/displayimage.php?pos=-468

Video is small view so just right click go to zoom and select full screen, sit back and Enjoy
Motronix CAI
(Magic Fairy Dust )
Strut Brace
APEX Sport Springs
18" M3 CSL look-a-like's
Clear Corners All Around
6000K HID's
Thinline Angel Eyes

Black/Silver 2000 Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300R
8000K HID's
Clear Signals
(More to come)

Last edited by Proliphic; 02-09-2006 at 09:28 AM.
Proliphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 11:49 AM   #15
M3ti Compact
Fuel Efficient 318 Member

I have a rule to myself- never drift on dry. Too fast, and and one little mistake and the car will just go somewhere you don't want it to go. Most likely the mistake will be counter steer too much, or counter steer too long.

Anyways, drifting tips- manual or automatic- the theory is still the same, for automatics, what you want is for the car to hold a gear, rather than shifting while your sideways (you'll upset the car if this happens)- so just put it into manual mode.

FWD, AWD, and RWD drifting, contrary to popular belief, is all the same. The only difference occurs when you hit the gas.

Since I only really know RWD, i'll give you some tips...
Start turning into the corner earlier than you would if on dry...To initiate the slide, flick the wheel the way you want to turn- then hit the gas. Once the car starts to slide, hold the wheel lightly and let the caster take over and turn the wheel for you. Make adjustments to the angle by using the gas, or inputting more/less steering. Remember to un-countersteer when you feel the car is starting to catch- this is the most difficult part of the drift. Most beginners forget to un-countersteer, resulting in a "doggie tail" (flicking back and fourth), or worse, crashing.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: