Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-08-2006, 03:53 PM   #16
BennyL
7th Gear Member

tell him to post here!

and i spoke to BMW, they also told me not to do anything with the fluid.

i mean, my transmission is working fine. why change or flush the fluid, if there are no problems?

My Ride: E36 318 Convertible - Black Ext. Peanutbutter Int.
BennyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 12:13 PM   #17
Swerve
///Maquina

the Stealer also told me not to touch it, it's lifetime fluid....

The problem is that I have a small leak at the rear seal, and I have to top it up every now and again. I know I have to replace the seal and put new fluid in, which fluid should I use?

///M3 body | Painted kidneys | Hartge spoiler | DJ Autos+DDM HID, DRL delete, clears
Hartge Nova 3+Kumho Ecsta SPT / Hamann HM2+Kumho Ecsta ASX | Bilstein Sports, H&R Sports, KMAC plates, RE RSMs, Racing Dynamics sways, M3 RTABs | M3 Front Brakes
M3 Exhaust | Autothority chip | Cosmos v2+K&N | NGK Iridiums | E46 M knob | clutchstop | woodgrain delete | /////ALPINE, PPI, MB Quart
Swerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 12:39 PM   #18
spooner_dee
Has no idea whats goin on

Send a message via AIM to spooner_dee
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyL
tell him to post here!

and i spoke to BMW, they also told me not to do anything with the fluid.

i mean, my transmission is working fine. why change or flush the fluid, if there are no problems?

preventative maintenance. I dont think i could trust anything like the supposed "lifetime fluid"

as for what to replace it with, id ask the dealer if it should be replaced with the same "life time fluid" Which is what i would expect or maybe they can give an alternitive that will work with the tranny.

As I was walking up the stairs, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish I wish he'd go away.
spooner_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 01:18 PM   #19
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Red Line MTF will work. Synthetic too.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 04:10 PM   #20
BennyL
7th Gear Member

do you have a manual, or an automatic transmission?

cuz mine is auto (i know, i hate it, shut up) and it says in the bentley manual that using different fluids will cause transmission failure.

Old 02-10-2006, 04:46 PM   #21
fitz318is
2nd Gear Member

in the words of mike miller "lifetime fill when they give me a lifetime warrantee"
fitz318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 05:10 PM   #22
Mark.C.
1st Gear Newbie

fluid

I hate to inform you but your transmission is actually an overdrive CHEVETTE transmission.The fluid you use in your transmission is no different than any other american car.If your car had a Z.F transmission than there are options.In my professional opinion,if there are no leaks don't touch it
1031 Meyerside Dr. Unit #3
(905) 696 8330
Mark.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 12:20 PM   #23
spooner_dee
Has no idea whats goin on

Send a message via AIM to spooner_dee
so while my car was on the lift, i looked under and saw that my car has the lifetime fluid sticker. There is also a code (part number) for the required fluid should it ever need replacing. So in a few months ill have my tranny flushed and filled with the fluid that it says on the tranny to replace it with, should you ever need to do work on it.

I have the code written down but its in my trunk which is covered with about a foot of snow. But if anyone wants it, when i go dig out my car later i will provide it.

As I was walking up the stairs, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish I wish he'd go away.
spooner_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 12:47 PM   #24
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
I change my tranny and diff fluid on a yearly basis with Redline fluids. No issues yet.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 02:14 PM   #25
M3ti Compact
Fuel Efficient 318 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.C.
I hate to inform you but your transmission is actually an overdrive CHEVETTE transmission.The fluid you use in your transmission is no different than any other american car.If your car had a Z.F transmission than there are options.In my professional opinion,if there are no leaks don't touch it
no...we don't have the Chevette transmission...the Chevette has a BMW transmission!!

Just kidding. I noticed that the Lincoln LS 5-speed has the exact same ratios as the BMW's too...
Old 02-12-2006, 02:52 PM   #26
325isRED
6th Gear Member

I refused to believe that this fluid is lifetime... so i changed it!

In our manual it says to use ATF fluid, so i used REDLINE ATF synthetic! its really nice! i noticed a difference almost right away, when the car was cold, the shifting was a little bit stiffer, but once warmed up, there was a real difference.

When i installed my short shifter (MZ3), my shifting became very "notchy", but after the redline, it elliminated this problem complettely!

edit: i have about 30k on this oil now... and still great, i do plan on changing it yearly! only 12bux a bottle, problem is that you need like SLIGHTLY more then one bottle...

'92 325is 5sp

Last edited by 325isRED; 02-12-2006 at 02:54 PM.
325isRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 08:16 AM   #27
Mark.C.
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ti Compact
no...we don't have the Chevette transmission...the Chevette has a BMW transmission!!

Just kidding. I noticed that the Lincoln LS 5-speed has the exact same ratios as the BMW's too...

I hope you weren't insulted?
Don't feel bad a lot of cars have your transmission.ie.isuzu,91-97bmw3's,528's,cadilac etc.
I just find it funny that such high end cars are fitted with GM transmissions especially when the cars are supposed to be high performers.
(905) 696 8330
Old 02-13-2006, 11:21 AM   #28
BennyL
7th Gear Member

which transmissions are we talking about? the manuals or the autos?

Old 02-13-2006, 05:06 PM   #29
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.C.
I hope you weren't insulted?
Don't feel bad a lot of cars have your transmission.ie.isuzu,91-97bmw3's,528's,cadilac etc.
I just find it funny that such high end cars are fitted with GM transmissions especially when the cars are supposed to be high performers.
They're not GM transmissions. They're made by Getrag, who makes them for all the above companies.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 06:28 PM   #30
Mark.C.
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinair
They're not GM transmissions. They're made by Getrag, who makes them for all the above companies.

All automatics are G.M.91 to 97 3's
Standards are Getrag
(905) 696 8330

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: