Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-11-2006, 12:52 AM   #46
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Let me try to clarify this a little bit, to help Paul out with explaining this...

1 - Underpowering your subwoofers will hurt the sound quality. Particularly sound in the 20-40Hz range. Octave will be weak, and bass will be muddy and flat.

2 - Oftentimes, people try to compensate for underpowered subwoofers by increasing the gain on their amplifier. This can, and will likely lead to clipping.
When the amplifier clips the bass will sound muddy and flat, this is because an underpowered amplifier will not be able to power the subwoofer throughout it's frequency range.

3 - When listening to music lightly does not mean only 100watts will be sent to each subwoofer, wattage is just a measurement of power handling. One subwoofer may require 400watts of power at peak to reproduce 50dB of sound, whereas another subwoofer may require 250watts. This is known as sound efficiency (rated as 1watt per 1 meter.) A subwoofer with higher decibel ratings mean it will utilize the amplifiers power better and create louder sound, whereas a subwoofer with a lower decibel rating will require more wattage/power to re-create the same sound. Note that efficiency has nothing to do with sound quality, as some of the best sounding speakers & subwoofers are not very efficient.

4 - Clipping is not desired, and is not a protection. While underpowering your subwoofers will not blow them, the clipping as a side-effect will eventually burn out the voice coil.

5 - Paul mentioned how to tune your subwoofers. Allow me to clarify this again. Turn your amp all the way down, then turn your stereo to 100% volume. Then slowly turn your amp up, pay special attention to your subwoofers... when you hear them begin clipping a little, turn the amp back down a little bit. If you have a High-pass Frequency & Low-pass Frequency filter on your deck, enable this first.

6 - Proprone, why did you get a 4-channel amp to power your subwoofers? Is the amp bridgable?
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 01:07 AM   #47
BlitzSix
6 Speed

Send a message via AIM to BlitzSix Send a message via MSN to BlitzSix
Thanks for clearing that up Justin, I don't want to make you type up a long post but do you have a link saved with some basic info on audio and subs and amps?

Like what exactly ohms/chanells are, what bridging is, etc?

Someone told me for my setup (2 10s 250 rms each) I need a mono amp that's 600 watts @ 2 ohms. Does that make sense? I thought mono meant you can only connect it to one thing, so I though I would need 2 chanell, but I'm probably way off here..

Also this is probalby a stupid question but will I need to buy a speical wiring kit sine I need to connect 2 subs to the amp?
BlitzSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 01:20 AM   #48
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzSix
Thanks for clearing that up Justin, I don't want to make you type up a long post but do you have a link saved with some basic info on audio and subs and amps?

Like what exactly ohms/chanells are, what bridging is, etc?

Someone told me for my setup (2 10s 250 rms each) I need a mono amp that's 600 watts @ 2 ohms. Does that make sense? I thought mono meant you can only connect it to one thing, so I though I would need 2 chanell, but I'm probably way off here..

Also this is probalby a stupid question but will I need to buy a speical wiring kit sine I need to connect 2 subs to the amp?
I don't know of any specific sites really.

Mono = 1 channel
Stereo = 2 Channel (left + right)
4 Channel (front left, front right, rear left, rear right.)

A monoblock will take in a left + right input, and output mono-sound for your subwoofers. A 2 channel amp will have 2 inputs, 2 outputs. A 4 channel will have 4 inputs, 4 outputs.

Bridging allows you to to combine the channels for more wattage. For example, you may have a 600 watt 2 Channel Amplifier. (300 watts to the left speaker, 300 watts to the right speaker.) Some amps will allow you to bridge this to 600 watts, mono. (so the amp can be used to power your subwoofer instead.)

You won't need special wiring. You can loop the speaker wire on the subwoofer box itself.
Here are some diagrams I found for single voice coil subwoofers:

Old 02-11-2006, 12:10 PM   #49
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

Justin e36 thank you pics. But there is a site you can go to for alot 411. www.12volt.com
Old 02-11-2006, 02:19 PM   #50
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
Justin, yes the amp is bridgable, i made sure of that like you said to.

at 2ohms, the amp puts out 200 watts RMS on both channels.
at 4ohms i'd have to run it in mono, and it puts out 400 RMS.

that will work, right?

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit

Last edited by propr'one; 02-11-2006 at 02:22 PM.
propr'one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 03:26 PM   #51
BlitzSix
6 Speed

Send a message via AIM to BlitzSix Send a message via MSN to BlitzSix
Do you guys know if my alternator will be enough? I'm replacing mine soon, and I'm just wondering if I should shell out the extra cash for a high performance one...

The stock one for my car runs at 55 or so amps IIRC, and I can get a rebuilt one from cdn tire for 110 ish, or I can buy a 160 amp one for like 260 or so, but I don't want to get it if I don't need it..

I'm just gonna be running the 600 watt rms amp for my subs, and MAYBE another 4 chan for my speakers later on, but they're just running off the deck now...

Thanks.
BlitzSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 04:56 PM   #52
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin e36
5 - Paul mentioned how to tune your subwoofers. Allow me to clarify this again. Turn your amp all the way down, then turn your stereo to 100% volume. Then slowly turn your amp up, pay special attention to your subwoofers... when you hear them begin clipping a little, turn the amp back down a little bit. If you have a High-pass Frequency & Low-pass Frequency filter on your deck, enable this first.
quick Q. do i have to do this? i just installed a amp and sub and have no prob at all would this be recomeneded wen installing a amp and sub?
Old 02-11-2006, 05:56 PM   #53
Justin e36
---

thanks paul.. good site.

proprone - what brand is the amp?... should be ok, though I'd go with 500watt RMS preferably, minimum.

blitz - the only real way to find out is to wire it up now and see how your car responds... if your idle increases when the bass thumps, lights dim, then I would recommend upgrading. To be honest though.. with 55amps, I'd say you should upgrade anyway. My alternator has been beefed up, and is still not enough to run all my accessories.

e30kid - Yes you should still do this process to ensure your subs will never be over-powered or ever clip. It's the proper/easy way to tune your subs to their maximum threshold.
Old 02-11-2006, 06:11 PM   #54
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

ok...wen u mean turn down the amp do you mean turn down the sub/amp output? and i hav LPF what should i tune the frequency to?

edit:one more q. i was curious about an old sub i had i was wondering if wen im turning it up and it cuts out is that considered clipping? wen i turn it back down it comes back on..is that heathy i dont do it often just sometimes by accident

Last edited by e30_kid89; 02-11-2006 at 06:16 PM.
e30_kid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 06:25 PM   #55
Justin e36
---

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30_kid89
ok...wen u mean turn down the amp do you mean turn down the sub/amp output? and i hav LPF what should i tune the frequency to?

edit:one more q. i was curious about an old sub i had i was wondering if wen im turning it up and it cuts out is that considered clipping? wen i turn it back down it comes back on..is that heathy i dont do it often just sometimes by accident
there's a gain control on the amp itself. turn it all the way down. turn the deck all the way up. now slowly increase the gain on the amp until your subs begin clipping.. then turn the amp down a bit so it's no longer clipping. LPF I keep mine at 75Hz... what options do you have available though?

I ewould have to hear the subwoofer.. but it sounds like it could be clippinGg.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:24 PM   #56
propr'one
op sucks cock

its lightning audio, made with rockford fosage components. 500 watts RMS? really? my speakers only make 300 rms. oh well, if it blows up i'll buy anodder one

Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
Old 02-12-2006, 04:36 PM   #57
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

thanks justin i tuned my subs now the bass and sound is way more clear and crisp....and for LPF mines is tuned at 80hz
Old 02-12-2006, 04:46 PM   #58
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

speakers do make power, they handle power,LIGHTING AUDIO is made with some the same stuff as ROCKFORD.......
Old 02-12-2006, 04:48 PM   #59
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZiMMie Send a message via MSN to ZiMMie
quick question guru's let say ur LPF is set to 80hz do u set the amps frequency for the subs @ 80hz?

www.StanceFactory.com
ZiMMie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 05:58 PM   #60
propr'one
op sucks cock

so paul, this setup would work for me man? any chance i can con you into helping me install it sometime?

hid headlights hid kit

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: