Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-03-2006, 04:22 PM   #1
europrince
6th Gear Member

540 headlight dispersion angle

Hi everyone. I am new to this site and have a small problem. I was driving my 1997 540ia, regular headlights, on the 407eb in the left lane a year ago in traffic pacing at 120km/h. Two marked OPP cruisers were in the right lane, one beside me, one in front. The car in front of me slowed down so I high beamed him. The cop in the first cruiser noticed, pulled me over and handed me two tickets, one for speeding 20km/h over, one for following too close. In his notes, I was apparantly 3ft off the rear of car in front. To disprove the cop, I want to present a diagram in court showing the MTO mandated lane widths and the angle at which the high beams travel horizontally. This will prove that its impossible for me to have been 3ft off the bumper with the cop seeing me two lanes over, 3 car lengths in front. Where can I get this angle information? BMW of Canada didn't answer my email and Hella USA, the OEM supplier, says it doesn't have that information. Is there a standard angle range for all high beams? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
europrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 07:26 PM   #2
Striker
Turbo Ready

Sorry to hear about your encounter with the friendly cops, but if I were you I would not have done what you did. Cops would not mind if you did 120 clicks on the highway, but if someone was slowing down because he or she saw the cops, you should not have flashed him.

The speed limit after all is 100 and if the cops felt that you were not concerned about their presence and not showing some respect, they would nail you.

There is an angle and height for both high and low beams, which denotes the adjustment specifications to meet the requirements for all cars licensed to drive in North America. You may find it on the MOT website. BMW would have had the lights calibrated to meeet those specifications, but being your car is almost 10 years old, it will be duifficult to prove that no one touched your lights since.

IMO, that would be a tough case to fight, but never the less good luck and I wish you all the best.

SPEED AND POWER IS NOTHING WITHOUT CONTROL,
THANK HITLER, BMW HAS ALL THREE
Striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 11:27 PM   #3
europrince
6th Gear Member

Striker, I thank you for your reply. I'll be sure to research the MTO site. Yes, as there was a group of 10 or so cars pacing 120, I wasn't concerned about their presence. Next time, I'll have to suck up my ego.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:18 AM   #4
Striker
Turbo Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by europrince
Striker, I thank you for your reply. I'll be sure to research the MTO site. Yes, as there was a group of 10 or so cars pacing 120, I wasn't concerned about their presence. Next time, I'll have to suck up my ego.
No prob Prince. BTW I was just watching the news, the Ontario cops now have cameras in the cruisers.

Funny thing is I will also have cameras in my car too, so if I am brought in for anything, the damn judge will have allot of footage to watch. I may have to bring him pop corn and some coke as well to top it off

SPEED AND POWER IS NOTHING WITHOUT CONTROL,
THANK HITLER, BMW HAS ALL THREE
Striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 12:05 AM   #5
europrince
6th Gear Member

FYI. I went to court a few weeks ago. I got the following too close thrown out by pleading guilty to the 20 over. Since I stalled it through the court system, its all good. It falls off this December.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: