Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-01-2006, 11:23 AM   #1
digiital
5th Gear Member

Sirius Canada adds Howard Stern

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/MediaNew...f-1421299.html

February 1, 2006
Sirius Canada adds Howard Stern

TORONTO (CP) — The self-proclaimed “King of All Media” will be heard via satellite radio in Canada starting Monday.

Sirius Canada says U.S. radio host Howard Stern will be included as part of the company’s 100-channel premium lineup.

Stern, considered North America’s top radio personality, debuted on Sirius Satellite Radio in the U.S. on Jan. 9.

But Stern was not included in the Canadian lineup when Sirius Canada launched its service.

At the time of his October 2004 deal with Sirius, the company said it could be worth up to $500 million US over five years to headline two Sirius channels.

Sirius Canada is a corporation owned by the U.S. Sirius satellite company, the CBC and Standard Radio.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Mark Twain
digiital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 11:24 AM   #2
Soldo
6th Gear Member

Hmmmmm... i actually MIGHT consider getting satelite radio now!
Old 02-01-2006, 11:35 AM   #3
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Cool! I wonder if they'll censor his content? Also, I wonder how they're going to let existing Canadian Sirius customers listen to him since the actual receiver units sold in Canada (up to this point) are programed to not pick up Howard's channel.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 11:39 AM   #4
digiital
5th Gear Member

It's all tier based, the can send the request to open up the recv. It's not a hardware lock. So it's not a issue.

As for the censorship, I think it's a load of BS. You buy the unit, and you HAVE to option to block out the channel so that the kids don't listen or anything like that, it's not a big deal, much like you can block out channels on your TV.
Also I have been listening to his show since the move to satellite and it's not as bad as people make it out to be.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Mark Twain
Old 02-01-2006, 11:41 AM   #5
Soldo
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMPOWERD
Cool! I wonder if they'll censor his content? Also, I wonder how they're going to let existing Canadian Sirius customers listen to him since the actual receiver units sold in Canada (up to this point) are programed to not pick up Howard's channel.
Since its all digital, isn't it just a filter that blocks the channel?

Same way you can't get certain TV chanels on satelite if you don't pay for em!

And if they do decide to bring him hear, they can't sensor it.... can they? I mean thats the whole point of the SIRIUS radio. Its digital and uncensored. Besides, isn't canada MORE leanient with censorship!?
Old 02-01-2006, 11:43 AM   #6
SickFinga

Quote:

I'm not sure how satelite radio works, but I dont see it as a problem.
I really dont think Howard is blocked in the firmware of the reciever.
I just think that Canadian accounts are programed not to recieve Stern.
But if it does infact programed firmware wise, Im sure it can be updated over the air, like TV Satelite firmware's
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 11:57 AM   #7
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

it's definitely in the receiver. I know people that open up Canadian Sirius accounts and just purchased a U.S. receiver to (successfully) listen to Howard.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 11:59 AM   #8
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Yes, it's in the receiver, but it's not hardware limited, it can be upgraded via firmware that can be sent via sattelite to unlock the new Howard channel. No different than a firmware upgrade on your cell phone to unlock new features.

So sometime when people start up their Sirius, the firmware upgrade will download and install unlocking the new channel list.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 12:02 PM   #9
JazzM
6th Gear Member

probably just like the satellite recievers with the cars... but in this case its probably just a location code stored in flash.

Everyone I talked to said XM is the better alternative...

T.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:04 PM   #10
jstalin
capitalism=crisis

I've got a US receiver and will continue with the US service, **** the CRTC for banning him in the first place.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:40 PM   #11
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzM
probably just like the satellite recievers with the cars... but in this case its probably just a location code stored in flash.

Everyone I talked to said XM is the better alternative...

T.
Can you elaborate?.. I'm trying to figure out if I should get XM or not, since my deck is already XM ready and all.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 08:52 PM   #12
A~G
Car Payment Free

Send a message via MSN to A~G
So XM won't have him !? gah. I read up on Howard Stern in this months ESQUIRE magazine.. .i've never really listened to him.. but after reading the interview I'd wanna hear his show...

A~G

Man who run in front of car get tired.
Man who run behind car get exhausted.
A~G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 09:09 PM   #13
BMWF1

Quote:
I honestly don't believe that, Sirius US has this thing where they can over-the-air block out channels. I think that thats what Sirius canada has done, and now they will just be releasing the ban.

I don't care either way, I bought the US one for way cheaper.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:50 PM   #14
digiital
5th Gear Member

No need to wait, grab the torrent from here(for todays show)
http://ts.searching.com/torrent/5268...w_02_01_06_56k

Quote:
Originally Posted by A~G
So XM won't have him !? gah. I read up on Howard Stern in this months ESQUIRE magazine.. .i've never really listened to him.. but after reading the interview I'd wanna hear his show...

Mark Twain
Old 02-01-2006, 11:45 PM   #15
jstalin
capitalism=crisis

I've been largely disappointed with Stern on satellite so far, it's been far from groundbreaking

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: