Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-30-2006, 08:20 PM   #1
Swerve
///Maquina

e36 rear deck speakers

So the factory ones are 4-inch with a 1-inch tweeter next to it in that black nokia-stickered black plastic enclosure. I'm thinking of trying to fit a 5.25 in there.

Does that box allow for trimming the opening to accomodate the 5.25? Should I even bother trying or just go with a 4-inch coaxial/component set?

///M3 body | Painted kidneys | Hartge spoiler | DJ Autos+DDM HID, DRL delete, clears
Hartge Nova 3+Kumho Ecsta SPT / Hamann HM2+Kumho Ecsta ASX | Bilstein Sports, H&R Sports, KMAC plates, RE RSMs, Racing Dynamics sways, M3 RTABs | M3 Front Brakes
M3 Exhaust | Autothority chip | Cosmos v2+K&N | NGK Iridiums | E46 M knob | clutchstop | woodgrain delete | /////ALPINE, PPI, MB Quart
Swerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:24 PM   #2
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
There are many options available for the rear deck, you can fit a 5.25" back there easily, I believe ChalzBmr has done this with a custom enclosure. There are also brackets available for 6x9's, and custom enclosures for a 5.25" and have ports on the side for moving air from the trunk into the cabin.. (for your subs).
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:53 PM   #3
Swerve
///Maquina

You really do know your options on this car!! Wicked.

Accoustically, 6x9s suck.

So a 5.25 wont fit in that OEM enclosure even with some trimming, huh?

If I was to go custom enclosure, then it would be the 5.25 option. Tell me more about this custom enclosure with ports on the side option... I have an alpine monoblock feeding some 10s that were way louder in my last car

///M3 body | Painted kidneys | Hartge spoiler | DJ Autos+DDM HID, DRL delete, clears
Hartge Nova 3+Kumho Ecsta SPT / Hamann HM2+Kumho Ecsta ASX | Bilstein Sports, H&R Sports, KMAC plates, RE RSMs, Racing Dynamics sways, M3 RTABs | M3 Front Brakes
M3 Exhaust | Autothority chip | Cosmos v2+K&N | NGK Iridiums | E46 M knob | clutchstop | woodgrain delete | /////ALPINE, PPI, MB Quart
Swerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 09:05 PM   #4
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

yes 6x9 do suck, you can go with 1 of 2 setup here (1) 5.25 or (2) 6" in the rear. With some work but no big deal in it.....
Old 01-30-2006, 11:12 PM   #5
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Yup, my personal preference is a 5.25 + port. Right now I have the upgraded baffle boxes in my rear deck from a 98 318is convertible... a nice stock upgrade, considering it was a free.

If you do want 6x9's, you just have to make a basic adapter plate out of wood.. very simple, here's an example:

or you can buy a plastic one if you have money to burn:

This is the adapter plate you want though, 5.25 + 1" tweet.

I can't find the 5.25" enclosure with an air pass-through port, I had a link to it somewhere in this forum, but I can't find it now. I believe it was available through cruchfield.com

Your other option is just ot get the adpater plate above, use a 5.25 two-way, and leave the tweeter open, or add a PVC tube pass through to your subwoofer box.

Remember that if you do have subs in the back, you're going to want your rear deck speakers to have their own enclosure to keep their air-space separate, otherwise they will sound distorted everytime the subwoofer thumps and forces the speakers to move up from the shared air space, especially if you have a ported box that isn't only pushing air, but sucking too.

hope this helps.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 11:36 PM   #6
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

^^^nice and thank you, for the post to show everyone what mean...cheers...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: