Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2006, 02:19 PM   #46
vertakul
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,285
are you forgetting labour??? i bet it's over 3000$ tuned and everything.. and your car has still not broke 14's yet... regardless.. I like your car thinair and it might seem as if I'm making an attack on your car.. when I'm not.

BennyL,

I'm not trying to put anyones car here down.. but now it's gotten to the point where someone has to call hondas a tin can, etc.. and it comes from the guy whos driving a bottom of the barrel E36 automatic 318. I would rather drive a civic than your piece of crap just to say I own a bimmer. Your car does nothing well, period... just has a label on it... and who the **** is coming into a bimmer forum talking smack? I've been in this bimmer forum for 3 years, you've been here for 3 months.. and I can promise you I know more about your own car than you do!!! I have not put down bimmers in any which way.. other than.. if you are trying to go fast.. you have picked the wrong car to do it with...
__________________
CURRENT - 1998 M3 cab -- estoril blue/white leather
'02 rsx type-s -- arctic blue pearl/black leather. (SOLD)
'89 240sx fastback - (GONE)
vertakul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 02:34 PM   #47
SickFinga
Moderator
 
SickFinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Location:
Posts: 16,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aschon
3gs? doubt it.

and i'm not talking some budget turbo setup that is going to jeopordize (spelling) the little realibility BMWs have..




Last guy on maxbimmer with Acura RSX-S that hit 13.999 blew his engine with just simple bolt-ons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschon
are you forgetting labour??? i bet it's over 3000$ tuned and everything.. and your car has still not broke 14's yet... regardless.. I like your car thinair and it might seem as if I'm making an attack on your car.. when I'm not.
You seriously picked the wrong person to argue with. Nelson installed all his mods by himself, except M3 cams
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 06:13 PM   #48
thinair
moderationistismingly
 
thinair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bradford, ON
Posts: 8,793
Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
Originally Posted by aschon
are you forgetting labour??? i bet it's over 3000$ tuned and everything.. and your car has still not broke 14's yet... regardless.. I like your car thinair and it might seem as if I'm making an attack on your car.. when I'm not.
My tuning is just off the shelf Active Autowerke software, nothing special. And as Vlad noted, I do all my work myself with the exception of my cams and alignments. It saves a lot of money. Anyone with a manual, a jack, stands, and a ratchet set can pretty much rip apart a car if they're patient enough.

Again, straight line times aren't all that matters. If that were true a Neon SRT4 would be the superior car. To some it may be, to me I like a well rounded performance vehicle. How many cars do you know that will pull 1 lateral and braking g's on street tires?
__________________
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 06:15 PM   #49
BennyL
7th Gear Member
 
BennyL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,652
alright, aschon.

im well aware of the fact that i drive a 318, and that its an auto. what can i do... i simply dont have the budget to ditch mine and pick up a 5-spd.

to say that my car does nothing well is an interesting statement. sounds pretty dumb. when's the last time you drove a civic top-down on a nice summer day? oh, right... the same time you had a comfortable and nice interior in a civic. or perhaps felt the way a car is supposed to feel, with rear wheel drive. which was never.

and for the record, i dont drive a bimmer just to say i own one. i drive a bimmer because i enjoy the way it drives, the way it looks, the way it feels, and the comfort.

the 318 isnt a bottom of the barrel BMW... its just an option for people who dont give a **** about speed. although my 318 has more than enough for a daily driver.

and it doesnt matter how long you've been a member, or how long i've been a member. to step in to somebody's thread, who is posting to share his information with his fellow BMW-lovers, and talk smack, is disrespectful. and to claim that your not talking smack is unfair. obviously, if we are enjoying our conversation here, and you step in telling us we are doing it all wrong... your talking smack.
__________________

My Ride: E36 318 Convertible - Black Ext. Peanutbutter Int.
BennyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 07:05 PM   #50
vertakul
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickFinga


Last guy on maxbimmer with Acura RSX-S that hit 13.999 blew his engine with just simple bolt-ons.
all motor and bolt-on's and blew his motor running 13.999.. i dont know about that.. he probably beat the living **** out of that car.. I don't hear about too many people blowing their K series motors. Oh and by chance, is it the same guy who's best-friend managed to blow up one or two brand new porsche cayanne SUV's.. I wonder how these guys treat their cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickFinga
You seriously picked the wrong person to argue with. Nelson installed all his mods by himself, except M3 cams
I'm not basing my arguement on the handful of guys here that do their own work.. it's the average guy like you and me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyL
alright, aschon.

im well aware of the fact that i drive a 318, and that its an auto. what can i do... i simply dont have the budget to ditch mine and pick up a 5-spd.

to say that my car does nothing well is an interesting statement. sounds pretty dumb. when's the last time you drove a civic top-down on a nice summer day? oh, right... the same time you had a comfortable and nice interior in a civic. or perhaps felt the way a car is supposed to feel, with rear wheel drive. which was never.

and for the record, i dont drive a bimmer just to say i own one. i drive a bimmer because i enjoy the way it drives, the way it looks, the way it feels, and the comfort.

the 318 isnt a bottom of the barrel BMW... its just an option for people who dont give a **** about speed. although my 318 has more than enough for a daily driver.

and it doesnt matter how long you've been a member, or how long i've been a member. to step in to somebody's thread, who is posting to share his information with his fellow BMW-lovers, and talk smack, is disrespectful. and to claim that your not talking smack is unfair. obviously, if we are enjoying our conversation here, and you step in telling us we are doing it all wrong... your talking smack.
I never once said anything negative about BMW's other than it's bang for buck in speed being sour. You started putting down Honda's referrin to them as 'rice rocket tin cans'. Someone creates a thread to get people's feedback and create discussion. I am discussing how those times are not very impressive, I can run the same times with a CAI and pulleys!!!! (300$) Maybe for you straight line speed is not important but this guy is obviously going to the track because he has an interest in it.. last time I checked.. this wasn't a thread you created.

btw, you can put the top down in a beetle, are you going to start driving one tomorrow?

one more thing, a 318 is definitely a bottom of the barrel BMW. Kinda like a neon for Dodge.. or is a neon just for people that don't like speed? lol.
__________________
CURRENT - 1998 M3 cab -- estoril blue/white leather
'02 rsx type-s -- arctic blue pearl/black leather. (SOLD)
'89 240sx fastback - (GONE)

Last edited by vertakul; 01-31-2006 at 07:10 PM.
vertakul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 07:14 PM   #51
BennyL
7th Gear Member
 
BennyL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,652
you sure do like comparing things that are completely different!

yeah, i must agree with you aschon. a 318 is JUST like a neon. great point there! in fact, i'd say a neon has more class than a 318!

bottom line here is, aschon, nobody here cares for your argument about speed. this is a bimmer forum at the end of the day. where pople discuss bimmers. its not a speed forum, where people discuss speed.

__________________

My Ride: E36 318 Convertible - Black Ext. Peanutbutter Int.

Last edited by BennyL; 01-31-2006 at 07:17 PM.
BennyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:21 PM   #52
vertakul
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyL
you sure do like comparing things that are completely different!

yeah, i must agree with you aschon. a 318 is JUST like a neon. great point there! in fact, i'd say a neon has more class than a 318!

bottom line here is, aschon, nobody here cares for your argument about speed. this is a bimmer forum at the end of the day. where pople discuss bimmers. its not a speed forum, where people discuss speed.

last time I checked this thread had to do with his time slips.. so who are you to tell me what anybody heres discussing?
__________________
CURRENT - 1998 M3 cab -- estoril blue/white leather
'02 rsx type-s -- arctic blue pearl/black leather. (SOLD)
'89 240sx fastback - (GONE)
vertakul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 08:12 AM   #53
SickFinga
Moderator
 
SickFinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Location:
Posts: 16,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aschon
all motor and bolt-on's and blew his motor running 13.999.. i dont know about that.. he probably beat the living **** out of that car.. I don't hear about too many people blowing their K series motors. Oh and by chance, is it the same guy who's best-friend managed to blow up one or two brand new porsche cayanne SUV's.. I wonder how these guys treat their cars.

That was Rolled_Out car and you can PM him about it if you want.
Porsche caught on fire because it got stuck, and turbo set fire to the grass, sice car couldn't be moved, it caught fire from the grass underneath the car. It had nothing to do with car's abuse or reability.
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 09:40 AM   #54
1BADRIDE
TECHGURU
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Lakefield, ON
Posts: 1,892
Send a message via MSN to 1BADRIDE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel
How to run 13's with a BMW in 3 easy steps:

1. sell BMW.

2. buy POS early 90's mustang 5.0.

3. run 13's all day long and stare at left over money in bank account.
Miguel nailed it.

Throw a 150-shot of the giggle gas and slicks then you'll be laughing. In fact, that is sort of what I did (minus the nitrous & slicks).
__________________
2010 BMW 335D - Many mods to come!
1BADRIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 02:35 PM   #55
spooner_dee
Has no idea whats goin on
 
spooner_dee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,948
Send a message via AIM to spooner_dee
Ok ill try this one more time. i already gave you the answer to why we mod.

Ill quote my self a little here. Why mod any car? At the local drag races, there were two old school beatles that two guys had brought, probably sunk a fortune into to restore and mod them. Now they were quick off the line but with a top speed of about 70 mph they werent exactly top winners.

Now knowing that thier car might lose alot, why spend the money to make it fast?

Reason being they like old school beatles and wanted to put their money their time and their work into a car of their choice and make it fast. When it comes to things like that they arent paying the most attention to how little they put in the car for results, they are looking more at results.

And the fact that they could make a car that old that has such little power to start with, go that fast off the line to me was amazing and i give them kudos for that.

When it comes to me personally with my car, i have plans for plenty of subtle cosmetic upgrades to give it that stock yeat moded apearence, as well as perforamnce upgrades. I.E. suspension, exhaust, chip, supercharger (already have intake). Yeah it will cost more but thats my choice what i want to do to my car to see the results i want.

If i wanted some cheap piece of shit i could dump little money in and make it seem fast id get a honda. But in all honesty id rather have my bmw look good and back it up.
__________________

As I was walking up the stairs, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish I wish he'd go away.
spooner_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 04:42 PM   #56
vertakul
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,285
Why are Hondas referred to as pieces of shit.. or a last resort car here?? A honda can do everything your car can, and more... for LESS!!
__________________
CURRENT - 1998 M3 cab -- estoril blue/white leather
'02 rsx type-s -- arctic blue pearl/black leather. (SOLD)
'89 240sx fastback - (GONE)
vertakul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 05:07 PM   #57
BennyL
7th Gear Member
 
BennyL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,652
aschon, dont you get the point man?

read spooner's post. read what i keep saying.

we like our BMW's. we like the final result of taking an E36 and doing what we wanna do to it. we arent trying to find a car that we can mod up to sub-14 times at the 1/4 mile.

so, just take your unkind words, and leave this thread alone.

thank you. bye bye.
__________________

My Ride: E36 318 Convertible - Black Ext. Peanutbutter Int.
BennyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 07:01 PM   #58
Zim Zimma
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by aschon
Why are Hondas referred to as pieces of shit.. or a last resort car here?? A honda can do everything your car can, and more... for LESS!!
I know someone who owns a Ford Festiva that would run circles around any honda...bmw..mercedes etc.. But guess what its still a Ford....Point is you can make a cardboard box fast if you wanted ( for cheap too)...We Bmw "enthuthiast" like the styling, handling qualities etc of our cars. The straightline go may not be on par with other "cheaper" cars, but that is not our sole fancy. Yes some of us try to compensate for this lack of "go" by putting on a few goodies. Sure they cost money and ya maybe they don't add as much as they would on say a honda.. But when we bought a Bmw we didnt purchase if for 1/4 abilities... And as thinair mentioned, to run low 14's you dont have to spend all that much money. So really I dont know what your trying to get at.

To sum all that up basically we modd for the same reason why everyone else does, personal satisfaction and some performance gains (whether they be big or small).

Everyone has their cup of tea...mine is Bmw..yours may be Acura.
Zim Zimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 09:15 PM   #59
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: ajax
Posts: 7,751
^^^so do I JAY LENO'S ............hehehhe...
__________________
87is325///2.7L..EVIL.....
03 beige GRAND AM and 94 white (slamed) PROTEGE
paul christians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 10:33 PM   #60
vertakul
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim Zimma
I know someone who owns a Ford Festiva that would run circles around any honda...bmw..mercedes etc.. But guess what its still a Ford....Point is you can make a cardboard box fast if you wanted ( for cheap too)...We Bmw "enthuthiast" like the styling, handling qualities etc of our cars. The straightline go may not be on par with other "cheaper" cars, but that is not our sole fancy. Yes some of us try to compensate for this lack of "go" by putting on a few goodies. Sure they cost money and ya maybe they don't add as much as they would on say a honda.. But when we bought a Bmw we didnt purchase if for 1/4 abilities... And as thinair mentioned, to run low 14's you dont have to spend all that much money. So really I dont know what your trying to get at.

To sum all that up basically we modd for the same reason why everyone else does, personal satisfaction and some performance gains (whether they be big or small).

Everyone has their cup of tea...mine is Bmw..yours may be Acura.

If someone is a car enthusiast they should be able to appreciate more than their 10 year old bmw's. I don't disagree with you one bit but 99% of you can't defend your bmws other than by saying "we like them". If you mod them, it's to see MAXIMUM performance, not minimal.. infact.. you'd want to see more since you are spending twice as much in parts!! Maybe your car's were built for handling.. but if you are taking it to a drag, and creating a thread about it.. I'm pretty sure I'm allowed to comment on how those times are weak.
__________________
CURRENT - 1998 M3 cab -- estoril blue/white leather
'02 rsx type-s -- arctic blue pearl/black leather. (SOLD)
'89 240sx fastback - (GONE)
vertakul is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2014