Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-30-2006, 12:05 PM   #31
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

maybe????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primus
provided he gets a set of REAL slicks!
No slick needed, but B.F drags are ok for this...
Old 01-30-2006, 12:27 PM   #32
BennyL
7th Gear Member

so does anyone wanna explain to me what each of these is:

3.15 LSD, M50 Manifold , Fan Delete Mod Kit, M3 Catback, Stock Airbox Debaffle + K&N

My Ride: E36 318 Convertible - Black Ext. Peanutbutter Int.
BennyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 12:58 PM   #33
Proliphic
Trying to stay on 4wheels

Send a message via MSN to Proliphic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel
How to run 13's with a BMW in 3 easy steps:

1. sell BMW.

2. buy POS early 90's mustang 5.0.

3. run 13's all day long and stare at left over money in bank account.

then that wouldnt be hitting 13's in a BMW now would it ?? lol that would be hitting 13's in a stang.. now please post the REAL 3 steps..
Motronix CAI
(Magic Fairy Dust )
Strut Brace
APEX Sport Springs
18" M3 CSL look-a-like's
Clear Corners All Around
6000K HID's
Thinline Angel Eyes

Black/Silver 2000 Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300R
8000K HID's
Clear Signals
(More to come)
Proliphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 02:16 PM   #34
vertakul
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooner_dee
thats just silly. You are comparing apples and oranges here. Every car responds completely different to mods. I could do the same mods as you and see less gains, i could do the same mods to my old eclipse and maybe see more.

Anywho my car responded real well to the CAI (K&N) I noticed better reaction time/throttle response a few extra ponies and stronger harder pulls at higher speeds.

With my old eclipse i did a very similar cold air set up and got more or less the same results.

My car isn't fast, id call it quick, and with a few simple mods i could make it quicker. and after my new job, i have plans of super charging... then i will be able to call it fast.

your working with an acura a car that more or less is designed by honda to have good performance and be easily modded to gain more.

a bmw while it is geared with performance in mind. It is more then anything a luxry car, a sport luxury car, so yes it is harder to mod, but that doesnt mean you cant see good results for A BMW.

remember apples and oranges here.

I know but unless you drive an M series bimmer.. why even bother making it fast?? BMW probably makes one of the nicest looking cars, exotics aside. I'd just slam the bitch on rims and you're done.. if you want to try and go fast do it in something made for it...

IE: the money Jazz probably spent on that z3 with s54.. if speed was what you're looking for.. why would you pick the least cost effective way and do it in a BMW.
vertakul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 02:22 PM   #35
BennyL
7th Gear Member

i DO believe this is a BMW forum. not an acura forum, and not a forum for people with opinions about fast cars.

this is a forum for ppl who love bimmers and thats it.

so WTF is all this arguing about?

Old 01-30-2006, 07:21 PM   #36
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
Originally Posted by aschon
thinair - I'm just saying.. BMW's respond really shitty to bolt-on's.. it's almost a waste of money to mod them...
So what you're saying is that BMW properly designed the parts that came stock, and that aftermarket companies don't have much room to improve on.

I don't think you understand how much faster a 328 and an M3 gets with a shorter diff, cams, manifold and software.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyL
so does anyone wanna explain to me what each of these is:
3.15 LSD, M50 Manifold , Fan Delete Mod Kit, M3 Catback, Stock Airbox Debaffle + K&N
3.15LSD - a differential with a 3.15:1 gear ratio, and has limited slip (Limited Slip Differential) so power is forced to both wheels. Stock on a 328 is a 2.91:1 gear ratio. This mod only really applies to 325 and 328's.
M50 manifold - the intake manifold on the M52's is restrictive, so many people swap in the manifold from the M50 engine (325, 525, 95 M3) into their 328's and 96-99 M3 engines.
Fan Delete Mod (FDM) - this modification removes the radiator fan that is bolted to the water pump, relying primarily on the electric auxilaury fan and a cooling system that opens the coolant to the rad earlier. The engine fan requires about 3-5hp to be turned.
M3 catback - a stock muffler from an M3. It's called catback because it's the entire section that bolts onto the catalytic converter and exits at the rear of the car.
Stock airbox debaffle + K&N - there is a noise baffle inside that stock airbox that can be removed for improved flow, the side effect is more induction noise, which is good or bad, usually depending on your age . K&N is a company that makes reuseable cotton air filters whcih claim better flow then stock paper filters.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 09:52 PM   #37
spooner_dee
Has no idea whats goin on

Send a message via AIM to spooner_dee
Quote:
I know but unless you drive an M series bimmer.. why even bother making it fast?? BMW probably makes one of the nicest looking cars, exotics aside. I'd just slam the bitch on rims and you're done.. if you want to try and go fast do it in something made for it...

IE: the money Jazz probably spent on that z3 with s54.. if speed was what you're looking for.. why would you pick the least cost effective way and do it in a BMW.

how can you say that?

Im not trying to fight, but its like saying why mod any car? why do people take old beetles and mod them? (i say that because at the local drag races 2 guys brought suped up old school beetles and raced the **** out of them, great off the line but with a top speed of 70ish they almost always lost) Your never going to turn it into a super car unless you spend a TON! but that doesnt mean you shouldnt. It depends on the person and what they like. Take a bmw for instance, someone might roll up on a completely stock looking bmw, and little be known, the owner modded the heck out of it and bamn you get your nuts roasted.

Honestly i have done the same my self, i see a car and i say why mod it, id never do it thats such a waste. But to who ever does it, they love it and take pride in it and enjoy their work, yeah it might not be as fast as a porshce, but so what, that doesnt mean it cant be quick and improved to a whole new level.

it might take more to mod a bmw to see the results you do with your lesser mods, but shit id rather keep my e36 put down the money and make it not only look nice (slammed with nice rims as you said) but hold up to the look. I want some go with the show.

and as said b4, if all i was really after was just a car i could throw a few bolt ons to and have a street racer i wouldnt have a bmw.

As I was walking up the stairs, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish I wish he'd go away.
spooner_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 09:57 PM   #38
spooner_dee
Has no idea whats goin on

Send a message via AIM to spooner_dee
Quote:
i DO believe this is a BMW forum. not an acura forum, and not a forum for people with opinions about fast cars.

this is a forum for ppl who love bimmers and thats it.

so WTF is all this arguing about?

no arguing benny, just a rational discussion.

But i do agree about the love bimmers part, thats what the site is geared towards, but i have no problem with people expressing their views about other cars. However its like i said, comparing apples and oranges.

No matter what kind of car site your on, there will always be those who favor other cars for whatever reason, and bring up interesting points. Its just our job as hard core bimmer fans to express our own car favortism (think i spelled that wrong) and let it be known exactly why we love our cars.

As I was walking up the stairs, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish I wish he'd go away.
spooner_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 01:17 AM   #39
BennyL
7th Gear Member

i realize that - but some of the things this guy is saying is are just completely out of place. as you mentioned - why try to tell us we are wasting our time moddin up our bimmers, if this is a bimmer enthusiasts site? you could say that about any car!!!

Old 01-31-2006, 09:07 AM   #40
vertakul
6th Gear Member

Quote:
i realize that - but some of the things this guy is saying is are just completely out of place. as you mentioned - why try to tell us we are wasting our time moddin up our bimmers, if this is a bimmer enthusiasts site? you could say that about any car!!!
you could say that about any car?? the point of modding is to see results.. so wouldn't you go and spend the least amoutn of money possible to see the most results.. that would make sense right?? I'm just trying ot understand why you guys go so hard in debt just to run 13's in 1/4 mile.. and i dont even think many of you are doing this after spending tons of dough on your cars.. anyway.. im not bashing BMW i'm just trying to understand where some of you are coming from..

thinair - for next to nothing i can be running high 13's.. how much have you spent on your car already.. and you're still trying to squeeze a 13.999 out of your mods.. said in one of your other posts...

I assume the c'mon arguement here is going to be "we love our bmw's..".. well, I love BMW's too.. doesnt mean they don't have their own position in the aftermarket scene... they are pimp luxury cars with a bit of sport to them.. you guys get it all confused and wonder why these cars have 20 repairs a month.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:27 AM   #41
///MsAniTy
6th Gear Member

To get a 328 into the 13's will cost 3g's what is your point?
///MsAniTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 12:08 PM   #42
vertakul
6th Gear Member

3gs? doubt it.

and i'm not talking some budget turbo setup that is going to jeopordize (spelling) the little realibility BMWs have..
Old 01-31-2006, 12:27 PM   #43
///MsAniTy
6th Gear Member

Quote:
3gs? doubt it.

and i'm not talking some budget turbo setup that is going to jeopordize (spelling) the little realibility BMWs have..
Ask THINAIR how much all of his mods cost him. In the 3 years I have owned my 328 I had minimal problems with it, biggest being 02 sensor. Plus my car has about 200k on it now.
///MsAniTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 01:25 PM   #44
BennyL
7th Gear Member

yeah, what the hell are you talking about reliability for?

mine is pushing 165,000 KM and i have no problems with it. runs clean as a bitch.

who do you think you are coming into a bimmer forum and talking smack. dont you have better things to do with your time? if we wanted to drive rice rocket tin cans, we would get hondas. but we like our ****ing bimmers.

POINT is. this is a bimmer forum. it is here to discuss BMW's and the modifying of said vehicles. if there are people here who want to take their car to the track or to the 1/4 mile. then let them. who the **** cares what you have to say?

if i wanted to go fast for cheap i'd buy a damn motorcycle.

Old 01-31-2006, 01:30 PM   #45
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
thinair - for next to nothing i can be running high 13's.. how much have you spent on your car already.. and you're still trying to squeeze a 13.999 out of your mods.. said in one of your other posts...
I don't mod my car to focus on drag, if I did I'd have like 15x10" rear wheels with 275 width tires. I wouldn't give a shit about suspension or brakes, etc, etc.

I bought my car with solo racing in mind. I have spent less on my car then the difference it was for an M3 when I bought it (my car = 30g's, m3 = 42g's, 3.5 years ago). I still haven't invested $12gs of modding into my car, yet my car will outhandle a stock M3, keep up to a stock M3 in a straight line and brake on par with a stock M3, but I pay insurance in a 328.

I have no regrets yet.

I play at the strip for fun, mostly to test my launching, I've only been there 3 times, it's not like it's all I do. I'll take an auto-x or track day over the strip anytime. Plus to get to get the same drag times as me wouldn't take much, a 3.38LSD($700), intake manifold ($150+plus some hose clamps), M3 cams ($300), fan delete mod ($120), software (varies), 235 width tires (varies). That's not $3000. Most of my modding funds have gone into brakes and suspension, not power.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: