Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-25-2006, 01:38 PM   #1
FLIPbmw
2nd Gear Member

Struggles to get out of 2-3k rpm range

I did some searching with keywords: popping, struggles, hesitates, stutter.

This thread came close:
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/show...light=backfire

Car: 1992 325i automatic 130,000 km. Ultramar supreme, I may switch over to a higher octane to test it out soon.
ECU swaped out b/c of similar problems last year, fuel pump has been changed. Spark plugs were changed 6 months ago and solved a similar problem, but not as big as this. Plugs are CDN tire copperhead (or wter the brand is).

I'm experiencing similar problems. Once I start my car I can feel the car shake as if it wants to die. As I get out of the drive way it bogs and struggles as I give it some gas. Trying to get onto the highway from the service road is hell as I try to speed up, my rpm would rev nicely to ~2500, struggle like that is the limit and at the same time as I try to give it more gas to catch up to speed, I would hear/and feel like someone was shooting a gun inside my engine. I would sometimes hear 2-3 pops as I slowly get out of the 2500rpm range. After 4000rpm it is fine (but I try not to get that high anyways).

If I floor the car and kick the rpms up to 4000 right away, from 4000-6000rpm the car moves nicely. The same thing happens when in d3,d2,d1 and less engine stuttering while I'm stopped at a light in netural.

I don't recall smelling anything wierd lately, but a week or 2 before this started happening I remember smelling an odour that was sort of pleasing, but got me thinking something was leaking like oil/coolant. FYI my car is leaking something as I always come back to my car and there is a nice rainbow in the pool of water under my car, but my car has been oil treated in the engine/under the car 2 years ago.

Would a code reader tell me exactly what the problem is?
I know I need to check, ignition coil, maybe fuel filter, check sparks to make sure their still good. Someone said it could be timing? I also read about engine 'retardation' with fuel/air ratio b/c temp sensor, or other sensor.

Last edited by FLIPbmw; 01-25-2006 at 01:41 PM.
FLIPbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 01:57 PM   #2
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Code reader should tell you your problem.
Sounds like ignition coils though.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 02:08 PM   #3
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
PM proliphic. he'll laugh at you for 25 mins (cause he's a jerk) and then help you

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 10:58 AM   #4
BennyL
7th Gear Member

does proliphic have a code reader?

My Ride: E36 318 Convertible - Black Ext. Peanutbutter Int.
BennyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 07:25 PM   #5
Ital_325i
Lost in a world of Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by proprone
PM proliphic. he'll laugh at you for 25 mins (cause he's a jerk) and then help you
I dont know why thats so funny, but 25 mins seems like a long time to be laughed at. It could drive you mad.
Ital_325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 11:03 PM   #6
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via MSN to thinair
Change your fuel filter, it's cheap, and it probably hasn't been changed in a while anyway.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 11:15 PM   #7
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Is the Engine light on?
Old 01-27-2006, 08:34 AM   #8
jeffrie
Addict

When you changed your plugs were they white tipped?
Possible your intank fuel pump is burnt.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 12:09 PM   #9
AMI Motorsports
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIPbmw
FYI my car is leaking something as I always come back to my car and there is a nice rainbow in the pool of water under my car, but my car has been oil treated in the engine/under the car 2 years ago.
If there is a rainbow in water it typically indicates a fuel leak somewhere. This could definately be your problem if it's one of the lines leaking your car could not be getting enough fuel pressure and cause it to bog. Oil spray 2 years ago should have nothing to do with anything.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:28 PM   #10
Proliphic
Trying to stay on 4wheels

Send a message via MSN to Proliphic
By the sounds of it its prolly a fuel system problem rather then ignition.. as was mentioned fuel filter, bad lines etc.. but if u want to check ur coils it cant hurt.. when you remove the coils the 1st thing to look for on the bottom is cracks (Hairline) if u check all and find NO crackes then put them all back in.. start car and systematically disconect them one by one to see if u get a change in idle.. if u unhook one and your idle changes (starts to drop or bog) then that coil should be fine.. if u remove one and there is NO change at all, then thats prolly a bad coil.. you can also check with a volt meter but if u dont have one this is an easy way to check for bad coils.. hope that helps..

P.S. Im sure ill be corrected on some points here lol.
Motronix CAI
(Magic Fairy Dust )
Strut Brace
APEX Sport Springs
18" M3 CSL look-a-like's
Clear Corners All Around
6000K HID's
Thinline Angel Eyes

Black/Silver 2000 Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300R
8000K HID's
Clear Signals
(More to come)
Proliphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 02:06 PM   #11
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
I still say ignition coil before fuel pump or anything.. what leads me to believe this is the telltale sign of more than one ignition coil failing, "I would hear/and feel like someone was shooting a gun inside my engine. I would sometimes hear 2-3 pops as I slowly get out of the 2500rpm range." I've never heard of lack of fuel doing this...?

As AMI mentioned, the rainbow under your car usually means leaking gas somewhere.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: