Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2002, 12:43 PM   #1
ronin
2nd Gear Member

Question Best Mechanic in Toronto

Who's very happy with their current BMW mechanic?
My usual guy took off to sunny California to fend for myself ... now I need to find a new guy!
I am looking for competancy, honesty and charges reasonably.
Let me know who you're using and any details.
I'm in Thornhill.

Thanks!

Ronin

Old 01-16-2002, 01:37 PM   #2
VP M3
2nd Gear Member

Thumbs up

I have been dealing with Steve Gailits at Bavarian Motors on Woodbine Avenue in Markham for 10 years. He has workded on all of my past (E36-318is, E36-325is, E34-M5) and current (E36-M3) BMWs. He is a great mechanic, very honest with great rates. Raven Performance (John Dimoff) is also on the same premises. These guys know their Bimmers!

Vico
Old 01-16-2002, 04:52 PM   #3
bobo
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by VP M3
I have been dealing with Steve Gailits at Bavarian Motors on Woodbine Avenue in Markham for 10 years. He has workded on all of my past (E36-318is, E36-325is, E34-M5) and current (E36-M3) BMWs. He is a great mechanic, very honest with great rates. Raven Performance (John Dimoff) is also on the same premises. These guys know their Bimmers!

Vico
Go with Steve... my dad said he's really experienced
Old 01-17-2002, 11:01 AM   #4
ronin
2nd Gear Member

I've actually done business with Steve long ago. He is a good mechanic, but I definitely did not find him cheap, esp. when he charged big time for parts. Is he doing the "cash" thing now or is he still hung up with paying both govt's?

Ronin

Old 01-18-2002, 10:50 AM   #5
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Steve, and especially John's (Raven) prices are all jokes! They charge way too much for the work performed. Yes, Steves an awsome mechanic and really knows his stuff (for the average non-performance oriented work) if money is no object to you. I also recommend Beach motors on Queen St.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
Old 01-18-2002, 11:00 AM   #6
ronin
2nd Gear Member

Hey Randy,

Thanks for taking us out of that Steve *lovefest* *drunk*
As you say, the guys alright, but he ain't Jesus.
I'm looking for good but more reasonable (ie. cheaper!).
Thanks,

Ronin

1998 328i
1989 325iX

Old 01-18-2002, 11:04 AM   #7
VP M3
2nd Gear Member

So now that the "Steve Lovefest" has ended, lets here some other options. I have stuck with these guys because nobody I have talked to has ever been able to recommend anyone else. I live in Etobicoke and must admit that taking my car all the way to Bavarian can be a royal pita.

Vico
Old 01-18-2002, 11:31 AM   #8
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to GR8 Ride
A couple of alternatives...

Everybody complains about Steve's pricing, but I've found a lot of places that are far, far worse.

Any $tealer is going to be quite a bit more money, and if you're shooting the performance route, won't work with you at all.

Secondly, I've dealt with Autotrends, and PJC Autoworks, and found both of them quite a bit more expensive than Bavarian.

The work at PJC was marginal at best as well. Autotrend did good work, but nothing any different than Bavarian's.
I've never had a problem with Steve's prices.

I can't speak to their work quality, but Lakeside Motors has always had fairly cheap prices on parts. I've bought most of my *plain* vanilla brake pads from them, and they're pretty cheap. I don't know about their labour rates, but I can't imagine their wildly out of control.

Personally, if you're looking for a cheaper place than Bavarian or Autotrend, I'd suggest Beach Auto (heard good stuff about them, and I live just down the road), or Lakeside Motors (Kennedy / Lawrence area).

Pat
Old 01-22-2002, 10:43 PM   #9
arnie
1st Gear Newbie

Used Macnie Motorwerks - Sandy, for the past 5 years.
Very pleased with service and is only a few minutes from home in Markham

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: