Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-26-2006, 02:46 PM   #31
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Originally Posted by the bachelor
I just had the same problem as you last night and I replaced the slave a few weeks ago. Looks like a master, so have you purchased one and where did you find the best price? Have you replaced yours yet and was it a bitch to get at? Damn, if we had running cars, then we could help eachother out on this one.

Shawn
416-457-9178
Hey Shawn. I had to pump the clutch pedal for a good 3 minutes to regain pressure, and was able to drive. Mark C gave me some good advice over the phone too. I think my clutch is still losing pressure though.. I'm trying not to drive for 12+ hours then checking it to see for sure. I know if I pump up the clutch pedal again, it'll get pressure again. Apparently that's how you know if it's the master or slave cylinder. I picked up a used master cylinder just in case, and I'll be putting my car on the hoist on Friday (tomorrow) to check it out. Could also be I didn't close the bleeder screw fully... kinda difficult for me to do in the dark in freezing rain at night time in my driveway. I'll let you know how it goes.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 02:50 PM   #32
the bachelor
2nd Gear Member

Cool. I had been doing the 3 minute pump thing (my car) for two months until I changed the slave and it has been fine until last night. I have a master being delivered by 4pm and I will try to change it tonight and let you know. Damn old cars......I am going after I am finished.
the bachelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 03:18 PM   #33
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
If you don't have a garage to work in, might want to wait till tomorrow for the install.. warming up to 5 degrees, opposed to the -4 is it right now.

If the master cylinder failed or is leaking, you should have fluid in your driver's footwell...
Old 01-26-2006, 03:27 PM   #34
325isedan
2nd Gear Member

I had the same problem 2 years ago on my 92 325i sedan, I'd hope in the car and the pedal would be completely depressed to the floor. I'd have to pump it with my hand to get it be normal again, then I'd have to fill it up with the brake fluid dot 3 shit. It's the worste but a 100 bucks later and after a hour or so messing around without the proper jack and tools it was done and it still has (knock on wood) the same hard feel as it did two years ago when I changed it. I got the one thats not made by bmw but for them, the guy at bmw told me there notorious for failing at around 120k k and up on all e36's, jus like the ignition coils.
325isedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 03:34 PM   #35
Justin e36
---

^ you changed the clutch slave cylinder?

See the thing about my clutch is, it wasn't at the ground.. it sprang back no problem all the time... it wasn't sitting low at all. But pressing it and it'll touch the ground without any resistance, and just spring back up. That's the part which confused me... the symptoms are a lil different from what everyone else had...
Old 01-26-2006, 04:51 PM   #36
Hasselhoff
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin e36
^ you changed the clutch slave cylinder?

See the thing about my clutch is, it wasn't at the ground.. it sprang back no problem all the time... it wasn't sitting low at all. But pressing it and it'll touch the ground without any resistance, and just spring back up. That's the part which confused me... the symptoms are a lil different from what everyone else had...
Justin,

Are you saying you can pump the pedal and get your clutch back? If so, you've definately got air in the system.

You mentioned that you pressure bled the system earlier - my advice would be to grab a buddy and have him (or her) help you bleed manually. A useful trick is to pump the pedal a few times before applying constant pressure while you crack the bleeder screw.
Hasselhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 04:57 PM   #37
Justin e36
---

Yeah I'll be re-bleeding on Friday as well. I'm still waiting to test the car out to see how much pressure is lost.. if it's completely lost, then there's a leak somewhere still...
Old 01-26-2006, 05:13 PM   #38
Hasselhoff
3rd Gear Member

hydraulic leaks suck!
Hasselhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 06:10 PM   #39
Mark.C.
1st Gear Newbie

did you have any fluid at the pedal?
1031 Meyerside Dr. Unit #3
(905) 696 8330
Mark.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 06:20 PM   #40
Justin e36
---

Hi Mark. I checked my driver's footwell.. no fluid there. I'm going to head outside right now to check my clutch pressure...
I've had the car sitting there for over 12 hours now.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:09 PM   #41
Mark.C.
1st Gear Newbie

hows the clutch
1031 Meyerside Dr. Unit #3
(905) 696 8330
Mark.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 07:21 PM   #42
windsor318is
Nitrous Junkie!

um.. justin just curious.... how high do you need to jack your car up for you to actually fit under there LOL!
Old 01-26-2006, 11:35 PM   #43
Justin e36
---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.C.
hows the clutch
Well, I tried it out and had no problems at all.. until the car got warm, it was grinding a little bit and difficult to put into gear with the clutch stop installed. Problem went away with pumping the clutch a bit. So I guess there is still some air in the system. I'm going to put the car on the hoist tomorrow and bleed it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsor318is
um.. justin just curious.... how high do you need to jack your car up for you to actually fit under there LOL!
Funny you mention that, my dad commented on that when he came home from work. Although I lost quite a bit of weight I still have the 3-ton jack all the way up, my jack stands don't go high enough to support the car so I have to put bricks under the wheels to support it in case it slips. Even then I'm limited to how much mobility I have under there.. :S
Old 01-27-2006, 01:47 AM   #44
325isedan
2nd Gear Member

yeah dude theres air still in there keep bleeding it and keep us posted like the other guy said hydraulic leaks suck and make sure u get aftermarket one, they last longer. and yah just, it was the slave cylinder I changed.

Last edited by 325isedan; 01-27-2006 at 01:50 AM.
325isedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 02:06 AM   #45
windsor318is
Nitrous Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin e36
Well, I tried it out and had no problems at all.. until the car got warm, it was grinding a little bit and difficult to put into gear with the clutch stop installed. Problem went away with pumping the clutch a bit. So I guess there is still some air in the system. I'm going to put the car on the hoist tomorrow and bleed it again.

Funny you mention that, my dad commented on that when he came home from work. Although I lost quite a bit of weight I still have the 3-ton jack all the way up, my jack stands don't go high enough to support the car so I have to put bricks under the wheels to support it in case it slips. Even then I'm limited to how much mobility I have under there.. :S
LOL!! sorry but i would dir to see that in real life!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: