Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-24-2006, 12:52 AM   #1
superman123
slushbox champion

m3 climate control not working

hey there i have a 97 m3 4door ...anyways i bought about 2 months ago ...all well but turn the key ....put the climate control on full blast and nothing ...no fan noise (and yes there is a fan )....u can hear the vents change when changing the settings but no fan ...
this might be very stupid question ...but the radio is locked need to put in the code ....would that matter ....the reason for the question in because im not sure if theres a connection between the two .....(not use to the climate control dunno where to start trouble shooting )did check the fuses

any idea's
superman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:07 AM   #2
rico328i
5th Gear Member

climate control

Nope there should not be a connection between your radio and climate control. You should get the code though, might need to go to your nearest BMW dealership, bring in your ownership and they'll give it to you. Should be free too. Rare!

Does your climate control work intermittently? If so, it's a common late E36 problem. I experienced it myself a couple of years ago. Doesn't sound like the issue, but just in case - here's the link:

http://www.macadamizer.com/bmwfix.html

If not....you've got some researching ahead of you...

Good luck. and keep us posted.

Rico
rico328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:11 AM   #3
superman123
slushbox champion

thanks ...it basically doesnt come on at all...and about the code already called bmw they said i should stop by ....but its a us model they migt have a hard time finding it

thanks for link
Old 01-24-2006, 01:31 AM   #4
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
doesn't matter if its us model, even european model. will be ok

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's supersports, ZHP knob, UUC short shift GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
http://absolutehid.ca hid kit
propr'one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 10:14 AM   #5
silver328
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman123
hey there i have a 97 m3 4door ...anyways i bought about 2 months ago ...all well but turn the key ....put the climate control on full blast and nothing ...no fan noise (and yes there is a fan )....u can hear the vents change when changing the settings but no fan ...
this might be very stupid question ...but the radio is locked need to put in the code ....would that matter ....the reason for the question in because im not sure if theres a connection between the two .....(not use to the climate control dunno where to start trouble shooting )did check the fuses

any idea's
had the same problem with mine. did the fix outlined in the link - working trouble free for about 6 months now. very common problem with late e36 models.

if you're not mechanically inclined let me know - i know a guy who can do the fix for you pretty cheap.

-j
silver328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 10:46 AM   #6
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
providing you've checked your fuses:

if the climate control is intermittent, then it needs a new resistor.
if the climate control partially works, it needs a new resistor pack.
if the climate control doesn't do anything at all (don't hear the vent's changing) then the climate control needs replacing.
if the fan never turns on, but everything else works, then your blower fan is seized or dead. <-- sounds like your problem.

J
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:14 PM   #7
BennyL
7th Gear Member

Justin knows too much - i think he's a spy, or perhaps an alien.

My Ride: E36 318 Convertible - Black Ext. Peanutbutter Int.
BennyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 06:24 PM   #8
superman123
slushbox champion

lol...thanks for the help
do u think the blower would go even after just 90 000km ?
i should actually contact the previous owner..cos the car got stolen ..then the insurance company sold it ...and it endded up with me
all they stole was the rims ,bumbers ,side skirts ,seats ,and three doors ...no damage was done to the car tho ...the only wires that was cut was the door wires ...but right now the only thing i need is tires and its good to go ...i already put new doors on ....(quick hint when u buy doors off the wreckers they cut the wires they dont just unplug them ....that means a 300dollar door turns into a 600dollar door ...i was lucky i had a part car to work with
by the way im selling that one(parts car ) ...ill post a post in the for sale section with pics and details
Old 01-24-2006, 06:53 PM   #9
superman123
slushbox champion

and if somebody was wondering if i was mechanically inclined ...i do all the work myself ...i rearly let somebody else touch my cars

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: