Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-03-2006, 09:19 AM   #1
Manimillion
Photographer

Educate me about stereo's

I really never cared or did a lot of research about stereo's. How do you tell a good speaker from a bad speaker? As in which specs are the most important? Does the PMPO power that they advertise really matter?

I am speaking in terms of speakers now, not subs. I am looking to get 4 speakers, 2 components and a deck soon.

Thanks
Manimillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 10:07 AM   #2
Gamite

well the thing about speakers are, everyone has different preferences. I went with Boston Accoutics, I would say they are good all around. Good mids and highs.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 10:10 AM   #3
Manimillion
Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamite
well the thing about speakers are, everyone has different preferences. I went with Boston Accoutics, I would say they are good all around. Good mids and highs.
I want a crisp sound. I don't want an "internal organ thumping" system. I still donno how to tell apart a good speaker from a bad one, I can only look at the prices and make guesses
Manimillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 10:14 AM   #4
Gamite

u need to actually go and listen to what you want. Remember, that a good amp is just as important as the speakers.

Talk to mitch, he's been going nuts over which speakers he wants. He should have a good insight.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 12:59 PM   #5
Primus
super blinger

the thing about a system is you cant go cheap on anything, you can buy the best speakers in the world but if your amp sucks they will sound like poop!

RMS is what your looking for, thats the continious power output that the speaker can handle constantly, peak power means nothing, get a deck (if you plan on running an external amp) with the most volts per pre outs possible otherwise you will get distortion in the speakers and the deck will make ur nice system sound liek crap
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 03:50 PM   #6
koncise
all you need is one mike

Send a message via MSN to koncise
when it comes to speakers, price really does seperate the bad ones from the ok ones to the great ones. I went from bad ones, straight to great ones. But I still regret wasting money on the shitty pioneers. If you really care about the sound, dont cheap out. I paid $1300 (installed -required a bit of custom work) for my 3-way components and dont regret a cent of it.

Last edited by koncise; 01-03-2006 at 03:52 PM.
koncise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 04:04 PM   #7
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZiMMie Send a message via MSN to ZiMMie
Quote:
Originally Posted by koncise
when it comes to speakers, price really does seperate the bad ones from the ok ones to the great ones. I went from bad ones, straight to great ones. But I still regret wasting money on the shitty pioneers. If you really care about the sound, dont cheap out. I paid $1300 (installed -required a bit of custom work) for my 3-way components and dont regret a cent of it.
1300, HsOLLEYY SHIT.i thought i was gonna get a good component for $300. i gotto hear ur system. All u missin its an alpine headunit

www.StanceFactory.com
ZiMMie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 06:56 PM   #8
koncise
all you need is one mike

well the install was $500... so the components cost me about $800.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:49 PM   #9
325iSBimmer
///MMMM VIDA

Send a message via MSN to 325iSBimmer
refer to Primus' post because he is right on with the quality of every component in the system will affect how the others will sound, applicable even to the wiring. I've had an amp fried becuase the RCA cable i used was cheap and it split and alowed moisture in which crossed the leads making the subs clip which i think may have also damaged one of the voice coils inside. I've since learned and made sure the wires are of the best quality possible. IXOS makes a great quality wire, and as a result they are very expensive. I think its about $100 just for the RCA cable. Now you dont have to go that expensive if you're on a budget but when my crappy RCA failed it left a $1000 amp fried.

As far as amps and power ratings are concerned, as Primus stated, RMS power is the figure you want to be comparing because it is the amount of power that an amp makes below a certian level of distoriton I believe its something like >.05% thd. (may vary depending on manufacturer) generally cheap japanese made amps like sony, kenwood, pioneer etc... are rated in MAX power. which can pretty much be any number the amp can produce even if it means that the distortion level is bad. Im not sure exactly and im sure it depends but I think RMS power is generally 1/3 of peak power. So JL amp rated at 300 watts would be somewhat equal to 900 watt sony or kenwood.(generally) I personally have only bought Zapco amps but i think JL audio makes great amps too. I think most american and europian derived amp producing companies rate their amps based on RMS while companies like sony and kenwood trying to get the general public inticed by the "higher" number on their amp. Just dont think a 600 watt sony amp is better than a 300 watt JL.

When it comes to speakers the variety is even bigger variety in what to look for. The power ratings, like in amps, will tell you how "loud" the speaker might be. again look for the RMS becuase thats how much power the speaker can handle before it starts distorting the sound. you start pushing it past that with shitty peak power and its gonna be blaring loud and sound like shit. im some case its not even that loud, just shitty sounding. the other big part about a speaker is what its made out of. the rubber or material on the edge, the cone, the casing right down to the qaulity (and size) of the magnet and wires for the coils. I've used Infinity for a few years and was never disappointed in the qaulity of the sound. I think Cerwin Vega makes some decent speakers as well but i havent had much experience with them. JL is always a safe bet too.

Im sure the components that cost koncise $800 were somewher in the range of MB Quart. or perhaps those.

Headunits are a whole other story. so many variables to making a good headunit. I dont want to make this too long so just keep in mind price does tell a big story. like in most cases, you get what you pay for. You want a better sound you're gonna have to pay more. A high voltage pre out is almost maditory for running a nice crisp sounding system ( i think its pretty standard on most mid range decks) and then just the qaulity of the deck will determine how nice the sound will be coming out of it. In my opinion, I dont bother looking for decks with the amps built in (the 4x60 watt or whatever the deck is rated at. I go for decks that just have straight pre outs (this was a few years back already, not even sure how many decks are still coming with speaker outs)

this should be enough reading for a few minutes, I know its been enough to type, but once you've considered these thoughts start looking around at what different companies have to offer and just read. Thats how i learned. lots of reading on how amps make their power and how speakers decipher it and what makes the qaulities you want in a sytem better or worse. and so on.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:47 PM   #10
e24_635csi
still wants a turbo...

I agree about cheaping out. I have tons of friends who have bought Sony and Pioneer and other brands not been happy with the quality. They crackle and make funny noises. I spent about $1000 on the components as well. And Do not regret them one bit. They are MB Quart, check em out. I went with JL Audio amps (500/1 to match the sub, & a 300/4 for the MBQ's). But they are very good. I find JL a little overpriced but I swallowed it and bought them because I knew i wouldnt be disapointed.

Koncise: what components did you buy?
Matt

e24 635csi -e28 528e/m30b34 - e28 M5 - e34 M5 - e46 330xi M

Last edited by e24_635csi; 01-23-2006 at 08:49 PM.
e24_635csi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 08:49 PM   #11
koncise
all you need is one mike

focal

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: