Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-29-2006, 03:56 AM   #31
STALKER
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to STALKER
well the theory behind that would be larger surface area for braking, more area to make contact with pad and caliper, would not get as hot either. I think.

2008 AW/FR E90 M3
//RAC RG63//Volk TE37//AP Racing BBK//Akrapovic Exhaust//Dinan SW//Dinan Intake//JRZ RS1 Coilovers//Dinan Monoball Control Arm Bearings//VRS Diffuser//
STALKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 07:43 AM   #32
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickN
Brembo drills them mainly for weight savings since BBK rotors are typically big and heavy. I'd stick to drilled too in that case.
Actually Brembo drills them because that's what people want (for asthetics). All their BBK's are available slotted. Brembo actually stated publicly that they spec x-drilled on Porsches, Lambo's, etc because people like the way it looks, not for functional reasons.

All this talk about brakes, and no one has mentioned tires. Tires are what stop the car, brakes just stop the wheels.... Having a $10,000 Brembo brake set is useless for example if you have Kumho 712's. Sure your brakes will never fade, but they'll never be pushed to their limit either.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:57 PM   #33
RickN
AKA Yorgi

In my books a BBK is pretty much a waste on a street driven car. The only advantage on the street is pimp factor and a nicer pedal feel, but there is almost no performance increase. The downside is mega increase in pad/rotor replacement cost and a big increase in unsprung weight. You can lock up street tires with the OEM setup and track rubber with racing brake pads. So like thinair said, you need better tires if you want to stop faster.

On a track the big rotors act as a heat sink and reduce average rotor temps. This makes the pads last longer and usually eliminates fade and overheating.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - sold
'88 325iC - sold

RickN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:05 PM   #34
RickN
AKA Yorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim Zimma
Quick question... Is it possible / beneficial to get larger rotors on the stock calipers? Or is this not possible/ useless?
It's not possible as far as I know. You need to upgrade both the caliper and rotors at the same time.

If you don't track your car I would not bother unless you really want to do it for looks. For example if you have 20" wheels stock rotors can look pretty wimpy.

You can add brake ducts if you are having overheating problems at the track and don't want to go for a BBK. It made a huge difference for me.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - sold
'88 325iC - sold

RickN is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: