Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-23-2006, 08:54 PM   #16
BMW_7
Econobimmer Racing

Send a message via AIM to BMW_7 Send a message via MSN to BMW_7
I use Hawk HP in winter and im fine

Helprace, a helpdesk & community platform
BMW_7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 11:06 PM   #17
Mtl_e30M3
2nd Gear Member

I am no expert... but I would think twice before buying slotted rotors and would not go for drilled rotors (for your described use). Usually more asthetic than a question about heat-dispersion, the downside being they tend to wear unevenly and thus decrease braking ability exponentially over time.
Mtl_e30M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 11:14 PM   #18
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Run OEM or Brembo replacement rotors.

Slotted/Drilled are not necessary, and only increase your chances of problems.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 07:53 AM   #19
fukes
2nd Gear Member

Would someone be able to explain why slotted are so bad. I know why cross drilled ones are but I was always told the slotted are the best because they grip more then the OEM ones.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:10 AM   #20
JazzM
6th Gear Member

My setup is as follows

Floating Euro rotors
Hawk HPS pads for the street (great overall pad for daily driving, quiet, dust free, and good performance for autoX, etc.)
Hawke HT10 pads for the track (dedicated track pad, they squeel like a pig when cold but once they warm up, look out, your eyeballs are on the windshield LOL)
SS Lines
Brake fluid with 600 Degrees boiling point

T.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:16 AM   #21
fukes
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzM
My setup is as follows

Floating Euro rotors
Hawk HPS pads for the street (great overall pad for daily driving, quiet, dust free, and good performance for autoX, etc.)
Hawke HT10 pads for the track (dedicated track pad, they squeel like a pig when cold but once they warm up, look out, your eyeballs are on the windshield LOL)
SS Lines
Brake fluid with 600 Degrees boiling point

T.
Where would you suggest getting these from. Any good online shops you can get these from. I have never seen "Floating Euro rotors" for sale before.

Thanks
Old 01-26-2006, 01:34 PM   #22
RickN
AKA Yorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fukes
Would someone be able to explain why slotted are so bad. I know why cross drilled ones are but I was always told the slotted are the best because they grip more then the OEM ones.
Slotted are bad because:
a) They cost more and give no increase in performance in most circumstances. Modern pads do not off-gas so they do not help in that area.
b) They cause increased pad wear due to their slight cutting action.
c) They slightly reduce the surface area of the rotor so they actually reduce braking force. Think slick tire vs same slick tire with treads cut into it.

Stick to OEM blanks, they are the best by far and cheap too. Floating euro rotors are awesome if you can get them.

Go to a solo 1 race and see what everyone is using. You won't see much slotted or drilled.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - sold
'88 325iC - sold

Last edited by RickN; 01-26-2006 at 01:45 PM.
RickN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 01:38 PM   #23
STALKER
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to STALKER
I have a Brembo BBK, cross drilled, no complaints.

2008 AW/FR E90 M3
//RAC RG63//Volk TE37//AP Racing BBK//Akrapovic Exhaust//Dinan SW//Dinan Intake//JRZ RS1 Coilovers//Dinan Monoball Control Arm Bearings//VRS Diffuser//
STALKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 01:44 PM   #24
RickN
AKA Yorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER
I have a Brembo BBK, cross drilled, no complaints.
Heh...we are talking stock calipers here, it's a totally different story once you get into BBKs Mr. Baller.

Brembo drills them mainly for weight savings since BBK rotors are typically big and heavy. I'd stick to drilled too in that case.
'01 330Ci - sold
'88 325iC - sold

Old 01-26-2006, 01:51 PM   #25
JazzM
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fukes
Where would you suggest getting these from. Any good online shops you can get these from. I have never seen "Floating Euro rotors" for sale before.

Thanks
BMW sells the euro floating rotors OE. You can also buy them cheaper on ebay and online.

T.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:11 AM   #26
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickN
Slotted are bad because:
a) They cost more and give no increase in performance in most circumstances. Modern pads do not off-gas so they do not help in that area.
b) They cause increased pad wear due to their slight cutting action.
c) They slightly reduce the surface area of the rotor so they actually reduce braking force. Think slick tire vs same slick tire with treads cut into it.

Stick to OEM blanks, they are the best by far and cheap too. Floating euro rotors are awesome if you can get them.

Go to a solo 1 race and see what everyone is using. You won't see much slotted or drilled.
Everyone listen to this guy. Good advice!

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 12:53 AM   #27
STALKER
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal
Everyone listen to this guy. Good advice!
some modern pads do gas, such as some Pagids, so know what you are getting and match the rotor to it.

2008 AW/FR E90 M3
//RAC RG63//Volk TE37//AP Racing BBK//Akrapovic Exhaust//Dinan SW//Dinan Intake//JRZ RS1 Coilovers//Dinan Monoball Control Arm Bearings//VRS Diffuser//
Old 01-27-2006, 03:17 AM   #28
RickN
AKA Yorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER
some modern pads do gas, such as some Pagids, so know what you are getting and match the rotor to it.
Pej, pads have not off-gassed since the mid 80's. Note that in the same sentence that Turner Motorsports claims that Pagid pads out-gas, they recommend that you buy their new gas slotted rotors to solve this problem. Hmm.....very interesting.

But even better is this claim at Turner: "Pagid brake pads are not compatible with previously used rotors, especially if used with a carbon or Kevlar based race pad."
LMAO It only takes a few days of driving around on the street with your race pads still installed to grind off the material transferred to the rotors when they were hot on the track. In most cases where you switch from track to street pads you need to do the "cleaning" of the rotors before the street pads will work properly.
'01 330Ci - sold
'88 325iC - sold

Old 01-27-2006, 03:24 AM   #29
STALKER
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickN
Pej, pads have not off-gassed since the mid 80's. Note that in the same sentence that Turner Motorsports claims that Pagid pads out-gas, they recommend that you buy their new gas slotted rotors to solve this problem. Hmm.....very interesting.

But even better is this claim at Turner: "Pagid brake pads are not compatible with previously used rotors, especially if used with a carbon or Kevlar based race pad."
LMAO It only takes a few days of driving around on the street with your race pads still installed to grind off the material transferred to the rotors when they were hot on the track. In most cases where you switch from track to street pads you need to do the "cleaning" of the rotors before the street pads will work properly.
and there you have it....

2008 AW/FR E90 M3
Old 01-29-2006, 02:12 AM   #30
Zim Zimma
3rd Gear Member

Quick question... Is it possible / beneficial to get larger rotors on the stock calipers? Or is this not possible/ useless?
Zim Zimma is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: