Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-19-2006, 12:16 AM   #1
*Luv_it*
3rd Gear Member

hey guys a lil help is much appreciated.....

so here it goes.....last week everytime i locked or unlocked my car doors i would here a clicking sound...and just yesterday as i was heading out i couldnt unlock my doors....the key turns but the locks wont open.....is there ne way i can get into my car without going crazy and breaking the window like through the back or something.....i have a '99 jetta gls....i think the lock cylinder broke....my dad says it could be the battery....but when i open my trunk the light still comes on....but he said its because it doesnt require as much power as opening the doors.....i dunno does ne one have ne suggestions and what it might cost to replace the lock cylinder if that ends up being the problem...thanks
*Luv_it* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:20 AM   #2
Wannabe
Northwood.

can you not go threw the trunk?

what if you tried opening the passenger side door. and also do you not have the keyless?
2002 Dodge Durango SXT
1985 BMW 325e
1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
1995 Nissan Altima SE
1994 Mazda MX-6 RS
1984 Buick Riviera
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:23 AM   #3
*Luv_it*
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe3
can you not go threw the trunk?

what if you tried opening the passenger side door. and also do you not have the keyless?
i tried the trunk but i couldnt find a handle to open the seats.....i only have one lock which is on the driver's side....and no i dont have keyless
Old 01-19-2006, 12:31 AM   #4
Gianpaolo_E46
6th Gear Member

lol i think the handles are on top of the seats beside the headrests on the inside of the car. and it cant be the battery because if u put the key in and turn it doesnt use the battery. theres something wrong with the lock. get it towed to a dealer.

try the ski pass if you have one.
Gianpaolo_E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:34 AM   #5
*Luv_it*
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianpaolo_E46
lol i think the handles are on top of the seats beside the headrests on the inside of the car. and it cant be the battery because if u put the key in and turn it doesnt use the battery. theres something wrong with the lock. get it towed to a dealer.

try the ski pass if you have one.
whats a ski pass?
Old 01-19-2006, 12:53 AM   #6
coolhand
Banned

Call a tow truck and tell him that you locked your keys in your car under the seat or somthing. That way when he tries to open it and if it dosnt work his job isnt done and he dosnt get paid, if that don't work then you gotta get it towed.
coolhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:54 AM   #7
coolhand
Banned

He can also try to unlock it from the passenger side, if the driver side dont work.
coolhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:56 AM   #8
*Luv_it*
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekniq
Call a tow truck and tell him that you locked your keys in your car under the seat or somthing. That way when he tries to open it and if it dosnt work his job isnt done and he dosnt get paid, if that don't work then you gotta get it towed.
yeah but its put in park...hows he going to tow it?
Old 01-19-2006, 02:24 AM   #9
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
flatbed?

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 02:27 AM   #10
E36er
West Coast Contact!

assuming is a bimmer, they just pic the back end up and tow it (Duh)...had mine towed a few times
Old 01-19-2006, 02:45 AM   #11
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
uhh, she CLEARLY said it was a jetta gls. but it is late, and you're not jstalin. so im not hatin

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 06:57 AM   #12
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Luv_it*
so here it goes.....last week everytime i locked or unlocked my car doors i would here a clicking sound...and just yesterday as i was heading out i couldnt unlock my doors....the key turns but the locks wont open.....is there ne way i can get into my car without going crazy and breaking the window like through the back or something.....i have a '99 jetta gls....i think the lock cylinder broke....my dad says it could be the battery....but when i open my trunk the light still comes on....but he said its because it doesnt require as much power as opening the doors.....i dunno does ne one have ne suggestions and what it might cost to replace the lock cylinder if that ends up being the problem...thanks
I think you're right, part of the locking mechanism is broken. If the lock cylinder itself was broken it would turn in circles.. or the "lock" and "unlock" positions would be all messed up.

All Jetta's have a nice little courtesy feature I bet you didn't know about though. Turn the key twice to unlock and hold it there for a few seconds, the windows (and sunroof if you have) will roll down automatically. This is to ventilate your Jetta on a hot day.

If your battery is dead, then this will not work. You will need to get a positive and negative terminal onto your battery (where is it located?).. I remember a friend's Jetta had it located in the front driver's side wheel well. Then you can unlock your doors / wind down the windows.

Your last resort is to call a tow truck operator who has a slim jim, and ask him to shimmy your car open. Tell him you want a balloon used, to make sure he doesn't scratch the paint or bend the frame on the door.

Need more info, feel free to ask.

Justin
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 06:40 PM   #13
*Luv_it*
3rd Gear Member

well....two weeks aFTER I POSTED MY LOCK PROBLEM....MY LOCK CYLINDER HAS ARRIVED.....NOW MY QUESTION IS....DOES NE ONE KNOW HOW MUCH A LOCK CYLINDER USUALLY GOES FOR ? IF SO PLS REPLY...thanks

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: