Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-18-2006, 05:40 PM   #16
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
If you want a factory look, the get the sunglass holder setup, it looks stock with VDO vision gauges. Even the backlight is the same amber as the rest of the gauges.

Why people get gauges? The factory coolant temp gauge sucks, the needle point straight up has a variance of like 50コF. Oil temp is a pretty important gauge, especially if you like to drive hard in the winter. Coolant temp is not a sign of engine operating temperature. Oil pressure is also very important to those of use who like to drive spirited, the last thing you want to do is starve the oil pump under hard corner, that gauge will let you know if/when it's happening. That's the setup I plan to get, oil temp, pressure, coolant temp.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. It痴 habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, I知 Nelson, and I知 a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:24 PM   #17
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinair
If you want a factory look, the get the sunglass holder setup, it looks stock with VDO vision gauges. Even the backlight is the same amber as the rest of the gauges.

Why people get gauges? The factory coolant temp gauge sucks, the needle point straight up has a variance of like 50コF. Oil temp is a pretty important gauge, especially if you like to drive hard in the winter. Coolant temp is not a sign of engine operating temperature. Oil pressure is also very important to those of use who like to drive spirited, the last thing you want to do is starve the oil pump under hard corner, that gauge will let you know if/when it's happening. That's the setup I plan to get, oil temp, pressure, coolant temp.
Not to mention voltage is important for idiots like me who have so many electronic mods in their vehicle and want to make sure the alternator isn't getting sucked too hard, or that they don't get stuck with a dead battery at a drive-in theatre and stuff. It's happened before.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 07:09 PM   #18
PedroBMW
Hooked on Boost

Quote:

thats exaclty what I wanna get Oil Temp and Pressure, Figured I could live with the shitty factory water temp,

http://www.foldingtrailers.ca
PedroBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 08:06 PM   #19
BMW_7
Econobimmer Racing

Send a message via AIM to BMW_7 Send a message via MSN to BMW_7
I need boost, air/fuel, oil temp, oil pressure

Helprace, a helpdesk & community platform
BMW_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 08:27 PM   #20
BennyL
7th Gear Member

why is air/fuel important? and is it only important to you, or should it be to everyone?

by the way Justin, do u know how much that thing costs by VDO? it looks amazing.

My Ride: E36 318 Convertible - Black Ext. Peanutbutter Int.
BennyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 08:43 PM   #21
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyL
why is air/fuel important? and is it only important to you, or should it be to everyone?

by the way Justin, do u know how much that thing costs by VDO? it looks amazing.
$180 USD.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:44 PM   #22
thinair
moderationistismingly

I don't understand why a lot of people get air/fuel gauges to tell you the truth. First off unless you get a wide band they suck, plus if you're running lean, what are you going to do, richen the mixture on the side of the road somehow?

Even if you have a standalone and a laptop at your disposal, it's something that should be done on a dyno.

Even worse are people who buy A/F gauges for their stock engines with no tuning. I could think of a 100 other things I'd rather spend money on.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. It痴 habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, I知 Nelson, and I知 a drivaholic."
Old 01-18-2006, 08:47 PM   #23
Justin e36
---

Quote:
I don't understand why a lot of people get air/fuel gauges to tell you the truth. First off unless you get a wide band they suck, plus if you're running lean, what are you going to do, richen the mixture on the side of the road somehow?

Even if you have a standalone and a laptop at your disposal, it's something that should be done on a dyno.

Even worse are people who buy A/F gauges for their stock engines with no tuning. I could think of a 100 other things I'd rather spend money on.
because some of us have a S-AFC II.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:51 PM   #24
windsor318is
Nitrous Junkie!

or nitrous....
Old 01-18-2006, 09:02 PM   #25
E36ForL!fe
Grabbed Second

Send a message via AIM to E36ForL!fe
Ok so say i get oil temp, pressure, coolant temp guages, how hard are these to wire up to work?
Old 01-18-2006, 09:59 PM   #26
BMW_7
Econobimmer Racing

Send a message via AIM to BMW_7 Send a message via MSN to BMW_7
^I'm wondering as well. I guess the only place to get a set would be BMP?...

Helprace, a helpdesk & community platform
BMW_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:13 PM   #27
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

Quote:

without wideband they just pulse back & forth give a less accurate reading.

I actualy can Richen my fuel on the fly(while driving even) with my not even top of the line fuel controller.
it's a piggy back system that adds fuel (extra injectors) into the intake before the Throttle body

with any type of boost you want to know if your lean (even if its not the best reading/ wideband)
running lean boosted is a good way to melt pistons, etc/
Old 01-18-2006, 10:37 PM   #28
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdbley'sBro
with any type of boost you want to know if your lean (even if its not the best reading/ wideband)
running lean boosted is a good way to melt pistons, etc/
On a turbo car you can also just reduce the boost, what are you going to do with a blower?
Old 01-18-2006, 10:38 PM   #29
Jari
4th Gear Member

I came to the same conclusion as someone did earlier that without a wideband o2 the a/f guage is useless. I went with exhaust temp instead. I think if I ever do a supercharger project again I'll spend the money for a wideband 02 so I can tinker with tuning on my own. (I had the smt-6 piggy back and it would have been nice to do a little tinkering with the a/f in my driveway )

I didn't have a permanent boost guage but instead used my hand held vaccume/boost guage when needed.

Last edited by Jari; 01-18-2006 at 10:41 PM.
Jari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 01:50 AM   #30
BennyL
7th Gear Member

Justin, what is S-AFC II?

My Ride: E36 318 Convertible - Black Ext. Peanutbutter Int.
BennyL is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: