Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Multimedia > Videos and Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-18-2002, 03:59 AM   #1
Rutger
1st Gear Newbie

E46 M3 drifting

AMATEUR MODE ON:

http://www.gummen.org/images/album/r...oval_divx5.avi
http://www.gummen.org/images/album/j...juni_bmwm3.avi
http://www.gummen.org/images/album/r...rift_divx5.avi

This was done during a Trackday me and friends organized at a little circuit in Holland.
Rutger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 09:07 AM   #2
330DTM
Cinematographer

Send a message via ICQ to 330DTM Send a message via MSN to 330DTM
Oh I saw those videos back in the Summer or even just before it!

They really beat the crap out of their M3s drifting like that. hehe
It looks cool, but I wonder how much speed their scrubbing off?
Old 09-18-2002, 10:51 AM   #3
GladdoM3
5th Gear Member

Nice style......I am assuming that you are the driver in the video. If so , you have some skillz. Very nice !
What gear were you in for the best looking powerslides ? 2nd or 3rd ? Both have serious pull
How do you like the 19' rims ?

Sold My M3. Got a New Subaru STI
GladdoM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 10:44 AM   #4
Rutger
1st Gear Newbie

I take the oval in second gear. Third gear is too fast for the oval.

When i approach the corner I get of the gas for a moment, steer a little (too sharp) and then floor the pedal again. This creates an easy to control oversteer situation.

The exit speed out of the corner is +/- rev limiter in second so about 100km an hour.

Drifting in third gear is also possible but can only be done on large roundabouts (100 meters in diameter or more). I have such a roundabout in my area but haven't got any videos of that (yet) :-)

The tire wear is quite reasonable. But after two rounds you've got to let the tires cool down! I can make 20 sessions of 2 laps on fairly used tyres but I can't make 5 laps in a row on new tires. As soon as the tires are hot they're burnt within moments!
Old 09-20-2002, 08:42 PM   #5
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

rutger..thats some AWESOME driving..the drifts were awesome! how do u get all the smoke to come out during drifts? it only happenned a few times..and btw, do all SMG come with 19"? plus they look different than the 6spd models..the SMG looks more bubbly while the 6spd looks more longer...is it jus me or does any1 else notice?

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 08:44 AM   #6
GladdoM3
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by E46_lover
and btw, do all SMG come with 19"? plus they look different than the 6spd models..the SMG looks more bubbly while the 6spd looks more longer...is it jus me or does any1 else notice?

WHAT ?

Sold My M3. Got a New Subaru STI
GladdoM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 02:14 PM   #7
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

gladdo i mean the smg's look like they have a shorter wheel base....dont u think?

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Old 09-23-2002, 02:30 AM   #8
Rutger
1st Gear Newbie

E46_LOVER, I drive stick ...

The models are exactly the same, so it's only you thinking that :-)

Thanx for the compliments about me drifting!

I'll post some more when I've got the material. The smoke from the tires comes from flooring the pedal :-)

With a 330ci sports (without LSD) you can REALLY smoke the tires when drifting! But then again, it's only 1 wheel that's being smoked!

http://www.gummen.org/images/album/j...i_bmw330ci.avi

This is a friend of mine, drifting with his 330ci sport.
Old 09-23-2002, 10:35 AM   #9
SickFinga

is it possible to drift in e36 m3??
I don't think it has enough power though
SickFinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 04:15 PM   #10
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

yea it is...wudnt u jus have to play around with the cluth, and gas? like turn, swerve it in a direction, rev to redline and feather/dump the clutch? thats the wat i do it in GT3 with my 328ci

or u cud jus use the e-brake

Old 09-24-2002, 03:41 AM   #11
Rutger
1st Gear Newbie

Both the E46 and E36 have lots of torque. I did the same thing on the same oval with my E36 M3 when it was standard and then again when it was chipped.

Don't do clutchdumps with your car. This can cause serious drivetrain damage after a while.

Me and friends always go drifting in the weekend when it's wet. On a wet surface it's best to practice. Drifting on dry surface is much more difficult and you'll get real hard tankslappers if you're late with correcting the car from the drift.

The following works well for me when drifting on wet (and dry):

* Seek for a good long corner where traffic can be overseen and make sure there are no curbs!
* Steer into the corner, steer a little sharper then the corner actually is.
* Now there are two ways to 'set' the car and be able to drift:
1. apply more gas
2. lift off the gas and then reapply some more (this will cause unbalance in the car and it starts to slide)
* Correct the car by steering back and hold the gas, you'll notice that the car will follow the corner while your frontwheels are pointing out of the corner now!
* The last part is the most tricky part, you're now drifting but you want the car stabilized again. You now need to steer just like following the corner again but do it easy! To fast or rigorous corrections will make the car uncontrollable and you'll end up making a 180. (hold the gas while correcting the car again). You van also get your foot off the gas, the car will settle then as well but it won't be as smooth as when holding the gas!

Happy practicing :-)

DO NEVER DUMP THE CLUTCH, THIS DAMAGES YOUR CAR!

The above only works for bimmers with LSD (Limited Slip Differential).
Old 09-24-2002, 01:50 PM   #12
SickFinga

Rutger our M3s are only 240hp and 236 pounds of torque.
In what gear you were in e36???

Anyone know a place in toronto where we can practice? Anyone wanna try it??
Old 09-24-2002, 03:17 PM   #13
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

sickfinga i'd like to come and watch! maybe pics and vid too.....how bout this place i heard of, u can test out ur car on long straights and awesome turns, the pavement is really flat and great for racing! plus no cops will hassle u...i beleive its called a race track! keep it there...some1 will probably get hurt man. plus..roads arent wide enuf to TRY stuff like this for the first time. i'd come but i wudnt suggest it.

Old 09-24-2002, 03:55 PM   #14
SickFinga

Quote:
Originally posted by E46_lover
sickfinga i'd like to come and watch! maybe pics and vid too.....how bout this place i heard of, u can test out ur car on long straights and awesome turns, the pavement is really flat and great for racing! plus no cops will hassle u...i beleive its called a race track! keep it there...some1 will probably get hurt man. plus..roads arent wide enuf to TRY stuff like this for the first time. i'd come but i wudnt suggest it.

E46 I'm not talking about doing it on the yonge street

I'm talking about a big parking lot during the night
Old 09-24-2002, 04:02 PM   #15
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

thats even worse? how the hell wud u know where ur sliding? cuz u wud have to do it in a lot with no parking lamps...so wheres the light gonna come from? im not gonna sit in shotgun and hold a flashlight to make sure ur going in the right place lol! know wat i mean?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: