Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-17-2006, 12:46 AM   #1
sillyE36
2nd Gear Member

Advice on Brakes please...

Ok, after deciding not to grab the front M break Set-up off of TEMP because my winter rims are 16", Im left woundering if anyone has some good advice on other alternatives to Rotors and Pads for my 328is.

I have been looking into Elite Auto Parts cause they have Brembo Rotors and PBR Pads. Ive also seen Zimmerman Rotors on other sites and im woundering how they are or how they stock up against brembo's? Any info/ advice? Also is cross drilled better than slotted? etc...My car is pretty much stock so i dont need any big break Kits but ive noticed that these places sell the rotors by the pair for around 160-180 a pair. Big difference compaired to 170 a piece at BMW.

So any helpful info would be greatly appriciated on personal experience and where to buy rotors and pads locally.

Thanks
Old 01-17-2006, 11:43 AM   #2
rico328i
5th Gear Member

brakes

Yeah. This is a tough subject when it comes to cars. I think a lot of it will come down to preference, price, and what you 'need' them for. Ex. tracking, plain street, or replacement

You can probably get a set of Brembo blanks for about $150 /front set.

slotted or cross-drilled is strictly up to you. I've had both x-drilled and plain blank. won't do x-drilled again.

At the moment, I'm running Brembo blanks w/Axxiss Ult. on the front and OE rear. I'd like to try a different set of front pads next. I do auto-x and track the car.

Good luck. YOu have a lot of researching to do......
rico328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 12:14 PM   #3
cisco911
6th Gear Member

Okay, 170 each at the stealer is the biggest rip-off around for breaks. Depending on how hard your driving is, thats what will help you make your choice. Me personally, once my front brakes are gone, I'm going to switch to x-drilled. I had them on my VR and it made a difference. On the highway at high speeds, if I had to hit the brakes agressively, the stock rotors would warp almost instantly. When I switched to x-drilled. Problem went away. X-drilled allows for the disks to not overhead which will make your pads last longer. Also, the holes allow for the brake dust to leave the surface easier so as to not scatch the rotor surface. Not a big fan of slotted, unless its x-drilled and slotted. Only problem I find with x-drilled is that if you park your car for the winter, that the rotors get rusty around the holes which create alot of noise.
I'm gonna go with x-drilled (brembo or zimmerman) with OE or good quality aftermarket to avoid noise. Performance pads(if you go with race quality) make alot of noise because of the harder compound.
My 2 cents
Old 01-17-2006, 12:38 PM   #4
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
As a note, X-drilled rotors stop WORSE then blanks. They fade quicker at well, they had good initial bite, but suck for anything else. Plus they're prone to cracking, even with cast holes.

Personally for street, get blanks or slotted, some decent dustless pads, good fluid and call it a day.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 12:47 PM   #5
cisco911
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinair
As a note, X-drilled rotors stop WORSE then blanks. They fade quicker at well, they had good initial bite, but suck for anything else. Plus they're prone to cracking, even with cast holes.

Personally for street, get blanks or slotted, some decent dustless pads, good fluid and call it a day.

My VR had vastly improved braking, stopped on a dime actually. As for the x-drilled cracking, this will happen if you use cheap quality rotors. The holes need to be spaced properly so that they don't crack. The main benefits of x-drill over blank is that it won't warp as easily under heavy breaking and it won't kill your pads as quickly.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:48 PM   #6
Blades
Your opinion is to long

you can always get stainless steel brake lines helps a bit but not much ... or 4 piston calipers
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 01:56 PM   #7
sillyE36
2nd Gear Member

ok, so then my next question would be, are the brembo or zimmerman oe replacement rotors better than OEM? Is there someone that prefers one over the other due to personal experience? Is the material that brembo and others... use cheap grade material compared to OEM?

Thanks
Old 01-17-2006, 02:02 PM   #8
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco911
My VR had vastly improved braking, stopped on a dime actually. As for the x-drilled cracking, this will happen if you use cheap quality rotors. The holes need to be spaced properly so that they don't crack. The main benefits of x-drill over blank is that it won't warp as easily under heavy breaking and it won't kill your pads as quickly.
Brakes pressing against cheese graters will wear less than when stopping using blank rotors?
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 02:36 PM   #9
SickFinga

Quote:
They all crack, Porsche rotors, Ferrari rotors, Mercedes rotors( I know they prolly use the same supplier, but I assume they would use the best)

they warp easier too.

Anyway, no one seriously racing uses crossdrilled rotors anyway.
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:13 PM   #10
cisco911
6th Gear Member

Anyone racing doesn't use metal rotors AT ALL, regardless of x-drilled or not. They use ceramic. I've seen and dealt with porsche and benz, not so much ferrari and they crack not under normal use. Have you ever seen the thickness/size of a porsche TT rotor? Its not small or thin by any means of the imagination. As for the cheese grater comment, with pads being made from less and less metal to stop noise, heat comes into play alot. The hotter the rotor gets the faster the pad will wear. I know people that have benz's and bimmers with blank rotors and go through pads in 15 to 20k, while people that I know that drive CLs and S classes(heavy cars) with OE x-drilled last longer. However, how you treat the brakes also counts. I've had only good experieces with x-drilled.
As for performance-wise, if it actually hinders braking compared to blank rotors, why do porsche, ferrari, mercedes use them? Why do big brake kits come with them???
Old 01-17-2006, 03:14 PM   #11
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Anyone racing doesn't use metal rotors AT ALL, regardless of x-drilled or not.
ceramic rotors.. or pads?
i thought ceramic rotors are still fairly new?
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:30 PM   #12
cisco911
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin e36
ceramic rotors.. or pads?
i thought ceramic rotors are still fairly new?
All race cars runs ceramic rotors and pads I believe. Thats why you see them glowing red when they brake hard. However, prices on ceramic discs and pads (the real deal) are too expensive that only a race team can afford it. The ceramic brake option on a 911 TT is $20K!!!! Ceramic pads that your probably thinking is the stuff that people use now on cars, which are suppose to be quieter(less squeeking). Companies such as raybestos make "ceramic" pads, but they are not the real deal. It has a percentage ofceramic in the compound or something.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:55 PM   #13
SickFinga

here you go, Brabus brakes

And here are some racing cars.

PTG E36 M3

PTG E46 M3

Subaru WRC brakes

ALMS Porsche brakes
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:55 PM   #14
DINAN 3
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to DINAN 3
I've got the scoop for you.....

have tried them all and the best setup sofar is Zimmerman cross drilled and cadmium plated rotors + PBR Ultimate ceramic brake pads + S.S. brake lines + Motul brake fluid.
First of all.....I was told that the cross drilled Zimmerman rotors are factory produced that way...seperate from the non drilled ones...so no worries about some clown thinking he's an expert at drilling rotors + no warping or cracking what so ever.
Second, the cadmium plating prevented any rusting of my rotors.....they look brand spankin new...shiny just like the first day I installed them and that was 2 winters ago. I've received many compliments on them.
Thirdly, the braking performance has been vastly superior over BMW rotors.....even now that I've hit the very end of their life cycle.

I highly recomend this setup.
In fact, I'm planning on ordering another set from Elite Auto Parts today.
Zimmerman C.D. front rotors are C$195 + tax and includes the cadmium plating. That's only $45 more than Brembo set.
PBR Ultimate brake pads are C$71 + tax for the fronts and $43 + tax for the rear.

Best,

Marv.
DINAN 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:56 PM   #15
BennyL
7th Gear Member

for the record, the stealership told me that most of the OEM rotors are zimmermann. im not sure if that is correct, but i assume they know what they are talking about.

if, for some odd reason, you decide to go with OEM parts, make sure to let me know, as i can get you a better price at the stealership.

now... i have a question to post to the knowledgeable ppl here. im in the same boat as sillyE36, as i need new front pads BADLY (and possibly rotors).

so i know shit-all about pads. as far as rotors go, i'll get blanks in the front. if i ever need rears, i need ventilated, since thats what comes stock on the convertibles.

but i need your help with pads!!!!! what are my options, what are the differences?

i can get Monroe pads at Canadian Tire for $60 or some high-end AC-Delco pads for $90 at Vaughn Auto. OEM pads from the stealership are $125 for the front set. and i also found a guy on ebay who can get me ceramic pads by TruStar for $80 shipped.

what are ceramic pads? is that a good price? does anyone know Trustar? are they good?

HELP!!!

My Ride: E36 318 Convertible - Black Ext. Peanutbutter Int.
BennyL is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: