Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-16-2006, 05:03 PM   #1
Jim .E.
E90 n00b

Network Help

k my sister has the tendancy to keep sending stupid songs to people on msn when there too dumb to download them themselves and its killing my bandwith and making me lag on anything i do...

how do i cut her off the network through my router (192.168.2.128) without knocking myself offline...

or whats the port for MSN so i can just have my firewall completely block off MSN file transfer
Jim .E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 05:06 PM   #2
Jim .E.
E90 n00b

i read somewhere that it uses 6891-6900 for file transfer...would just blocking these do it?
Old 01-16-2006, 05:13 PM   #3
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via MSN to thinair
If you have implicitly opened those ports on your router, they're being blocked already on incoming connections.

Some routers allow you to block outgoing connections to a certain port, which is what you want to do. What router do you have?

You could just accidentally unplug her patch cable when you feel she's bogging you down, just to make the transfer fail.

Also, keep in mind that by blocking those ports, you're also blocking Torrents.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 08:55 PM   #4
Manimillion
Photographer

What kind of a router do you use?

On some of the linksys routers you can limit the bandwith between users. So you can limit her upload bandwith to lets just say 10kb/s. And allocate the rest for yourself.

I use the Linksys WRT54 Router, its not expensive, something between 50-100 bucks. Just get that, upgrade the firmware, then limit your sisters bandwith.

Problem solved.
Manimillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:24 PM   #5
Jim .E.
E90 n00b

i have a SMC7004VBR
Old 01-16-2006, 09:38 PM   #6
thinair
moderationistismingly

log into your router, under the 'Firewall' menu, go to the 'access control' submenu. Put in your sisters IP address, and check off what services/ports you want to block.

You might also want to statically assign/reserve her IP address in the DHCP server.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
Old 01-17-2006, 12:42 AM   #7
sirex
King Sirex

disconect her internet, tell her the service went down.
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 01:08 AM   #8
jeffrie
Addict

I don't know how but you can prioritize bandwith to your I.P. address only seen it done (sucks for them when you log on),
Maybe "help" can help direct you into doing this yourself.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 02:05 AM   #9
Betray
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to Betray Send a message via AIM to Betray Send a message via MSN to Betray
check if you have QOS.. if you doo reduce that too 1kb lol
Betray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 12:49 PM   #10
Jim .E.
E90 n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinair
log into your router, under the 'Firewall' menu, go to the 'access control' submenu. Put in your sisters IP address, and check off what services/ports you want to block.

You might also want to statically assign/reserve her IP address in the DHCP server.
i dont see "access control" however, i have the following options:

parental control
MAC filter
Website Blocking
Advanced (gives me just E-Mail settings and to turn on VPN)
DMZ
Old 01-17-2006, 05:05 PM   #11
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim .E.
i dont see "access control" however, i have the following options:

parental control
MAC filter
Website Blocking
Advanced (gives me just E-Mail settings and to turn on VPN)
DMZ
Weird, I downloaded the manual for your router, maybe a different revision.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:00 PM   #12
Jim .E.
E90 n00b

meh sok Nelson dont stress it
Old 01-17-2006, 08:13 PM   #13
thinair
moderationistismingly

ok, easier method, if he's using XP SP2, get on her computer, block MSN in the windows firewall.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:32 PM   #14
Jim .E.
E90 n00b

shes using win98SE
Old 01-17-2006, 10:33 PM   #15
thinair
moderationistismingly

install zonealarm by accident and block msn

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: