Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-2006, 10:19 AM   #31
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member
 
Deep 3.2TL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Milton
Posts: 3,230


Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious
to add to what nelson said, the T series from IBM is still pretty good , i have a T30 for work and its pretty good, but im hearing the t41/t42's arent as good as the T30's

To be honest, that isn't true... The advancements in the T series units have continued in the T4X series and the quality is still there... We have an excellent success rate with these units and those who get them, absolutely love them. no major known issues to talk about here! Obviously you'll get the one off's - every manufacturer will have those...

Deep
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 10:26 AM   #32
2slow2race
6th Gear Member
 
2slow2race's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 1,411
speaking of laptops,
my laptop @ work keeps overheating.
i think thats it cause the fan stays on for a long time and gets loud and all of a sudden it turns off.
and the bottom of the laptop is very hot.

anybody know how i can fix this?

it's an Acer laptop.
2slow2race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 10:32 AM   #33
sirex
King Sirex
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep 323
To be honest, that isn't true... The advancements in the T series units have continued in the T4X series and the quality is still there... We have an excellent success rate with these units and those who get them, absolutely love them. no major known issues to talk about here! Obviously you'll get the one off's - every manufacturer will have those...

Deep
yeah exactly. There will always be a few that dont work right, or get messed up.

My last peice of a advice is this:

This seems to be your first big purchase when it comes to electronics. Keep in mind what you plan on purchasing is what you need for today dont think about 4 years down the road.

If you start going into the market with the "well the price is going to drop" then you will be waiting for ever. Technology is always advancing and price is always dropping. You buy something today for $1500 in 1 month its 1000$.

Look for the best price performance ratio, something thats built solid - toshiba, IBM, HP are all great manufactures. Dell is too - we have a dell laptop its working fine, we ve had it for 3 years now. I would stay away from MDG if anything.

Last thing for you to do is just go out there and buy it. If Deep 323 canc give you that price he quoted in one of his posts 1400 for that 2ghz centrino I would get that.. Infact Id jump on that right now if I had the money or if I wasn't in the market for a tablet PC... Justin E36 also has a really good computer for sale as well. I would definately consider those options.. IF their prices are too high then like I said, check out tigetdirect.ca, or canadacomputers.com and aim for a lower end lap top. itll cost 400$ and do the same job - e.g Internet, word processing.

the worst thing is being out 1400$ and realising you dont need all this power to get what you need done.

Last edited by sirex; 01-17-2006 at 10:35 AM.
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 10:42 AM   #34
Justin e36
---
 
Justin e36's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: etobicoke
Posts: 12,331
Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slow2race
speaking of laptops,
my laptop @ work keeps overheating.
i think thats it cause the fan stays on for a long time and gets loud and all of a sudden it turns off.
and the bottom of the laptop is very hot.

anybody know how i can fix this?

it's an Acer laptop.
1. Use compressed air to clean out the fans.

2. Get a laptop docking board with dual fans on the bottom. (sometimes called a fan pad) Here is an example of one: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...457111&CatId=0

3. If you're still having problems, then the thermal paste on your CPU most likely hardened. You'll have to open up the laptop, scrape off all the hardened thermal paste, and apply fresh paste again. If the thermal paste hardens (very common in laptops), then heat transfer to the heat sink and fans is limited, will often result in the system shutting off randomly.

J
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 11:16 AM   #35
2slow2race
6th Gear Member
 
2slow2race's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 1,411
awesome
thanks for the info
ill check it out
2slow2race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 11:27 AM   #36
jstalin
capitalism=crisis
 
jstalin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Via Dolorosa
Posts: 3,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickFinga
You really dont know what you are talking about.
Great argument tosser, mind explaining yourself?
__________________
Rise with your class, not above your class
̿ ̿̿'\̵͇̿̿\o=(̪●)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿
jstalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 11:43 AM   #37
SickFinga
Moderator
 
SickFinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Location:
Posts: 16,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstalin
Great argument tosser, mind explaining yourself?
And your argument was very informative, right?

Anyway since you carry your laptop, it has to be strong. One of the weakest points are hinges for the screen. Because they are made strong enough to hold the screen, they usually put too much stress on the plastics.
After repetitive closing and opening of a laptop, plastic starts to crack at the high stress points.


Since cheaper laptop use weaker plastics, they also tend to bend when you grab your laptop by the corner. After couple of months it will start cracking there too.

Another place that gets damaged is a palm rest. Again, cheaper laptops usually use cheaper paint, so after couple of months of use palm rest paint starts rubbing off.

And last, cheaper no-name laptops use cheap batteries, after about a year or so it becomes pretty much useless.

Ive had a pretty much no name laptop, Averatec. It was a complete POS.
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 12:11 PM   #38
jstalin
capitalism=crisis
 
jstalin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Via Dolorosa
Posts: 3,087
Well, it depends on what you use it for. Not everyone carry's their laptops around. Also, most laptops use the same distibutors for their casings and such, so the plastics aren't as much as an issue. And the pointer or internal mouse pad quality isn't really an issue if you use a mouse.

I've heard great things about Acer, which is a cheap laptop, and bad things about IBM, which is higher end.

The most important thing in a laptop is the processor, you want to pay extra $$ to get the M chip since it doesn't run as hot and extends the battery life.

Another very important thing about laptops is the screen. Poor display will lead to poor eyesight.
__________________
Rise with your class, not above your class
̿ ̿̿'\̵͇̿̿\o=(̪●)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿
jstalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 12:22 PM   #39
Furious
BMW again.
 
Furious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep 323
To be honest, that isn't true... The advancements in the T series units have continued in the T4X series and the quality is still there... We have an excellent success rate with these units and those who get them, absolutely love them. no major known issues to talk about here! Obviously you'll get the one off's - every manufacturer will have those...

Deep
the reason i know this is because CGI and BTS, who handle all of bell canadas computers (believe me its lots of laptops) tell me that the repair rate and parts replacement (like harddrives screens etc) are higher on the T4x's over the t30's (the t30's have been in operation longer and there are slightly more of them) although i agree the T4x series is a better computer, they just dont seem to be as reliable, i cant really say because they havent upgraded us to the t40 series yet.
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 12:33 PM   #40
CARLiTO_
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 145
I have a dell inspiron 700m and it seems to be one of the better made dell's.

12.1 inch widescreen, 1.6 ghz dothan pentium m
__________________
PM me for a copy of a trance, dance, techno megamix I made.First 10 people get it free...
CARLiTO_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 02:19 PM   #41
Bill Gates
6th Gear Member
 
Bill Gates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Oakville
Posts: 1,217
Send a message via MSN to Bill Gates
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstalin
Great argument tosser, mind explaining yourself?
you are obviously smoking some crack. i agree with sick, choosing a professional/reliable notebook involves more than just assembling the fastest parts and placing them inside a generic shell. ie... take a notebook with a plastic shell while the notebook is running. hold the LCD bezel with your right hand, and push in the screen from behind with your left hand. like most plastic shells, you will notice the screen will get skewed. You won't have this issue with Lenovo/IBM's T Series due to its magnesium shell. stronger and lighter than plastic. i can go on and on....

choosing a notebook based on processor? i wouldn't recommend that.
__________________
Bill Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 02:19 PM   #42
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member
 
Deep 3.2TL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Milton
Posts: 3,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious
the reason i know this is because CGI and BTS, who handle all of bell canadas computers (believe me its lots of laptops) tell me that the repair rate and parts replacement (like harddrives screens etc) are higher on the T4x's over the t30's (the t30's have been in operation longer and there are slightly more of them) although i agree the T4x series is a better computer, they just dont seem to be as reliable, i cant really say because they havent upgraded us to the t40 series yet.

That's odd because we don't have a high return or repair rate on these units at all. In fact we just sold about 3000 T40 units to several clients, with minimal issues...

Deep
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 02:22 PM   #43
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member
 
Deep 3.2TL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Milton
Posts: 3,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gates
you are obviously smoking some crack. i agree with sick, choosing a professional/reliable notebook involves more than just assembling the fastest parts and placing them inside a generic shell. ie... take a notebook with a plastic shell while the notebook is running. hold the LCD bezel with your right hand, and push in the screen from behind with your left hand. like most plastic shells, you will notice the screen will get skewed. You won't have this issue with Lenovo/IBM's T Series due to its magnesium shell. stronger and lighter than plastic. i can go on and on....

choosing a notebook based on processor? i wouldn't recommend that.
A man who knows his IBM! Although I already knew that you love these things :-)

I need that Blade server PO! :-p Also - all those notebooks I had on hold for you, Donald told me to release them - does this mean no upgrade for you guys right now? Oh and BTW: Your parts are coming - waiting on the DVD burner...

Deep
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 02:22 PM   #44
Bill Gates
6th Gear Member
 
Bill Gates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Oakville
Posts: 1,217
Send a message via MSN to Bill Gates
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious
the reason i know this is because CGI and BTS, who handle all of bell canadas computers (believe me its lots of laptops) tell me that the repair rate and parts replacement (like harddrives screens etc) are higher on the T4x's over the t30's (the t30's have been in operation longer and there are slightly more of them) although i agree the T4x series is a better computer, they just dont seem to be as reliable, i cant really say because they havent upgraded us to the t40 series yet.
there's a reason why companies like CGI and Bell use IBM. replace them all with Acer notebooks and u can guarantee the failure rate will double.
__________________
Bill Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 02:30 PM   #45
jstalin
capitalism=crisis
 
jstalin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Via Dolorosa
Posts: 3,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gates
there's a reason why companies like CGI and Bell use IBM. replace them all with Acer notebooks and u can guarantee the failure rate will double.
The comp won't stop running due to a cracked casing you tit. Why don't you try backing up some of your obtuse observations? I've yet to hear of laptop casings or hinges randomly cracking due to cheap plastics. You're a typical uneducated american-minded consumer, owned by the brand the marketing companies pitch to you.
__________________
Rise with your class, not above your class
̿ ̿̿'\̵͇̿̿\o=(̪●)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿
jstalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2015