Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-17-2006, 05:01 PM   #31
Mavrick
2nd Gear Member

I'm going to try out the heated locks next time they are frozen.

The car has been painted, but the hacks never remove the locks - they just masked it off. The door panel has not been removed to my knowledge either. The car has 290k on it, and the trunk lock is very bad also. It can usually be worked free but it's getting worse. The passenger door freezes up as well, and we very rarely use that lock (maybe a dozen times a year).

The locks freeze up when the temp is cold, like -15 or colder. It doesn't have to be freezing rain or anything.. this problem has been around for years and i'd like to get rid of it if possible.

Does anyone have advice, as to my door being stuck open? When its really cold out, i open my door and the latch does not return to neutral - or something. I try to shut the door and it just slams against the striker, and does not latch. Is it easy to remove/reinstall the door panel, and is there easy access to the latch i would need to lub up?

I've tried lubing the latch from the door jam with white lithium grease.. i do it regularly actually - and that isn't cutting it.

Thanks,

EDIT: When things are frozen up, i also can not manually lock/unlock the doors with the knob on the door. They are froze as well. The power locks work great otherwise, we've never had problems with that part of the system.

Last edited by Mavrick; 01-17-2006 at 05:05 PM.
Mavrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 05:20 PM   #32
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZiMMie Send a message via MSN to ZiMMie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin e36
Yes, the heated lock are activated after 5 seconds of holding the driver's door handle up. It will automatically turn off after 30 seconds, and you may have to repeat.

Wow never knew that. are sure this applies to the e30's?
Old 01-17-2006, 05:23 PM   #33
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
i think it does. i was goin thru some shit and the bentley and i THINK i came across the wiring diagram for the heated locks...
Old 01-17-2006, 05:23 PM   #34
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

Yes, very sure, and it has worked on my 87 a few times. Last winter at a skihill in -25c after washing the car (stupid stupid stupid) I was severly locked out. This got me in after about 1 minute. None of the doors would stay shut though. Muhaha.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:28 PM   #35
sic///M
4th Gear Member

http://www.bimmerdiy.com/e30

might help
sic///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:57 PM   #36
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiMMie
Wow never knew that. are sure this applies to the e30's?
Not sure if it apply's to all E30's but I've opened up some locks that have had the element in there.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:26 AM   #37
punnzzells
Banned

Send a message via MSN to punnzzells Send a message via Yahoo to punnzzells
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsevader
Most if not all Canadian spec E30s have this feature. This is the reason we can't have timer delay interior lights.

Cdn E30s have heated locks, heated side mirrors and I think all have heated washer nossles.

James

YES.....you ar right!

what you do to activate this feature is place the key in the door, turn it to the left and while you are turning it, lift up your door handle... wait 30 - 60 secs and then release and unlock your doors.... it works, I've done it.

also... use silcone spray in your door jams and door locks... the silicone actually repels the water so it won't freeze on you.

punnzzells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:49 AM   #38
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZiMMie Send a message via MSN to ZiMMie
Quote:
Originally Posted by punnzzells
YES.....you ar right!

what you do to activate this feature is place the key in the door, turn it to the left and while you are turning it, lift up your door handle... wait 30 - 60 secs and then release and unlock your doors.... it works, I've done it.

also... use silcone spray in your door jams and door locks... the silicone actually repels the water so it won't freeze on you.

Dude when u lock cylinder freeze u cant even get the key in the whole. tried it today it ditdnt work. maybe my heater relay its shot.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:10 AM   #39
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

I'm ordering an alarm sometime this week, going to do a nice detailed install and writeup. That should solve lock cylinder freezing problems.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:17 AM   #40
King Luis
The King.

Send a message via MSN to King Luis
Quote:
Dude when u lock cylinder freeze u cant even get the key in the whole. tried it today it ditdnt work. maybe my heater relay its shot.
that happened to me last night in my driveway. the key wouldn't go in all the way.

heres a good tip. get a zip lock bag or a bag that can hold liquids without leaking and fill it with hot water. hold the bagto the lock for a little bit and tada. lock works.

Sold:2004 Silver Gray M3
Mods: Dice Unit, EAS Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors, CSL Diffuser, Smoked Corners, PSS10s, 15mm Front and 10mm Rear Spacers.

Gone:1990 Brilliantrot 325is
Mods: Alpine speakers and HU, Euro Projectors, Magnaflow Muffler, Euro Smoked Tails and GC Coilovers.
King Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 09:55 AM   #41
arsevader
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Luis
that happened to me last night in my driveway. the key wouldn't go in all the way.

heres a good tip. get a zip lock bag or a bag that can hold liquids without leaking and fill it with hot water. hold the bagto the lock for a little bit and tada. lock works.
All E30's come with a zip-loc bag that can be filled with hot water and placed against the lock to thaw it.
arsevader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 10:12 AM   #42
King Luis
The King.

Send a message via MSN to King Luis
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsevader
All E30's come with a zip-loc bag that can be filled with hot water and placed against the lock to thaw it.
i sense some sarcasm....well. yours didn't come with it?
weird

well, its a good tip if your at home and can't get your doors open.

Sold:2004 Silver Gray M3
Mods: Dice Unit, EAS Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors, CSL Diffuser, Smoked Corners, PSS10s, 15mm Front and 10mm Rear Spacers.

Gone:1990 Brilliantrot 325is
Mods: Alpine speakers and HU, Euro Projectors, Magnaflow Muffler, Euro Smoked Tails and GC Coilovers.
King Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 10:56 AM   #43
arsevader
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Luis
i sense some sarcasm....well. yours didn't come with it?
weird
No I can't find it in the toolkit, well my trunk's frozen so I can't check.

Quote:
well, its a good tip if your at home and can't get your doors open.
I'll try it next time, for sure. My drivers side freezes all the time.
arsevader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 11:14 AM   #44
punnzzells
Banned

Send a message via MSN to punnzzells Send a message via Yahoo to punnzzells
Quote:

stick the key under your sack and warm it up Zimmie! LOL

I usally used a lighter, but I don't smoke any longer, so on a warm day, spray the silicone and it won't get like that..
punnzzells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 02:27 PM   #45
NickP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin e36
Not sure if it apply's to all E30's but I've opened up some locks that have had the element in there.
Yes not all e30's have them but it definitely comes with a cold weather package. Where the c clip holds the lock against the door, there's a big fat c shaped piece of metal that's the heating element. I believe this package also includes heated wiper washer jets which come in really handy!
NickP is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: