Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-12-2006, 11:27 PM   #1
vegabass
How do i shift gears?

Opinion on Volvo’s

My parents are looking to get the new Volvo v70 (the wagon). Just wanted to know if anyone has had an encounter with the Volvo’s and what they think of them. Is there anything I should look out for? Why I am asking is because my dad is the type of person that buys a car and drives it until it blows up, so do u guys know what type of maintenance is required and potential problems the car might encounter. Also is there car you guys might suggest to buy for keeps without going over $70,000?
vegabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 11:30 PM   #2
Gianpaolo_E46
6th Gear Member

We had an S80, total crap. Prior to that we had a 960, which was a good car if i remember correctly. But the S80 was crap, i remember us having a S70 loaner most of the time lol.
Gianpaolo_E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 11:44 PM   #3
TheMadChigga
Taiwan Panda Racing Unit.

Send a message via ICQ to TheMadChigga Send a message via AIM to TheMadChigga Send a message via MSN to TheMadChigga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianpaolo_E46
We had an S80, total crap. Prior to that we had a 960, which was a good car if i remember correctly. But the S80 was crap, i remember us having a S70 loaner most of the time lol.
you must had pre 2002, they had the crappy valve body for the tranny.

V70 is decent cars, more reliable than BMWs, but they are no Lexus, I suggest you head to Erin Mills Volvo and ask for Roberto, he's a straight up sales guy.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:49 PM   #4
SickFinga

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadChigga

V70 is decent cars, more reliable than BMWs,
any proof to back that up?
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 12:06 AM   #5
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

guys they are by FORD.............hehehe..........
Old 01-13-2006, 12:06 AM   #6
TheMadChigga

Send a message via ICQ to TheMadChigga Send a message via AIM to TheMadChigga Send a message via MSN to TheMadChigga
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickFinga
any proof to back that up?
the P2 chassis is still very similar to the P1 chassis (850/S/V/C70), and the P1 chassis came out in 1993, they share large amount of similar suspension design, the B5234FT/B5244/B5254 engine has been around since 1993. Ask Paul540/m3, his dad's wagon had 245k km, there are a lot of 'em out there logging rediculous mileage. The ETC problem that showed up in 1999-2001 cars have been solved, the transmission have been updated about 8x, Volvo focus on durability and reliability, so they don't drive as nice as a BMW.

I really don't wanna say BMW has bad reliability issues, but they just aren't that great, they are durable.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:07 AM   #7
rodo
6th Gear Member

we had an s70-good car and we had an s80-good car!

2010 Expedition

Objects in mirror are farther than they appear Only in a BMW

rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 12:07 AM   #8
TheMadChigga

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul christians
guys they are by FORD.............hehehe..........
not the P2s, only the new S40/V50 shares components with Ford's product, the P2s were ready to hit production before Ford take over.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:23 AM   #9
vegabass
How do i shift gears?

Quote:
you must had pre 2002, they had the crappy valve body for the tranny.

V70 is decent cars, more reliable than BMWs, but they are no Lexus, I suggest you head to Erin Mills Volvo and ask for Roberto, he's a straight up sales guy.
Where is the dealership. We went to Durham Volvo, guys are knobs, could not answer any question i had.

What i am worried about is the turbo on them. Will they have any problems,

Also i dont find that the car is worth the money. The car is almost 50 grand, but it has no xeon lights, no thrid row seating, the interior is all plastic. I must admit it looks elegant, but i feel we are not getting our moneys worth.
vegabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 12:57 AM   #10
rodo
6th Gear Member

ahahaha i think a friend of mine's sales guy is roberto!!! does he drive an older v70R in copper colour and manual tranny?

2010 Expedition

Objects in mirror are farther than they appear Only in a BMW

rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 12:58 AM   #11
moto-menace
3rd Gear Member

from what i understand volvos seem to be one of the most reliable cars you can buy when it comes to engine durability, definately a car that will take a long time to drive into the ground.
Old 01-13-2006, 02:54 AM   #12
TheMadChigga

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodo
ahahaha i think a friend of mine's sales guy is roberto!!! does he drive an older v70R in copper colour and manual tranny?
he DID, the car got total'd, sad sad, yes we are talking about the same guy, he is absolutely great and very helpful when I was looking at S40.

Vergabass, turbo cars require turbo maintenance, here are few example:
1) use thinner oil in winter, or sludge might not get to the centre catridge, its not necessary to use thinner oil, but if you drive the car hard in winter, its a wise idea.
2) let the turbo cool down after a hard drive, this is why they invented turbo timer, so if you went on a crazy drive, just make sure you spend the last 1-2minutes either drive without hitting 0psi, or just let it cool down, it prevents the oil in the catridge gets burned.
3) gas, gas gas gas, don't cheap out on turbo cars, really 91 is a minimum, knocking is what kill the engine for a lot of turbo cars, and when it gets really hot in the summer, use octane 94.

these usually don't require you to pay specific attention, but must keep these in mind to have a healthy turbo engine, Volvo's use Mistubishi engines on their non-R cars, they are usually TD04HL-16T, 17T, 18T, 19T depends on models/tranny, they are very reliable turbos, I had a TD04H-13C turbo stock, and the turbo gone thru 144k km before I took it off and put a bigger one in, the catridge was in literally brand new condition, and I've put the turbo thru 18psi of mayhem (its a mayhem for the tiny turbo).

the "BIGGEST" problem these P2 cars have is minor issues, I know for a fact that few people had the windows rubber trim harden after couple of yrs. Another one is the AWD system, Volvos never really look at the AWD system as a performance gain unlike Audi, Lexus, BMW, Subby and Mistu, they looked at it as safety measure. So their early AWD cars (850/S70s) were problematic once you try to go fast, but their current AWDs are made by Haldex, they are somewhat similar to a VW synchro system, the rear differential seems to be the weakest link if you want to beat the crap out of it, some Swede broke his S60R's rear diff when he's trying to put down 500whp. (Yes, I hang out at parts too much, and I researched a lot when I had to replace the Lexus)

I can tell you this right now, the current V70s are great cars, they are very solid and have evolved very well over the years, and the new Volvos have huge aftermarket support compare to the lone RWDs (like mine), with huge aftermarket support comes with good priced parts, and one specific thing about Volvo is the interchangibility, you can bolt on S60R Brembo brakes in an hr to any P1 and P2s, all Volvos share same bolt pattern/centre bore since 1970, it takes a $600 chip to get 300hp out of the T5 model.

you can check out www.erinmillsvolvo.com for their location, I love the guys there, Peter at parts have helped me so much to source odd Euro-only parts and bunch of other stuff.

good luck and sorry about my long post.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:55 AM   #13
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
volvo's aint bad cars, they'll run forever, they severely lack any style. i mean they dont even try. the NEWEST ones, fine, mabye, but otherwise

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
Fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black, ohlins, pazzo, graves
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 11:15 AM   #14
Paul540/m3
BMW Individual

Send a message via MSN to Paul540/m3
Quote:
Ask Paul540/m3, his dad's wagon had 245k km, there are a lot of 'em out there logging rediculous mileage.

It actually hit 305,000Km and then it was sold in working condition and is now being driven by an engineer from Toronto. She's still trucking lol

BTW: Listen to what Sam (Chigga) has to say because he knows volvo's better than the dealer.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:26 AM   #15
Mr seville
6th Gear Member

i've got an 02 s80 very good cars over all... just watch for minor suspesion problems and minor electrical problems... very very light fly wheel it'll go up to 200 in no time not that i've ever done that and i kinda like the fact that my stupid car looks like a guppy lol oh and btw...no limiter
Mr seville is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: