Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-15-2006, 12:04 PM   #16
spooner_dee
Has no idea whats goin on

Send a message via AIM to spooner_dee
yeah that was another idea i was considering m3 ball joints, are they a direct fit over my 328i ones?

need to do this soon, its killing me that i cant drive faster then 80mph (120kmph i believe) with out vibration.

As I was walking up the stairs, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish I wish he'd go away.
spooner_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 12:31 PM   #17
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooner_dee
need to do this soon, its killing me that i cant drive faster then 80mph (120kmph i believe) with out vibration.
uh, that's not your ball joints.
who told you to replace your ball joints because of vibration?

in fact, if you're getting steering wheel vibration, your ball joints are in pretty darn good shape still. it's more likely that your wheels are not balanced, or a rim is bent.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 06:35 PM   #18
uber e36
6th Gear Member

[quote=spooner_dee]yeah that was another idea i was considering m3 ball joints, are they a direct fit over my 328i ones?[quote]

From what I remember, they fit perfectly. There's only one thing you have to remember... The non-m have the hole in the middle, and the hole in the m version is off center... So you have to make sure the hole is in the right spot (can't remember if its closer to the front of the car or the back). I believe this affects your camber?

A tech explained it to me 2 years ago and I can't fully remember...
uber e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 07:00 AM   #19
DINAN 3
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to DINAN 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotcH
The Meyle metal ones apparently are not hardened, and fail just as easily (if not more so) than the OE one. Stick with OEM, or Lemforder brand.
I've got about 25K in 15 months on my Meyle ball joints now with absolutely no problems. I'll be in for service this morning, so I'll ask them to take a quick look at them and update your people on their condition.
DINAN 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 07:04 AM   #20
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Originally Posted by DINAN 3
I've got about 25K in 15 months on my Meyle ball joints now with absolutely no problems. I'll be in for service this morning, so I'll ask them to take a quick look at them and update your people on their condition.
Note that though there can be some play with the Meyle ball joints, it will be much stiffer than the play with stock ball joints.. so you really have to rock that wheel to notice it. More noticable when driving. Also visually inspect them..
Old 01-16-2006, 11:34 AM   #21
spooner_dee

justin, as for the vibration. my car is fine till i reach about 120km and if im strait no prob, but if i turn the wheel just slightly to the right like a hair it vibrates, if i turn it more then it goes away. if i turn to the left no problem. thats what i figured it was my ball joints. Being that they fail often in bmw's

no matter how fast i go, its smooth till i turn just slightly to the right. lol i have posted about this b4 and the only other thing i could think of was ball joints. I had the control arm bushings replaced thinking it was that, but it wasn't

As I was walking up the stairs, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish I wish he'd go away.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:57 AM   #22
Justin e36
---

Quote:
justin, as for the vibration. my car is fine till i reach about 120km and if im strait no prob, but if i turn the wheel just slightly to the right like a hair it vibrates, if i turn it more then it goes away. if i turn to the left no problem. thats what i figured it was my ball joints. Being that they fail often in bmw's

no matter how fast i go, its smooth till i turn just slightly to the right. lol i have posted about this b4 and the only other thing i could think of was ball joints. I had the control arm bushings replaced thinking it was that, but it wasn't
Double check... that really doesn't sound like a ball joint problem. If your ball joints are solid, they will transfer the wheel vibration to the steering wheel. If they're shot, then the wheels can vibrate or turn slightly and this would not be felt in the steering wheel. Likewise, since the wheels can turn slightly independantly, the car may drift randomly left or right, even though the steering wheel is straight.

In your case, I still say it's one of your wheels that is not balanced properly, or a bent rim. Check that our first... most shops will charge $5 to mount your tire on the balancer and let you know if it's vibrating or not. Of course you can also try rotating your front/rear tires to see if this makes a difference as well.

Justin
Old 01-16-2006, 01:13 PM   #23
Hasselhoff
3rd Gear Member

Quote:

What about your tie-rod ends? Any play in them?

Next time you're out on the highway, try lightly pressing on the brakes when you feel the vibration. If the vibe goes away, have a real good look at your tie-rod ends (both inner & outer) for any play, and replace if necessary. If not, check the lateral run out on your rotors - they may be slightly warped.

I could be totally wrong, but that's what I'd be checking if there's nothing wrong with the wheels. Definately double check your wheels though, like Justin's recommending - he's giving sound advice!
Hasselhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 03:28 PM   #24
Justin e36
---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasselhoff
What about your tie-rod ends? Any play in them?

Next time you're out on the highway, try lightly pressing on the brakes when you feel the vibration. If the vibe goes away, have a real good look at your tie-rod ends (both inner & outer) for any play, and replace if necessary. If not, check the lateral run out on your rotors - they may be slightly warped.

I could be totally wrong, but that's what I'd be checking if there's nothing wrong with the wheels. Definately double check your wheels though, like Justin's recommending - he's giving sound advice!
Good point. If the tie rod ends are dying, there will be some vibrations felt only while turning. When the tie rod ends are dying you'll notice more wear on the inside of your front tires. So if they're not wearing evenly, then check this out too.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:07 PM   #25
DINAN 3
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to DINAN 3
Thumbs up I asked Steve at Bavarian Motors and.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin e36
Note that though there can be some play with the Meyle ball joints, it will be much stiffer than the play with stock ball joints.. so you really have to rock that wheel to notice it. More noticable when driving. Also visually inspect them..

he swears by the Meyle solid ball joints.....BTW, mine are still in mint condition...so I'm happy with them.
DINAN 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:18 PM   #26
Justin e36
---

Quote:
Originally Posted by DINAN 3
he swears by the Meyle solid ball joints.....BTW, mine are still in mint condition...so I'm happy with them.
Yup, my mechanic swears by them as well. A lot of people do. Other's won't touch Meyle with a 10 foot pole.

Failed Meyle Parts, from ONE Toronto OE/OEM parts retailer (whose name I will keep anonymous). My ball joints are somewhere on that rack too. (ball joints were not bought from this retailer though... they were bought from a reputable mechanic.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg meyle6.jpg (169.7 KB, 71 views)
Old 01-17-2006, 12:49 AM   #27
jeffrie
Addict

Find this debate weird. My drivers ball joint (oem original according to records) passenger replaced last year (oem with a ripped boot).
36 bucks at the stealers and now have 180,000K on my beast?
I don't see the issue with BMW's and bad ball joints.
If they were replaced previous owners records from <30,00K never recorded the bill. To add I drive the sh*t out of it on Qubec sh*t roads.....
For thoues who havn't driven here.... I have installed a skid plate that is now at 1/3 weare after only 3 years.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 08:21 PM   #28
spooner_dee

alright ill try a tire rotation maybe this weekend, see if it helps. Now that i think about it, when i got new tires when i first bought the car, i believe it went away, then had my tires rotated and it came back, maybe a bent rim. or just shatty balencing. i will try the rotation and post up the end results. thanks for the info guys. if its still there ill have my mechanic look at my tie rods.

Old 01-18-2006, 05:14 PM   #29
Swerve
///Maquina

Quote:

I had the same thing at 80kph and then again at 120kph, and when I replaced my ball joints with the Meyle ball joints, the problem disappeared. ...needed another alignment though, because someone had aligned the car with bad ball joints somehow bastard

///M3 body | Painted kidneys | Hartge spoiler | DJ Autos+DDM HID, DRL delete, clears
Hartge Nova 3+Kumho Ecsta SPT / Hamann HM2+Kumho Ecsta ASX | Bilstein Sports, H&R Sports, KMAC plates, RE RSMs, Racing Dynamics sways, M3 RTABs | M3 Front Brakes
M3 Exhaust | Autothority chip | Cosmos v2+K&N | NGK Iridiums | E46 M knob | clutchstop | woodgrain delete | /////ALPINE, PPI, MB Quart
Swerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 05:01 PM   #30
spooner_dee

if it turns out to be the tie rod ends is that a job one can do at home? or would i need to take it to a garage have it done and get it aligned?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: