Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-14-2006, 07:13 PM   #16
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinair
I'd be interesting to see a supercharged 318 line up to a 328 actually.
BMW_7 has a DASC'd 4 door 318, someone drive over there with their 328
& brin a video camera DO IT
Old 01-14-2006, 07:32 PM   #17
BMWags
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdbley'sBro

Proprone VS BMW_7 !!!
BMWags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 07:38 PM   #18
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
sure, in a week or two once the repairs & clutch are done. I dont crazily push my car though, so dont expect runs to too high KMs

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 07:53 PM   #19
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
Quote:
Originally Posted by proprone
Although i agree with justin, your problem is on two fronts:

transmission and engine.

If only one of them was an issue for you, 100% i'd say swap. since its a convertible, and you love the car and its not causing problems, i'd say if it were stick, drop a m52/s52 in depending on your budget.

same if you had a 325 convertible auto. Drop in a getrag.

However, as you notice, all the people who have posted have either m44's or m42's (i think, some may have swapped). Perosonally i think you should consider a new car. However, you have the luxury of not having to buy one. If you find one in great cond, buy it. Otherwise, do what justin said and drop in a 5spd. Also, what bmdbley'sbro said is very true. Downing atlanta makes a supercharger for the m44 and m42 (you have an m44). They are said to be very reliable and substantially beneficial in power output. I think my 328 would be around as quick as your 318. (but you probably drive better than i do, so be sure to put 94 in, i dont want to be smelling no 89 fumes)

its a personal choice. whichever way you go, its not going to be too expensive, nor too cheap, but there are problems that can arise. I suggest look at new cars, bring some knowledgable people with you (if you cant find any knowledgable people, you can settle for asking me to come) inspect the cars yourself, have someone else inspect them, if everything looks ok, then drop a couple hundred to have the car inspected by bmw or another bmw mechanic, then buy. If it doesn't work out, S/C the shit out of it, 5spd conversion (check bf.c, one on sale now) and drive away like a pimp
HOOOLLLD UP......If this downing atlanta makes a supercharger for a e36 m42, cant this get put into a e30 m42??? if not im gonna be one unhappy camper
Old 01-15-2006, 12:05 AM   #20
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdbley'sBro
Wait till the spring and I'll bring mine
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 11:43 AM   #21
jeffrie
Addict

Nelson your 328 doesn't count for a fair comparison.
We'll need proprone's for a somewhat fair comparison.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 11:50 AM   #22
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30_kid89
HOOOLLLD UP......If this downing atlanta makes a supercharger for a e36 m42, cant this get put into a e30 m42??? if not im gonna be one unhappy camper
yes, it will fit 1.8L and 1.9L engines. e30, e36, z3, whatever. Early m42 engines require a retrofit kit for the belt + tensioner.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 12:07 PM   #23
BMW_7
Econobimmer Racing

Send a message via AIM to BMW_7 Send a message via MSN to BMW_7
Proprone, Thinair im up for it...lol
Except we need to do it on a cold day

As for a supercharger, tranny swap on a 318i convertible? Man I dunno if I reccomend it... To get Dasc and tranny swap, you'd be looking at close to $8k once everything is said and done. If you have a nice winter beater to replace your car once it's off the road, and some $$, do it.

It depends on what youre looing for. The convertibles are heavy and you wouldnt notice that much power difference if you were in a 4dr or a coupe. So don't expect a monster, or a track athlete. But, for a cruiser, this is the way to go, as I say to everyone, the sound usually makes up for it, especially on a convertible

Here's a video of my car last summer:

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=supercharged+318i

The supercharger replaces the Intake Manifold, which takes up some weight also, while DA supplied kit also comes with buncha other stuff like pulleys and tranmission sensor and throttle cables, so you are replacing a good 1/3 of the engine with other parts. I don't think there is a big difference from stock weight of the engine (Maybe a few pounds +/-)

DASC will not fit on E30s not only because there is no hood clearence, but also because their Intake system is different

Helprace, a helpdesk & community platform

Last edited by BMW_7; 01-15-2006 at 12:12 PM.
BMW_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 12:27 PM   #24
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_7
DASC will not fit on E30s not only because there is no hood clearence, but also because their Intake system is different
I thought they had a retrofit kit when you order it for e30's?
Old 01-15-2006, 12:46 PM   #25
BMW_7
Econobimmer Racing

I remember Slowered318 (Ryan) tried contacting DA a few years ago, and they pretty much told them that it's impossible.

You can always swap a E36 engine to a E30, and then modify the hood a bit, I think that's easier than opening up the whole e30 motor.

Old 01-15-2006, 12:56 PM   #26
Justin e36
---

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_7
I remember Slowered318 (Ryan) tried contacting DA a few years ago, and they pretty much told them that it's impossible.

You can always swap a E36 engine to a E30, and then modify the hood a bit, I think that's easier than opening up the whole e30 motor.
The M42 is the same engine in both E30 and E36, no? What would the benefit be of swapping the E36 engine in? Wouldn't it be a little more effective to just modify the hood?
Old 01-15-2006, 12:59 PM   #27
thinair
moderationistismingly

I'd rather look into low profile engine and tranny mounts to lower everything to retain hood clearance.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
Old 01-15-2006, 01:09 PM   #28
BMW_7
Econobimmer Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin e36
The M42 is the same engine in both E30 and E36, no? What would the benefit be of swapping the E36 engine in? Wouldn't it be a little more effective to just modify the hood?
Well, I don't know the technicalities but the e36 intake manifold is very different. To install DASC you would have to convert your car to E36 intake manifold (lower part).

E30 manifold looks like this

Attached Images
File Type: png 6.png (18.2 KB, 71 views)
File Type: png 10.png (13.3 KB, 71 views)

Old 01-15-2006, 02:06 PM   #29
thinair
moderationistismingly

I dunno, it seems that a manifold swap, some vacuum lines, and maybe an injector rail swap would be easier then an engine swap.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:25 PM   #30
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
lol nelson you against bmw_7. suuuuuuuure. if you put a blower on your car you'd prolly keep up with FI m3's

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: