Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-11-2006, 04:13 PM   #1
BennyL
7th Gear Member

Thinking of selling my 318 for a different e36 - opinions??

ok,

so i have a 1996 318 convertible. black on tan. automatic. 160,000 km.

great ****ing car. seriously.

BUT - i hate automatic.

SO - i want something else.

i'm in love with e36's. so i definately want another e36.... just not sure what to do.

first of all, i think i want a coupe. although i think the e36 cab is the nicest cab on the road, i still think that roadsters are the only really nice convertible cars out there. im my opinion, at least. i'm not interested in the sedan either. so its between an IS and a TI.

and im leaning more towards an IS.

now, im stuck between selling my 318 for another 318, but a standard IS... or upping it one level to a 6-cylinder.

i was hoping that all of you guys here could provide some input, with your extensive knowledge and experience with e36's.

how big is the difference in performance between a 318 to a 325 to a 328. and how big is the difference in gas consumption. and what else is there that you guys can tell me.

thanks!!

My Ride: E36 318 Convertible - Black Ext. Peanutbutter Int.
BennyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 04:22 PM   #2
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
difference between an automatic to manual 318 is a big difference.
manual 318 compares to a 325 automatic.
325 manual is not fast either, but it has a little bit of spunk.
328's are very spirited and fun to drive.

If you really do love your vehicle and it treats you well, then I say do an automatic to manual conversion. It'll cost you around $1500, for the tranny, pedals, shifter, linkage, diifferential, and labour. But at least you know you won't be stuck with someone else's potentially problematic car... and you get to maintain your droptop, which really is the nicest of the e36's.

J
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 04:57 PM   #3
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

if you really like/love your car it is most times preferable to go with "the Devil you know"
meaning: you know what you got into it, as oppossed to some new used car.

you could swap a manual in & then Turbo your bullet proof M42
Old 01-11-2006, 05:05 PM   #4
BennyL
7th Gear Member

are you sure its an M42? i thought it was an M44... but then again, im not very familiar with the engine codes. all i know is that its a 1.9

so how much would it cost me to turbocharge this engine, and how fast would that be?

and justin - would you really swap the tranny in this car? i mean, what about the center console and all that crap? isnt it a bitch of a job to convert it all over properly?

Old 01-11-2006, 05:23 PM   #5
M3ti Compact
Fuel Efficient 318 Member

I'd definitely keep a convertable if I had it if the choice was a coupe or TI. Second choice of course is a TI- being lightest and fastest. The IS probably is the second fastest, but everyone has one...it lacks the "bling" the convertable and to some extent the TI has.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:47 PM   #6
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
Although i agree with justin, your problem is on two fronts:

transmission and engine.

If only one of them was an issue for you, 100% i'd say swap. since its a convertible, and you love the car and its not causing problems, i'd say if it were stick, drop a m52/s52 in depending on your budget.

same if you had a 325 convertible auto. Drop in a getrag.

However, as you notice, all the people who have posted have either m44's or m42's (i think, some may have swapped). Perosonally i think you should consider a new car. However, you have the luxury of not having to buy one. If you find one in great cond, buy it. Otherwise, do what justin said and drop in a 5spd. Also, what bmdbley'sbro said is very true. Downing atlanta makes a supercharger for the m44 and m42 (you have an m44). They are said to be very reliable and substantially beneficial in power output. I think my 328 would be around as quick as your 318. (but you probably drive better than i do, so be sure to put 94 in, i dont want to be smelling no 89 fumes)

its a personal choice. whichever way you go, its not going to be too expensive, nor too cheap, but there are problems that can arise. I suggest look at new cars, bring some knowledgable people with you (if you cant find any knowledgable people, you can settle for asking me to come) inspect the cars yourself, have someone else inspect them, if everything looks ok, then drop a couple hundred to have the car inspected by bmw or another bmw mechanic, then buy. If it doesn't work out, S/C the shit out of it, 5spd conversion (check bf.c, one on sale now) and drive away like a pimp

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 06:30 PM   #7
Miguel
...Delt Smash

heh, if you ever feel like trading your 318 for my 325 lemme know!
Old 01-11-2006, 07:06 PM   #8
digiital
5th Gear Member

your right, I have a 96 318, and it's the M44 Engine. 140hp(+/-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyL
are you sure its an M42? i thought it was an M44... but then again, im not very familiar with the engine codes. all i know is that its a 1.9

so how much would it cost me to turbocharge this engine, and how fast would that be?

and justin - would you really swap the tranny in this car? i mean, what about the center console and all that crap? isnt it a bitch of a job to convert it all over properly?

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Mark Twain
digiital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 06:20 PM   #9
BennyL
7th Gear Member

proprone, please explain

i dont know engine codes too well...

I've got an M44 in my car. right? now, were you saying thats a good thing or a bad thing? and whats an M52/S52?

what is a getrag?

and are you saying my 318 would be around as quick as your 328 if i had it supercharged?

@Miguel: tell me more about your 325 plz

Old 01-13-2006, 08:53 PM   #10
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

You have a M44 didn't notice you were a 96+
they are good motors too

M52 is the 325 motor in e36/ s52 is M3 i believe..
getrag is the tranny it's just called getrag?

could be as quick if turbo'd or supercharged yes.

READ THIS: auto to manual
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=79886

Old 01-14-2006, 02:25 AM   #11
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
many members on this forum have done the conversion already. Mitch555 comes to mind, he had his done last summer. Everything will look/work just like a stock manual vehicle. Honestly, if you have something good already... don't let it go just because of one little nuisance that can be rectified.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 09:30 AM   #12
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
I've got an M44 in my car. right? now, were you saying thats a good thing or a bad thing? and whats an M52/S52?

what is a getrag?

and are you saying my 318 would be around as quick as your 328 if i had it supercharged?

@Miguel: tell me more about your 325 plz
okh, m42 are in 318's up to 95, they're 1.8L, m44's are in 318's 96 and newer and they're 1.9L. M50 is the group of small block inline six engines made from 91-95, it's available in 2L, 2.5L, 3L. They're found in the 320, 325, 520 (in europe), 525, and north american 95 M3. The M52 is an updated version of the M50 from 96-99. It's available in 2.5L, 2.8, 3.2L. They're found in 323, 328, 528, Z3, and the north american 96-99 M3. S50 is the european M3/ZM3 engine and is available in 3L (94-95) and 3.2L (96-99). Technically an S52 doesn't exist, but americans refer to their M3 engines as S50 for 95 and S52 for 96-99.

Getrag is the company that makes the 5spd transmissions in 318 and 325. ZF makes the 5 and 6 speed transmissions in the 328 and M3.

I'd be interesting to see a supercharged 318 line up to a 328 actually.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 09:36 AM   #13
spooner_dee
Has no idea whats goin on

Send a message via AIM to spooner_dee
i agree with everyone, id keep your car, swap the tranny and supercharge it. Youd have a slight advantage over alot of 6 cyl e36's because your working with a 4 cyl engine which means your car would be lighter with the same hp if not more. making your car a nice handling lil bullet.

Plus with your car it would pretty much be a sleeper. youd get the jump on alot of people.

As I was walking up the stairs, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish I wish he'd go away.
spooner_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 09:44 AM   #14
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooner_dee
Youd have a slight advantage over alot of 6 cyl e36's because your working with a 4 cyl engine which means your car would be lighter with the same hp if not more. making your car a nice handling lil bullet.
The M44 engine is 32kg lighter then an M50/2, superchargers add weight as well. It's a big block of aluminium that's being bolted to the head. The only advantage I can think of is that the engine is shorter and almost all of it would sit behind the front axle.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 11:01 AM   #15
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinair
I'd be interesting to see a supercharged 318 line up to a 328 actually.
lol do it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: