Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-10-2006, 03:42 PM   #1
moto-menace
3rd Gear Member

dual exhaust mod

hey justin, and anyone else who can answere..is there a way to make dual or should i say, quad exhaust on an older e36 thats only meant to have pipes one side..without cutting into the spare wheel well ?
if so, how is this done and what pros and cons are there...
Old 01-10-2006, 04:27 PM   #2
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
I've already done the modifications for a quad exhaust, though I haven't installed it yet. (Was waiting till I turbocharged first, as the exhaust manifold would be different.)

There are basically 3 ways of doing this that I know of:

1: cut or bang in (with a hammer) the wheel well on the right to make room for a second muffler. a heat shield will be necessary, and the exhaust vent for the battery should be relocated. (or the battery moved under the hood.)

2: Remove the wheel well entirely, and mount a massive dual in quad out muffler, with an e46 m3 muffler. (it will take up the whole wheel well!)

3: This will require some custom fabrication. The cat will have to be moved closer to the front of the vehicle, then where the cat usually is, there is enough room for a dual in, dual out muffler. The dual pipes coming out will go to either side of the rear bumper, then put a quad tip at the very end.

I was working on option 3 as it would be the most cost effective, and would work well with a turbocharged vehicle.

Justin
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 01:16 PM   #3
moto-menace
3rd Gear Member

so for option 3 are you saying the tips, come out on each side of the car like, infront of or behind the back wheels rather than out the back of the car?
that would be pretty cool!
Old 01-11-2006, 01:32 PM   #4
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
someone has done the mod where they come out the side, but no.. they come out the back of the car like any other quad exhaust.

the muffler is where your cat is now, in the middle of the car... then there are just pipes running to the back which split into quad tip.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:13 PM   #5
BennyL
7th Gear Member

sounds awesome. what car do you have justin?

My Ride: E36 318 Convertible - Black Ext. Peanutbutter Int.
BennyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 03:42 PM   #6
Justin e36
---

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyL
sounds awesome. what car do you have justin?
right now it's a 318i. I have a 325 engine that has been modded up, and a turbocharger kit that I was going to bolt up. The original plan was turbocharged 2.9L 325i with quad exhaust. Can't afford to finish the project now though. I'll probably just drop the 325i engine and do the quad exhaust anyway since I already did the body mods for it.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:04 PM   #7
BennyL
7th Gear Member

thats cool.

hey kawasaki kid, i hope you don't mind me asking my own question on your thread. actually, lets keep this thread dual exhaust oriented. I'll start another one. I'll need your opinion over there Justin!

My Ride: E36 318 Convertible - Black Ext. Peanutbutter Int.
BennyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 06:30 PM   #8
moto-menace
3rd Gear Member

its cool, i dont mind i read almost every question posted u can never learn too much...i havnt even began modding my car yet im still modding my mod list trying 2 figure out exactly what i want to do and how 2 go about it.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:34 PM   #9
moto-menace
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin e36
someone has done the mod where they come out the side, but no.. they come out the back of the car like any other quad exhaust.

the muffler is where your cat is now, in the middle of the car... then there are just pipes running to the back which split into quad tip.
OOOH ok cool, now i get what youre saying lol, i was forgetting that the muffler is the main thing that makes it difficult 2 run on right side..cool thanx alot man, should be easier than i thought
Old 01-11-2006, 08:13 PM   #10
qwk325
6th Gear Member

Pm suicide he did a dual exhaust set up on his old E36 4dr it looked and sounded good.

COME ON DOWN !!!!
qwk325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 10:02 PM   #11
moto-menace
3rd Gear Member

cool thanx

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: