Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-07-2006, 08:04 PM   #1
TTM3
1st Gear Newbie

Too Much Oil, Too much Gas

I have an E36 1997 M3. It is burning way too much engine oil and my gas consumption is terrible. I change the engine oil and filter every 5000 km, I do not beat the car up - I am very kind to it, and I currently use a Moble 1 15W50 engine oil. I recently changed the spark plugs to Boch platniums. The old plugs had normal wear and there was no oil in the spark plug holes. I also use premium gas. I would appreciate any suggestions on how to improve my gas and oil consumption.
TTM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 08:25 PM   #2
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
15W50 is WAAAAY to heavy for cold weather, try 5W30 or 0W30 instead, see if that improved your situation.

That heavy oil has the consistancy of molassas in negative temperatures. It's a good way to ruin your oil pump or oil seals.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 08:33 PM   #3
Jari
4th Gear Member

how much is your oil consumption ?
Jari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 08:36 PM   #4
SickFinga

How much KM do you get on a full tank?
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 08:38 PM   #5
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZiMMie Send a message via MSN to ZiMMie
Look who it is..
Welcome Tim.
Im sure someone will help u with ur problem

www.StanceFactory.com
ZiMMie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 09:48 PM   #6
TTM3
1st Gear Newbie

My consumptions are not exact here, but I would have to say 215km/tank and maybe a L of oil every couple of weeks. I have noticed oil residue on the inside of my tail pipe. Thanks Zimmie!
Old 01-07-2006, 09:49 PM   #7
TTM3
1st Gear Newbie

What kind of engine oil does everyone use?!
Old 01-08-2006, 01:07 AM   #8
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
I use voll synthese 5W30. Castrol 5W30 is nearly as good and MUCH cheaper. A litre every few weeks? even with your engine not running well (its not) this may (probably is) an oil leak. Your CEL on? o2 sensors could be gone. (bad fuel consumption)

there's a million more things that could be wrong, these are the first two that popped into my head.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 02:55 AM   #9
Soldo
6th Gear Member

OUCH.... 215km/tank that is HORRIBLE, even for an M!
Old 01-08-2006, 12:24 PM   #10
///MP
Purveyor of Useless Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldo
OUCH.... 215km/tank that is HORRIBLE, even for an M!
No kidding. I've got the same car and I'm getting about 500km/tank.

Nelson: I'm still running 15W50 (gonna swap it out soon for the winter) and I don't this is causing his poor mileage and oil burning. If anything, the thicker oil should actually burn less (hence why I use it at the track).

TTM3: Is you CEL (Check Engine Light) on? Does it even work? (it should light up briefely when you turn the key to the 'on' position) Is the engine running smooth and strong? Do you have an above average amount of smoke coming from the tailpipe when you hammer the throttle? Finally, does the oil smell excessively like raw gasoline? ...does anyone see where I'm going with this...

MP
///MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 12:40 PM   #11
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
yeah ///MP the car is probably running very rich. New o2 sensors would prolly fix this

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 04:10 PM   #12
yellow_blur
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinair
15W50 is WAAAAY to heavy for cold weather, try 5W30 or 0W30 instead, see if that improved your situation.

That heavy oil has the consistancy of molassas in negative temperatures. It's a good way to ruin your oil pump or oil seals.
Mobil 1 15w50 has the same pouring rate at -45c as any conventianal 5w30 oil
yellow_blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 06:24 PM   #13
Jari
4th Gear Member

Unless you're driving like 2000km a week then a litre of oil every week is too much. I'd say there is something else going on there.
Jari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 06:53 PM   #14
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MP
Nelson: I'm still running 15W50 (gonna swap it out soon for the winter) and I don't this is causing his poor mileage and oil burning. If anything, the thicker oil should actually burn less (hence why I use it at the track).
MP
It's not causing it directly, but if you blow an oil seal due to increased pressure could be causing the oil to be going somewhere where it shouldn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow_blur
Mobil 1 15w50 has the same pouring rate at -45c as any conventianal 5w30 oil
It pours, but ever so slowly. No one will recommend you to run 15W50 in negative temperatures, not even Mobil themselves.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 10:48 PM   #15
TTM3
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks to everyone who has replied! I do not have an oil leak. I have not noticed excess smoke when I hammer the throttle. The engine check light is not on. When I have left it sit for a few hours then I start the car it sounds rough, but when it warms up it sounds smooth and strong. It responds well when I need the power. And I will have to check the oil to see if it smells like raw gasoline. It sounds like I have to change the type of oil that I am using, maybe to 5W30?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: