Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-06-2006, 01:50 PM   #1
King Luis
The King.

Send a message via MSN to King Luis
caster adjustment

is there a way to adjust the caster on a e30? besides getting camber/caster plates. or just adjust the position of the front wheels further back?

stock suspension with THR Eyeball arms.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00826 (Small).JPG (69.7 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00827 (Small).JPG (54.9 KB, 142 views)

Sold:2004 Silver Gray M3
Mods: Dice Unit, EAS Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors, CSL Diffuser, Smoked Corners, PSS10s, 15mm Front and 10mm Rear Spacers.

Gone:1990 Brilliantrot 325is
Mods: Alpine speakers and HU, Euro Projectors, Magnaflow Muffler, Euro Smoked Tails and GC Coilovers.
King Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 02:33 PM   #2
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

No.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 02:49 PM   #3
highstrung
aka Dave T / Motronix

not without using the upper plates. i have had some caster changes and a little camber (not much) with installing the lower m3 e30 offset front control arm bushings. those bushings will somewhat help, but if you have severe caster changes, then there is something bent forsure in the front suspension.

dave
highstrung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 04:11 PM   #4
NickP

Quote:
Originally Posted by highstrung
not without using the upper plates. i have had some caster changes and a little camber (not much) with installing the lower m3 e30 offset front control arm bushings. those bushings will somewhat help, but if you have severe caster changes, then there is something bent forsure in the front suspension.

dave
I don't think that there's anything bent or broken - its just his THR eyeball arms affecting the caster like they're designed to do.
NickP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 05:42 PM   #5
King Luis
The King.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickP
I don't think that there's anything bent or broken - its just his THR eyeball arms affecting the caster like they're designed to do.
there is nothing bent or broken, i do have seized tierods but that is a different issue. could it be that i put the cabs in backwards or upside down or something?
i know they adjust the caster but it can't be possible for the eyeball arms to move the wheels forward that much can it?
this issue is pissing me off.

Mods: Dice Unit, EAS Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors, CSL Diffuser, Smoked Corners, PSS10s, 15mm Front and 10mm Rear Spacers.

Mods: Alpine speakers and HU, Euro Projectors, Magnaflow Muffler, Euro Smoked Tails and GC Coilovers.

Last edited by King Luis; 01-06-2006 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:00 PM   #6
Jordan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to Jordan
Um.. that looks pretty normal to me.

I don't think you understand the function of caster, as granted by the THR eyeball arms or caster/camber plates.

Adjusting the caster at the top of the strut mount will do nothing to effect the overall position of the wheel in the well.

If you want it "pushed back" more then lower your car. Its a damn 4x4.

Lowering it will bring it back because of the caster angle on the strut housing.

The THR eyeball arms only mount one way, there is no way you have them on incorrectly.

The THR eyeball arms give even more forward caster then the OEM M3 offset bushing. If it bothers you that much either lower the car or put the stock bushings back on.
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 08:03 PM   #7
NickP

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Luis
there is nothing bent or broken, i do have seized tierods but that is a different issue. could it be that i put the cabs in backwards or upside down or something?
i know they adjust the caster but it can't be possible for the eyeball arms to move the wheels forward that much can it?
this issue is pissing me off.
Its perfectly normal; especially for your ride height. I wouldn't worry too much about it; it'll also move back towards "normal" once you lower it some.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:23 PM   #8
Jordan
6th Gear Member

Way to read my post and make footnotes...
Old 01-06-2006, 08:24 PM   #9
King Luis
The King.

the only problem is that i got winter tires now that won't fit without major rubbing. i'm going with GC coilovers and koni's as soon as the weather gets better. i would really like to clean up my weaves while i got my winters and bottle caps on. bah..i'll go tomorrow to see if there is something i could do or if there is something else wrong.
just another problem to deal with.
btw, anyone got links to oem and oem m3 offset bushings so i can compare sizes and prices.
thanks for the help.

Old 01-06-2006, 08:35 PM   #10
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan
Way to read my post and make footnotes...
loool
Old 01-07-2006, 11:08 AM   #11
oldskool3
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan
If it bothers you that much either lower the car or put the stock bushings back on.
Why not take Jordan's advice and throw the stock bushings back on till winter is over. This way you can run your winters without any problem and reinstal the THR's in the spring when you can install your gc's.

Last edited by oldskool3; 01-07-2006 at 11:11 AM.
oldskool3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 12:00 PM   #12
NickP

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Luis
the only problem is that i got winter tires now that won't fit without major rubbing. i'm going with GC coilovers and koni's as soon as the weather gets better. i would really like to clean up my weaves while i got my winters and bottle caps on. bah..i'll go tomorrow to see if there is something i could do or if there is something else wrong.
just another problem to deal with.
btw, anyone got links to oem and oem m3 offset bushings so i can compare sizes and prices.
thanks for the help.
I think these guys are one of the cheapest for OEM / Lemforder:
http://www.fcpgroton.com/bmw-e30_suspension.htm

The m3's are 89 US and stock are 25 US. I've ordered them a bunch of times for Volvo parts and it always worked out well.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:05 PM   #13
King Luis
The King.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickP
I think these guys are one of the cheapest for OEM / Lemforder:
http://www.fcpgroton.com/bmw-e30_suspension.htm

The m3's are 89 US and stock are 25 US. I've ordered them a bunch of times for Volvo parts and it always worked out well.
cool. thanks for the link. i'll probably buy that stuff if nothing gets resolved next week when i go to the mechanic.

Old 01-07-2006, 01:22 PM   #14
Jordan
6th Gear Member

There is nothing to resolve, I don't think you understand....
Old 01-08-2006, 02:05 PM   #15
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Charlie quoted me something like $40 for stock bushings and $120 for eccentric, for the pairs. Just let him do it.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: