Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-07-2006, 09:11 AM   #16
Lug_n_trug
2nd Gear Member

Well unless my car has a final stage unit (which i don't think it does - 93 318is analog heat) then I need one. Tried everything, even banging the poopers out of it with a hammer...(please don't ask)

Any chance it's the blower motor resistor if it doesn't blow at all Justin?
If not, then I might be interested. Let me know
Lug_n_trug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 09:45 AM   #17
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_n_trug
Well unless my car has a final stage unit (which i don't think it does - 93 318is analog heat) then I need one. Tried everything, even banging the poopers out of it with a hammer...(please don't ask)

Any chance it's the blower motor resistor if it doesn't blow at all Justin?
If not, then I might be interested. Let me know
You're right, no final stage unit on the analog climate controls. We have a resistor in the climate control instead.

The blower motor resistor just regulates the adjustable speed of the blower motor. So you'll only have two settings, off, and on. (on would be 4 on your analog climate control.) where it will blow full force.

If the fan is not blowing at all, I really think it's the actual blower motor that is fried. Again, check the fuse for it first... even if it looks good, try swapping it with another fuse.

Justin
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 10:09 AM   #18
Lug_n_trug
2nd Gear Member

Done and done. Figured it wasn't the resistor, but didn't want to buy a new motor on the off chance. Also replaced the relay, just because it was only 5$, but no dice.

Blower motor it is i guess, how much do you want for yours, and what is it out of? (You can pm me if you want)
Old 01-17-2006, 06:16 PM   #19
SunnyC
1st Gear Newbie

Multistage resistor?

My 318IS blower would go dead every once and a while........however the digital climate control was still on......it was the Multstage Resistor located under the dash on the driver side close to the gas pedal. There is an updated part number for that resistor
SunnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 07:54 PM   #20
Lug_n_trug
2nd Gear Member

It was actually my blower motor. I decided to replace it when we had nice temp (+7 in January! wooohoo!) in my parking lot. Long story short, someone did a write up on it in bimmerforums, but it's a little off. There's some more info you might need to get it out. Having done it, I'd be willing to tell you how, maybe even make a writeup, but it's back together, and my gf had smashed her camera at the time so no pics. Just a little hint, bending sheet metal is just the way to do it, no other way. PM me if anyone needs info on how to do it (with no broken fan blades and an already assembled - ie used - blower motor.

Gotta love HEAT!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: