Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-04-2006, 04:13 PM   #1
mirek
6th Gear Member

car hesitated, then died

I drove the car to my gf's 1 hour away, and everything was fine when I drove there, when I got there I let the car idle and unloaded my bags. Then I went to park it, and as I got to the street it started hesitating and died. It wouldn't restart, it would try to turn over, slightly start and immediately died. Under the hood I located a loud strong sound that sounded like air blowing that was coming from under the fuel rail I think.

This morning I went to start the car and it started no problem, does anyone know what the problem was!?
mirek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 04:24 PM   #2
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
Starter on its way out?

the only other thing i could think of is a loose ignition coil (proliphic taught me how to replace em, but i was checking a coil, etc)
but then i doubt it would pop back into place.

but my guess is starter or frayed wire from battery

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 05:56 PM   #3
mirek
6th Gear Member

starter? wtf? guess again

anyone with actual info? lol..

Thanks anyways though dude... lol
Old 01-04-2006, 05:59 PM   #4
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
You ever tried starting your car with a bad battery? the starter will start turning over, you'll hear clicking, as if the car were going to start.

btw what does "start slightly mean"

the car started and then died? i dont understand how cars can slightly start

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 06:15 PM   #5
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
prop... I doubt his starter is on the way out. mirek's car was already started and driving fine when it hesitated and died.

mirek, as you said the car would turn over, begin to catch, then die. That could really only be three things:

1) not enough air (intake problem)
2) no gas
3) no spark

If there is too much air (intake leak), the car will still start... just be very very very very rough, then die. So it can't be that. It's possible that not enough air is getting in though, which could be an ECU, ICV, or MAF problem. Also make sure your intake (especially if you have an aftermarket one) isn't clogged up.

It's possible that you have a clogged fuel filter, bad gas, or your fuel pump is dying and becoming intermittent.

Also possible that your spark plugs, or ignition coils are dying... but that happening in the middle of driving would be a little odd.

Can you explain this hissing sound you heard? When would you hear it? Only when attempting to start? Would the sound chug with the car too?
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 07:05 PM   #6
Quack
Wheelman

Send a message via MSN to Quack
also possible that your alternator is dying, when you drove to your g/f the high revs gave your alternator just enough juice for everything to run properly, but when you got there & parked to unload the car, the car was just idling at low revs so your alternator wasn't pumping enough amps out so it was running off your battery, the car died because it has drained all the power out of the battery causing it hard to start, but once you let it sit for awhile the battery was ok, that's why you were able to start it again the next day

Maxbimmer Drama, You Gotta Love It
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 08:25 PM   #7
E36ForL!fe
Grabbed Second

Send a message via AIM to E36ForL!fe
^^^ that actually makes sense if u think about it, never really thought about that aspect of it.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:17 PM   #8
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack
also possible that your alternator is dying, when you drove to your g/f the high revs gave your alternator just enough juice for everything to run properly, but when you got there & parked to unload the car, the car was just idling at low revs so your alternator wasn't pumping enough amps out so it was running off your battery, the car died because it has drained all the power out of the battery causing it hard to start, but once you let it sit for awhile the battery was ok, that's why you were able to start it again the next day
It's possible, but his charging light would've came on while driving / while the battery was being drained... the car also would not have hesitated then died, it would've just shut off...
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 10:40 PM   #9
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

I'll go with justin on this one, a little more investigating is needed to narrow it down father.....if it was the altenator he wouldn't have been able to crank the car after it died.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:02 PM   #10
mirek
6th Gear Member

Sorry guys, been too busy to check responses.

It's not the starter or alternator. It turned over, and started, but then automatically died is what I meant. I wish i could have pin pointed the hissing blowing noise, but it was too dark. Oh well, i've got an hour drive on sunday back home, so hopefully it will make it without the problem arrising on the 401
Old 01-06-2006, 12:28 PM   #11
mpower1226
6th Gear Member

check your intake boot. It might be ripped or cracked. you have to check it really carefully as there could be a small cracks.
mpower1226 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: