Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-22-2005, 03:37 AM   #1
prynce_qt
2nd Gear Member

Need some advice on skiing equipment

I'm fairly new in skiing but I'm pretty good for a beginner, I did tackle the extreme hill at blue mountain last year on first day, lol. Anyways, I want to do more skiing and think it would be better to buy my own skis and save on the rentals. I don't really have a clue what to look into for skiing equipment. So here are so questions from the top of my head, feel free to add some additional advice I've missed.

I'm about 5'9, what length skis should I be buying? I'm not into speed skating, just for casual fun. And what does the different lengths do?

What do I need to know about the shape of the ski? I hear that the top being bigger gives better turns.

What do I need to know about boots? Size compared to shoes, brands, what to look for...

What about bindings? Same as above.

What about poles? Same as above.

What are some good name brands to look for and what to avoid.

Where to buy for good price? How about sportschek and alike?
Old 12-22-2005, 08:55 AM   #2
jstalin
capitalism=crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by prynce_qt
I'm about 5'9, what length skis should I be buying? I'm not into speed skating, just for casual fun. And what does the different lengths do?
Maybe 175cm's, basically, the longer the ski's, the faster you go. If you're just starting out, get skis that are roughly the same height as you, that way you have more control.

Quote:
What do I need to know about the shape of the ski? I hear that the top being bigger gives better turns.
Most of the newer skis are all shaped, and yes, the more curve the easier for turns. You want something with an hourglass shape for more control. The wider skis are meant for mountain skiing (powder), the really narrow skis for alpine racing, but for Ontario/Quebec you want something in between.

Quote:
What do I need to know about boots? Size compared to shoes, brands, what to look for...
This is the most important, spend the extra money and get quality boots. Everyone is different, it's important to try on as many different boots as you can and see what feels good for you. There's nothing worse than uncomfortable boots in -20 temps.

Quote:
What about bindings? Same as above.
Bindings aren't such a big deal when you're first starting out, I mean the difference between the high-end bindings and the cheaper ones basically have to do with ease of getting into them.
Whatever bindings you get, ask for risers put on them. This really helps your edges in turns and gives you much more control.

Quote:
What about poles? Same as above.
Just get the cheapest set.

Quote:
What are some good name brands to look for and what to avoid.
It's a matter of preference. Personally, I love the Salomon XScreams, currently have the Scramblers, which are okay. Stay away from the lower-end Atomics, depends really on how much you want to spend. Volkyl (sp?) make a sweet ski, I'd recommend something like these, very hot
http://www.parkcitysport.com/assets/...ot%20Pilot.jpg

Quote:
Where to buy for good price? How about sportschek and alike?
[/quote]

Can't think of the name, Ski & Boards or something, it's on Yonge between Eglinton & Lawrence on the East site, it's got great selection and has good prices. Stay away from Sport Check, they tend to carry the poorer models and the sales staff know nit about skiing.

Also, don't let them talk you into getting a $1000 pair of skis, coz when you're first starting out you won't be able to appreciate or take advantage of the high-end ski's qualities.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:01 AM   #3
sirex
King Sirex

my first set of skiis were used. I bought them from play it again sports they costed me 150$ came with bindings. They were parabolics. Which means they are a litle wider on the top and on the back ends and skinier in the middle...

Does it assist with turns? Yes. Can you ski straight with them? No... You always need to be turning otherwise they shake like mad.

Height, that all depends... I suggest up to your mouth/bottom of your nose... That means from tail to tip when the skiis back end is touching the floor the tip touches your nose or your mouth.

StifnessIF you are going to be skiing in Ontario only I suggest getting a stiffer ski this helps with grabing ice/ the machine groomed snow more easily.. My skiis are not very stiff and make it very very hard to ski blue mountain on a day when there is very little powder and machine groomed snow.
By stiffer I mean how easy is it to bend the skiis do they feel really sturdy in your hands and the what not.

poles For poles you want to be able to make a 90 degree angle with your arm and elbow. Try putting your arms right against your body... stratch your arms down along side your body, then bend at your eblows exactly 90 degrees. Put the poles in your hands, poles touching the floor obviously.
If arms stay at 90 degrees then thats a good size.

Boots, get a pair that feels good on your feet.. Its VERY VERY VERY HARD to find a cheap set of boots taht you will like...
I was very lucky and found a pair of boots for 100$ brand new. I think my brand was Louge or lunge or something like that.. starts with an L.. Anyway till I check them out in my garage, I cant remeber there name exactly but the only thing that is brand specific to this brands boots is that THEY ARE VERY VERY HARD TO PUT ON... I have talked to 5 people that have the same brand boots - different models - and they all say the same thing, very hard to put on... However, once you get it on, its the best boot youll ever wear hahaa.

Bindinds, they came with my skiis so i didn;t do any shopping for that. Since you are a beginner and if you are buying everything new, just go with the cheapest set. As long as the binding releases your boot when you fall and can set for beginner level tightness and offers a little bit of an advanced level of tightness go for those.

Brands to avoid.... I have nothing on that.. Ive been with my stuff for 4 years so dont really have much brand experience.

If you are going to buy used skiis, go with somone that knows something about skiis and can check the edges for you and make sure they aren;'t completely destroyed.

Thats pretty much it on my ends for skiing information... If you want to save money on skiin rental make sure you go with the cheeapest stuff.. You will be looking at at least 300$ of spending for your gear - and that is if you turn out to be as lucky as I was. I found everything I needed very cheap.

Try PLAY IT AGAINT SPORTs... Very few have used skiis so its probably best to call around.

After you make a decision, you can sharpen your skiis edges if they need to be sharpened. Dont bother waxing, it wont do anything for you, cept maybe protect your base from being scractched a little.

Last year, I found skiis on sale for 100$ from Sportsmart brand new, no binings though.

I suggest you check out sportsmart they have really good prices for new stuff.

Last edited by sirex; 12-22-2005 at 09:24 AM.
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 09:21 AM   #4
jstalin
capitalism=crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex

I agree with pretty much everything jstallin wrote cept about the risers. I dont think Risers will help you out much for your first year... I think risers also cost more money sinve you need to buy bindings with them.... anyway my 2 cents, if you are a beginner stay with the basics, learn to use that first, then upgrade..
Risers are really a matter of opinion, some people hate 'em and some swear by them, but they don't really cost much more, they're just a piece of plastic under the binding.

Also, be careful with Play it Again, sometimes their used gear is almost the cost of the new price, I find it often quite expensive, but yeah bring someone who knows skiing if you buy used.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:38 AM   #5
sirex
King Sirex

ahh.... yeah makes sense... Ive never used them so I cant really say...Though it makes sense why it would help, you sit higher on the ski, you can probably dig the edges in on your turns much easier as you stated
Old 12-22-2005, 02:06 PM   #6
prynce_qt
2nd Gear Member

thanks for the replies guys. i think i might go the used route to get better skis at a lower price. i can find a lot of used skis that are only used less than 10 times as they say. how's this, Dynastar downhill skis (170cm) with Tryolia bindings, Salomon Boots (Men's 9), poles, Ski bag for $120?
Old 12-22-2005, 02:12 PM   #7
jstalin
capitalism=crisis

Quote:
thanks for the replies guys. i think i might go the used route to get better skis at a lower price. i can find a lot of used skis that are only used less than 10 times as they say. how's this, Dynastar downhill skis (170cm) with Tryolia bindings, Salomon Boots (Men's 9), poles, Ski bag for $120?
Stay away from Dynastar, not good skiis at all, they're generally the cheapest on the market and what most resorts rent to beginners.

If you go the used route, make sure you bring along a skier, coz skiing is very personalized ie what's good for one person may be bad for the next. The perfect ski for you depends on your level, height/weight, type of skier, etc. That's why you gotta know your shit when buying used.

Actually, I've got pair of Head skis I would let go for 60$, but no boots. They're probably a good size for you too, a few years old but still in good condition

Last edited by jstalin; 12-22-2005 at 02:15 PM.
jstalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 04:17 PM   #8
sirex
King Sirex

Interesting.. My skiis are also HEAD haha.. Pretty good beinner skiis (the ones I got)
Old 12-22-2005, 04:41 PM   #9
prynce_qt
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstalin
Stay away from Dynastar, not good skiis at all, they're generally the cheapest on the market and what most resorts rent to beginners.

If you go the used route, make sure you bring along a skier, coz skiing is very personalized ie what's good for one person may be bad for the next. The perfect ski for you depends on your level, height/weight, type of skier, etc. That's why you gotta know your shit when buying used.

Actually, I've got pair of Head skis I would let go for 60$, but no boots. They're probably a good size for you too, a few years old but still in good condition
send some pics to tdbui @ rogers.com.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:04 PM   #10
uber e36
6th Gear Member

I'm 5'10" and when I was down in Tahoe last week I skied on both 174s and 167s. I prefered the 174s because I felt more in control at higher speeds.

Regarding brand of skis, each brand has good models and basic entry models. Regarding the Dynasters being bad skis, I use to have great Dynastar Race Skis... I would look at Volkl, Atomic or Salomon.

I'm out of the scene on boots, but make sure they allow you to flex. I'm skiing on my older Rossi Course KX and they are stiff as hell... It makes it hard in the bumps
uber e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 06:40 PM   #11
BMWF1

ski length varies on height and weight......longer skis make you go faster is the worst advise you can ever give to an amature skier, ****in idiot....go to a ski shop have them size you up, also different types of skis (even brands) have different variations on length....I ski on a K2 i'm 6' and 190lbs, ,,, ski on a 181. and with K2s i heard everyone say you should go with one size shorter.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:15 PM   #12
jstalin
capitalism=crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWF1
ski length varies on height and weight......longer skis make you go faster is the worst advise you can ever give to an amature skier, ****in idiot
Ah, longer skis DO make you go faster you vagina, coming from a former ski instructer.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:19 PM   #13
jstalin
capitalism=crisis

Quote:
send some pics to tdbui @ rogers.com.
I'll do it tomorrow night, they're at me parents & Ill take some pics

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: