Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-21-2005, 10:57 PM   #1
coolhand
Banned

Autobahn?

Hey guys, I've having the hankering to go to Germany, rent a bimmer and drive on the Autobahn. For some reason I was always under the impression that the highway is just one strech of road(like one highway). Infact it's all throughout the country. It's looks pretty awsome.

Who's been?

Also do you guys have any info on renting cars, a M5 perhaps?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...bahn_1-999.png
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autobahn
http://home.att.net/~texhwyman/autobahn.htm
coolhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:01 PM   #2
jstalin
capitalism=crisis

I've been on there, not such a big deal. It's a huge highway that stretches a few different countries really, but there are speed limits on most of it, just like any other highway.

Good luck renting an m5, probably set you back $1000 a day
Old 12-21-2005, 11:03 PM   #3
coolhand
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstalin
I've been on there, not such a big deal. It's a huge highway that stretches a few different countries really, but there are speed limits on most of it, just like any other highway.

Good luck renting an m5, probably set you back $1000 a day
There are speed limits on roads that have certain degree turns, at night, during bad weather conditions. Other then that the recomended speed is 130km/hr.

I know it would be much, but do you guys think I can get one without a governer?
Old 12-21-2005, 11:06 PM   #4
jstalin
capitalism=crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekniq
There are speed limits on roads that have certain degree turns, at night, during bad weather conditions. Other then that the recomended speed is 130km/hr.

I know it would be much, but do you guys think I can get one without a governer?
A governer? Doubtful rental agencies have cars like that. My cousin lives over there and he owns an M3, and he doesn't dare go into the fast lanes with it, so you need something seriously fast for the no-speed limit lanes.

But if that's all you want to do, then it'd really be a disappointment, like driving on the interstate with a few more lanes in certain spots.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:07 PM   #5
coolhand
Banned

Quote:
A governer? Doubtful rental agencies have cars like that. My cousin lives over there and he owns an M3, and he doesn't dare go into the fast lanes with it, so you need something seriously fast for the no-speed limit lanes.

But if that's all you want to do, then it'd really be a disappointment, like driving on the interstate with a few more lanes in certain spots.
I don't think so man. There must be a place that offers Autobahn specials.

Why wouldn't he go in the passing lane? That's just silly.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:11 PM   #6
jstalin
capitalism=crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekniq
I don't think so man. There must be a place that offers Autobahn specials.

Why wouldn't he go in the passing lane? That's just silly.
Well, I'm not sure... I've never had to rent a car in Europe, but I just can't logically see it. Being in the insurance industry, I honestly doubt that any agency would rent anything w/o a governer for the sole purpose of titheads getting their jollies blasting away on the autobahn.

And coz an M3 is shit compared to the Lambos and Ferrari's that drive in those lanes, it's nuts
Old 12-21-2005, 11:15 PM   #7
coolhand
Banned

Quote:
Well, I'm not sure... I've never had to rent a car in Europe, but I just can't logically see it. Being in the insurance industry, I honestly doubt that any agency would rent anything w/o a governer for the sole purpose of titheads getting their jollies blasting away on the autobahn.

And coz an M3 is shit compared to the Lambos and Ferrari's that drive in those lanes, it's nuts
I would take an M3 over any Lambo any day of the week.

http://home.att.net/~texhwyman/autobahn.htm:
Quote:
SPEED LIMITS

Despite the widespread belief of complete freedom from speed limits, and a lobbying effort that has the same power and deep pockets that the American gun lobby has, some speed regulations can be found on the Autobahns. Many sections, particularly those with dangerous curves, in urban areas, or with unusually constant heavy traffic, may feature speed limits ranging from 80 to 120 km/h (50-75 mph). In construction zones, the limit may be as low as 60 km/h (37 mph). Also, some sections now feature nighttime and wet-weather speed restrictions, and trucks are always regulated (see table below). Still, much of the Autobahn is unlimited, but there is a recommended limit of 130 km/h (81 mph). This recommendation is generally seen for what it is-- an attempt by the government to cover itself without having to upset millions of Porsche and BMW owners/voters. However, if you exceed the recommended limit and are involved in an accident, you could be responsible for some of the damage costs even if you are not at fault.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:19 PM   #8
jstalin
capitalism=crisis

I wouldn't. Im going over there in Feb, I can check up on that shit if u want
Old 12-22-2005, 12:34 AM   #9
windwagen
6th Gear Member

I was there in 97. I rented an Opel Corsa at the Munich Airport. What a letdown! The Avis parking lot had Opels of course, about 5 3 series, and 3 911s parked side by side with the Avis licence plate frames. I didn't know that the Opel was a POS, but it looked OK. As soon as I left the parking lot, the pedal was on the mat...hmmmm, this can't be good.

The Autobahn was really sad. I could only get it up to 130 on flat road. On a downhill run, my wife mentioned how all the traffic was whipping past us, even an old VW van smoked us like we were standing still. I told her to look at the speedo, and we were doing 160. Should have sprung for the Porsche

E39 528i Touring - Unicorn Package (5 Spd M)
E39 M5 - for Sunny Days
windwagen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 02:54 AM   #10
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
Took a turbo'ed benz out on the autobahn.

If you dont have a ferrari/porsche/lambo/mclaren/konesieg/ etc

STAY THE **** OUT OF THE FAST LANE.

and yes, you can go as fast as you can, i hit the speed limiter, then i hit the cruise control

(not all places is LEGAL to go as fast as you can but you'll be alright)

personally i suggest you BUY a m5 (older one) then resell it. i doubt they'll rent you an m5 for less than 2000$ a day

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
Fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black, ohlins, pazzo, cat delete, vance hines csone, YEC racing tune
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 08:42 AM   #11
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by proprone
Took a turbo'ed benz out on the autobahn.

If you dont have a ferrari/porsche/lambo/mclaren/konesieg/ etc

STAY THE **** OUT OF THE FAST LANE.
What a bunch of BS...

I lived in Germany for 3.5 years... There's nothing wrong with going into the fast lane even with a slower car... It's just that you should keep your eye on the rear view (like every 3 sec. max) and make sure you move over one lane asap. Because you never know when some 300 km/h car is going to come up behind you.

But most of the time, even my stock E30 325i was more then enough to use the left lane enough... because there are many more people on the road that don't go over 140 km/h then that do. And 240 km/h in my 325 was just fine.

Quote:
and yes, you can go as fast as you can, i hit the speed limiter, then i hit the cruise control

(not all places is LEGAL to go as fast as you can but you'll be alright)
You can go as fast as your car can physically go on autobahn roads that have no speed limit. I would however strongly advise against speeding otherwise, since they do love their photoradar there.

Quote:
personally i suggest you BUY a m5 (older one) then resell it. i doubt they'll rent you an m5 for less than 2000$ a day
Just get yourself a bigger/upscale rental.. it'll be fine, and you'll be able to do 200+ km/h... Unless you're looking in renting an exotic like a 911 or M5 which a normal rental agency usualy won't carry.

Even then the ///M series cars are limited to 250 km/h. Although they are available from BMW (if you were to buy one) with the limiter removed, I'm sure the rental agency let BMW keep it on the car.

Porsches on the other hand, they don't have a limiter (from the factory)... and if you're willing to spend say 2000+ Euro (maybe less) for a weekend of fun then go for it!
Old 12-22-2005, 08:58 AM   #12
jstalin
capitalism=crisis

Keep in mind, renting a high-end auto, especially if you're under 25, will cost you premium $$$.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:45 AM   #13
sirex
King Sirex

Quote:
Originally Posted by windwagen
I was there in 97. I rented an Opel Corsa at the Munich Airport. What a letdown! The Avis parking lot had Opels of course, about 5 3 series, and 3 911s parked side by side with the Avis licence plate frames. I didn't know that the Opel was a POS, but it looked OK. As soon as I left the parking lot, the pedal was on the mat...hmmmm, this can't be good.

The Autobahn was really sad. I could only get it up to 130 on flat road. On a downhill run, my wife mentioned how all the traffic was whipping past us, even an old VW van smoked us like we were standing still. I told her to look at the speedo, and we were doing 160. Should have sprung for the Porsche
HAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHA

HAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA

We rented a corsa in Greece.. Holy shit, slowwwww.. We topped out at 160 km/hr on a very long downhill with the Air condition offf.

Our top speed without a downhill push was 140, 4 people + luggage mind you cramped into that tiny car.

was yours the 1.0 litre??

and as stated above, they do love their photo-radar there.. My friend got busted by it hahhaha

Last edited by sirex; 12-22-2005 at 09:48 AM.
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 12:10 PM   #14
///Maluco
5erholic

I tried the Autobahn last year in a 320TD Benz. It was governed at 210, and unless I was going on a slight decline, that's where it stayed until I hit Munich Airport...ohhh what a feeling!
I'd have to say they sure obey the posted speed limit...in general
As for the passing lane, you go into the passing lane and everyone moves on over when their done...something that should be enforced here due to the dumbarses who casually stay on the passing lane cruising at 95km/h.

Here's a pic of my first time on the Autobahn. The rental was a bonus as they needed this Benz driven back from Austria to Munich airport, so I couldn't refuse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resize of Autobahn.JPG (89.2 KB, 29 views)
///Maluco is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: