Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-21-2005, 11:29 AM   #1
bimmerod
2nd Gear Member

Help with buying a Big Screen TV

Does anyone have any knowledge on big screen TV's?
I'm looking for around 60" and my budget is around $3K.
The 3 that I'm looking at Best Buy are the Sony 60" at $3999,
the Toshiba 62" at $2,999 and the Hitachi 60" at $3,499.
The Sony has a better picture but not a $1,000 worth.
I'm hoping for a boxing day sale.
I'm thinking the Hitachi is the best bang for the buck.
Any advice?
Thanks
bimmerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:30 AM   #2
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
buy a projector

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:38 AM   #3
jstalin
capitalism=crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerod
Does anyone have any knowledge on big screen TV's?
I'm looking for around 60" and my budget is around $3K.
The 3 that I'm looking at Best Buy are the Sony 60" at $3999,
the Toshiba 62" at $2,999 and the Hitachi 60" at $3,499.
The Sony has a better picture but not a $1,000 worth.
I'm hoping for a boxing day sale.
I'm thinking the Hitachi is the best bang for the buck.
Any advice?
Thanks
Be wary of which screen looks better based on the store displays. Best Buy et el normally mess with the contrast/brightness levels to make the more expensive tv's look better and the less expensive tv's look worse.

Sony has been getting a bad rep as of late, and deservedly so. I've had problems with all my Sony products in the last 2 years, and I've a friend who had problems with their Sony tv (products shouldn't just stop working). Toshiba is a good brand, but I believe if you're going with LCD, then Philips is the best make since they created the technology I believe.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:40 AM   #4
Gamite

I've been looking around for the same thing. apparently Sony SXRD is the best thing on the market right now. comes in 60" for about $4999. Better than LCD DLP and Plasma.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 12:12 PM   #5
Mimo
2nd Gear Member

hey!!!

I work for sears let me no which 1 you want ill match it and save you the tax!!!!!
Mimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 12:15 PM   #6
M3speed
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimo
I work for sears let me no which 1 you want ill match it and save you the tax!!!!!

^^^^ NICE GUY!!

i just bought a 42" Sony KFE42A10 and i'm very happy with it!!

Futureshop wanted $2399 and after some wheelin' and deelin' with them i bought it for $1999! great TV

Last edited by M3speed; 12-21-2005 at 12:17 PM.
M3speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 12:21 PM   #7
bimmerod
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimo
Thanks!!
This is the Toshiba I'm looking at

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...15&catid=23250
Old 12-22-2005, 12:55 PM   #8
bimmerod
2nd Gear Member

Anymore imput?
Old 12-22-2005, 01:10 PM   #9
XI JR IX
1st BMW

Send a message via MSN to XI JR IX
I work at 2001 Audio/Video.. we used to carry Toshiba tv's, but we ran into lots of problems with Toshiba servicing warranty issues, so we completely got rid of all of their product in our stores.

As for the comment on changing the display setttings to make more expensive tv's look nicer, definatly not true.. (However, I do not speak on the behalf of Best Buy) We may spend more time tweaking/adjusting the picture settings of the better tv's, so they are displaying the best picture possible; and at the same time, not even bother adjusting any of the display settings on a regular crt tube television after different customers play around with them, etc.

The 42" Sony that M3speed purchased is a really nice looking tv because its this year's model and Sony has re-designed the whole appearance of the tv and the technology as well. It now comes with the 3LCD technology, seperating the colours into R,G,B to display a much better quailty picture. I own the last years model of the 42" (KV42WE620) and this year's model kills it and at the price of $1,999 (FYI, which is 4% above the cost of the television) you can't find much better than that. However; it's not going to be offered at that price for much longer.

We do not carry the Sony SXRD, which i believe is the LCD Flat Panel. We carry the model below this, the Bravia. But I have heard a lot of great things about it.
XI JR IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 01:18 PM   #10
jstalin
capitalism=crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by XI JR IX

As for the comment on changing the display setttings to make more expensive tv's look nicer, definatly not true.. (However, I do not speak on the behalf of Best Buy) We may spend more time tweaking/adjusting the picture settings of the better tv's, so they are displaying the best picture possible; and at the same time, not even bother adjusting any of the display settings on a regular crt tube television after different customers play around with them, etc.
The first sentence you deny it, the next you admit to doing it. WTF? I rest my case.

Also, 2001 Audio Video are a bunch of kify crooks, I wouldn't take a tv there if it were given to me. My friend just bought a tv there, two days later the picture went. He had a **** of a time getting 2001 to do anything about it, they sold him a piece of shit and refused to take it back. Not worth the trouble if you ask me, buy from Bay Bloor Radio or Best Buy or even Walmart, at least they stand by their products.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:45 PM   #11
bimmerod
2nd Gear Member

Let's not get off track with he said she said.
I really need your advice here.
BTW I bought a car stereo at 2001 in the summer and was very very impressed with the guys knowledge. Remember they sell them not make them.
You can find aholes everywhere.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:15 PM   #12
sirex
King Sirex

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstalin
Be wary of which screen looks better based on the store displays. Best Buy et el normally mess with the contrast/brightness levels to make the more expensive tv's look better and the less expensive tv's look worse.

Sony has been getting a bad rep as of late, and deservedly so. I've had problems with all my Sony products in the last 2 years, and I've a friend who had problems with their Sony tv (products shouldn't just stop working). Toshiba is a good brand, but I believe if you're going with LCD, then Philips is the best make since they created the technology I believe.

yeah very true... read up the stats online, and dont make a decision by what theyhave on display.. their stuff is never hooked up right and its on shitty conections, the quality looks like shit on tvs that are suppose to look good...

I only know this cuz my dad is a pro at electronics and he can see the diffrences, of what it is suppose to be and what its not suppose to be..

Last edited by sirex; 12-22-2005 at 02:18 PM.
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 02:27 PM   #13
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by XI JR IX
this year's model kills it and at the price of $1,999 (FYI, which is 4% above the cost of the television)
Either that's BS or 2001 is getting owned by the sony distributor. Futureshop/Bestbuy's cost is around 1650, 1800 for employees.

Bimmerod: if you really want that toshiba from bby/FS, I can help you get it for about 2700+tax (from bby), my company is owned by bestbuy so I'm technically an employee.
BigD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 03:08 PM   #14
bimmerod
2nd Gear Member

Bimmerod: if you really want that toshiba from bby/FS, I can help you get it for about 2700+tax (from bby), my company is owned by bestbuy so I'm technically an employee.[/quote]

Thanks BigD,
Are you not in Vancouver?
If I just walked in off of the street, realistically how low will they go if it's on sale for $2999.99?
Old 12-22-2005, 03:09 PM   #15
bimmerod
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex
yeah very true... read up the stats online, and dont make a decision by what theyhave on display.. their stuff is never hooked up right and its on shitty conections, the quality looks like shit on tvs that are suppose to look good...

I only know this cuz my dad is a pro at electronics and he can see the diffrences, of what it is suppose to be and what its not suppose to be..
Stats online?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: