Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-19-2005, 05:53 PM   #1
PelicanGolf2
Stuck in traffic

Thumbs down E30 parking brake delete!!!!

So I was out Xmas shopping yesterday, I take off at a light and I hear this crunch noise, sounded like I ran over a chunk of ice, turns out that my parking brake on the passenger side decided to shit the bed in and explosion of little parts floating around inside the rotor . I was close to home when the noise started to get really bad and as I was pulling into my garage the wheel was starting to lock up. I originally thought I lost the brake pad lining, because that had happened to me before. So I jacked it up, pulled the wheel off, took the caliper off and then the braket and finally the rotor. as soon as I took off the locating screw for the rotor, It sprang off and all these little bits of parking brake springs and levers fell to the ground like grandma's knee highs on a sunday afternoon.

Has this happen to anybody else?

here are some pics.

PelicanGolf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 05:59 PM   #2
PelicanGolf2
Stuck in traffic

one more pic

Old 12-19-2005, 06:41 PM   #3
RobY330i
2nd Gear Member

!!?! That just happened to me last month. PITA!!!

Apparently its common.
RobY330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 08:08 PM   #4
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
happend to the previous owner of my e30 and now im stuck workin my ass off to replace all the parts and the backing plate....you wouldnt belive how much work and parts have to be replaced just to get to that P.O.S!!
Old 12-19-2005, 09:12 PM   #5
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Yup,

Same thing happened to me, my backing plates are ****'d, I took everything out. In the spring time im gonna put, new backing plates, wheel bearings(you need to remove the old ones to get to it) and all the parking brake hardware......the damn parking brake cables better be good when im done.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:19 PM   #6
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30
Yup,

Same thing happened to me, my backing plates are ****'d, I took everything out. In the spring time im gonna put, new backing plates, wheel bearings(you need to remove the old ones to get to it) and all the parking brake hardware......the damn parking brake cables better be good when im done.
both??? damn dat sux...im only changing the messed one now and in the spring or summer imma do the other side..its sorta a good thing u have to go thru the bearings to get to the plate cuz today i found out my left one was startin to go....
Old 12-19-2005, 09:21 PM   #7
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by PelicanGolf2
So I was out Xmas shopping yesterday, I take off at a light and I hear this crunch noise, sounded like I ran over a chunk of ice, turns out that my parking brake on the passenger side decided to shit the bed in and explosion of little parts floating around inside the rotor . I was close to home when the noise started to get really bad and as I was pulling into my garage the wheel was starting to lock up. I originally thought I lost the brake pad lining, because that had happened to me before. So I jacked it up, pulled the wheel off, took the caliper off and then the braket and finally the rotor. as soon as I took off the locating screw for the rotor, It sprang off and all these little bits of parking brake springs and levers fell to the ground like grandma's knee highs on a sunday afternoon.

Has this happen to anybody else?

here are some pics.

lol thoses shoes look like it got the beating of its life...what happend to the top half of that shoe to the left in the first pic....the surface looks like its grooved or somethng
Old 12-19-2005, 09:26 PM   #8
Mitch Fong
2nd Gear Member

Lol, my hand rear end sounded like the muffler was dragging on the road when this happened to me a couple weeks ago.
Got it taken apart yesterday and the two bolts/spring, that hold the parking brake shoes in palce were backed out. I think the reasoning is becuase the cover that completely surrounds the brake disc(inwhich the two bolts go into to lock the brake shoes on) has rusted away so they cannot hold on anymore.
Heres what they look like lol

Im glad my whole parking brake didnt blow up like yours. that shitty. where do you get the parks? i need to get these new bolts.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:53 AM   #9
E30 Girl
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to E30 Girl
Same thing happened to me last winter I just had everything taken out and now I have no parking brake at all...lol
E30 Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 09:13 AM   #10
JazzM
6th Gear Member

looks vaguely familiar...

T.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:03 AM   #11
chromius
6th Gear Member

same exact thing happend to me a couple of months ago. It is apparently very common.

Needless to say, even when they arn't blowing up they don't even work very well. I still have no idea why they had to make such an over complicated system like this. Why couldn't they just do like most manufacturers and use the main pad and rotor....why did they have to make a completely seperate system with a drum brake
Old 12-20-2005, 10:57 AM   #12
PelicanGolf2
Stuck in traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30_kid89
lol thoses shoes look like it got the beating of its life...what happend to the top half of that shoe to the left in the first pic....the surface looks like its grooved or somethng

The rest of the shoe was crumbled into dust and that adjustment wheel was lodged into it, looks like it shifted inside the rotor and all the little bits went between the rotor and the brake pad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromius_e30
same exact thing happend to me a couple of months ago. It is apparently very common
do E36 rear brakes use a system like this?? I wonder if the is an alternate caliper that would fit, that use a different cable. Most rear disc brake systems I have seen have a mechanical actuator that locks the piston in place so that you only have one set of brake pads in the rear.

More info on a conversion is needed.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:10 PM   #13
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzM
looks vaguely familiar...

T.
Yeah, no kidding.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 08:48 PM   #14
MisTAmaN
2nd Gear Member

same problem is happening with me also with my parking brake, do you guys think its worth repairing or better having no parking brake at all ?
MisTAmaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 10:08 PM   #15
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Park it in gear FTW. That's if you are cheap, I like to have parking brake working.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: