Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Wheels&Tires
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-15-2005, 12:57 AM   #1
vegabass
How do i shift gears?

Snow tire psi?

Whats going on,

I got myself some snow tires and i was wondering what PSI (air pressure) i should be at. Someone told me to be at a lower psi in the winter. The sticker on the door rating is at 32 psi front, 38 psi back. and then its like 39 front 46 back. I dont know what it should be at. PLEASE HELP. Car 330i
vegabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 01:25 PM   #2
Jiver
All For One & One For All

Send a message via MSN to Jiver
Tire Pressure

Vegabass,

The first two values are for normal loads and the second set of values is for maximum load. I suggest you go with the first set of values, 32 and 38. If you are constantly driving with four passengers and luggage go with the higher values.

Enter the World of Ballroom Dance
One for All and All for One
Jiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 01:47 PM   #3
Quack
Wheelman

Send a message via MSN to Quack
put 4psi higher than what normal rating is, in the winter tire pressures go down so you have to add more to componsate, if you put lower psi in your tire you will have a larger contact patch to the ground which you don't want in the winter

Maxbimmer Drama, You Gotta Love It
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 02:29 PM   #4
vegabass
How do i shift gears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack
put 4psi higher than what normal rating is, in the winter tire pressures go down so you have to add more to componsate, if you put lower psi in your tire you will have a larger contact patch to the ground which you don't want in the winter
How come u dont want more contact patch. I thought that is what you are trying to achieve? Its me myself and i driving most of the time so i should do that 32 and 38 or do what quack said and go 36 and 42 psi then? How come they are different from front to back? All my family members cars have the same psi all around.

Last edited by vegabass; 12-15-2005 at 02:33 PM.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:09 PM   #5
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

In the snow less is more. More weight per unit of area is a good thing (reduced contact pactch).

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 08:20 PM   #6
Quack
Wheelman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegabass
How come u dont want more contact patch. I thought that is what you are trying to achieve? Its me myself and i driving most of the time so i should do that 32 and 38 or do what quack said and go 36 and 42 psi then? How come they are different from front to back? All my family members cars have the same psi all around.

you want the tire to be more narrow, so higher psi will make the center of the tire the contact patch, when it's narrow the tire will cut through the snow easier, here's a cheesy example, hockey skates are narrow, less contact but easy to control, hockey puck more contact patch, all it does is slide all over the place

Old 12-15-2005, 08:50 PM   #7
vegabass
How do i shift gears?

Quote:
you want the tire to be more narrow, so higher psi will make the center of the tire the contact patch, when it's narrow the tire will cut through the snow easier, here's a cheesy example, hockey skates are narrow, less contact but easy to control, hockey puck more contact patch, all it does is slide all over the place
ok, makes sense. But wont that wear out my snow tires from over inflation?
Old 12-15-2005, 09:31 PM   #8
Quack
Wheelman

not really, the cold reduces tire pressure, the colder it gets the lower the pressure in your tires, that's why you have to add more in the winter

Old 12-15-2005, 10:18 PM   #9
King Luis
The King.

Send a message via MSN to King Luis
look at rally cars when they race in the snow...the tires are probably as wide as your keyboard (short side).

Sold:2004 Silver Gray M3
Mods: Dice Unit, EAS Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors, CSL Diffuser, Smoked Corners, PSS10s, 15mm Front and 10mm Rear Spacers.

Gone:1990 Brilliantrot 325is
Mods: Alpine speakers and HU, Euro Projectors, Magnaflow Muffler, Euro Smoked Tails and GC Coilovers.
King Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:50 PM   #10
Gamite

Quote:
not really, the cold reduces tire pressure, the colder it gets the lower the pressure in your tires, that's why you have to add more in the winter

but remember, if the tire is already very cold, it wont' go down in pressure, it will only go down with temperature changes. technically it should not go down that much since the air outside and the air within the tire will go down at similar rates.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 01:21 AM   #11
vegabass
How do i shift gears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamite
but remember, if the tire is already very cold, it wont' go down in pressure, it will only go down with temperature changes. technically it should not go down that much since the air outside and the air within the tire will go down at similar rates.
alright, so can someone give me a PSI number to use _____ front and _____ back. That way i can set it, and maintain it at that level.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:22 PM   #12
rico328i
5th Gear Member

psi

I personally run 32f 35r on my 328i w/winter tires. You may want to fool around with different psi's. It's a 'touch/personal' thing. Also depends on the particular tire you're using.

I have notice though in actual snow, 4cm + I definitely get better traction with a slightly lower psi. Again...I think it's a personal thing.

narrow tires in snow = more lbs/sq inch.
rico328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 08:28 PM   #13
kidneykill
3rd Gear Member

I run 32 F and 38 r (Dunlop M3) on my 330ci, but my max load is 2 people.
kidneykill is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: