Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-14-2005, 01:05 PM   #1
Mavrick
2nd Gear Member

Blower Motor Trouble

I am having trouble with the blower in our 88 325i. We had replaced the transistor, and it lasted for a month or so... then speed 1 wouldnt work, then 2.. and so on. It stopped working entirely just over a week ago, so we had Bimmerhaus (bolton) replace the transistor again and lube the assembly up. Well, less than a week later it blew a fuse... we replaced the fuse and it worked great for about 30 seconds, and blew again. Yesturday, i replaced the fuse again and took the housing off of the blower. I turned it on and played with it for a couple minutes.. seemed OK. I threw it all back together and went for a half hour drive and the blower worked on all speeds. This morning upon starting the car up (in the cold), the fuse blew within 10 seconds.

How can i go about diagnosing this problem? The blower fans spin freely by hand with next to no effort.. i don't see why the motor is trying to suck so much juice that it is blowing the fuse!

Please help,

Thanks.
Mavrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 08:04 PM   #2
Slowered318
Powered by Budgies

Ah Peter giving you the run around.

The fan spins freely cause the bushings are completely worn out. You need a new fan motor I had the same problem last fall.

I have a used fan if you don't want to pay the 200+ for a new one

But I could be wrong and you may have a messed up wire or problem inside your fuse box.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:32 PM   #3
RMPMOTORS
MaXsponsor

Well If you need any parts or service , We are located in Bolton (close to where Bolton Motor Works used to be ). Licenced certified BMW Factory trained tech.

It sounds like the motor may be moving to much in the worn bushings causing grounding blowing the fuse, or it may be also possible that the lube you used on the motor is causing it to ark to ground.

You can give me a call at the shop if you need any more help.

Rocco

Eibach-Koni-Bilstein-H&R-Powerflex-KW Suspension-OEM Parts+ MORE
EUROPEAN AUTO SERVICE & PERFORMANCE

www.RMPMOTORS.com

www.Facebook.com/RMPMotors
RMPMOTORS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 10:22 PM   #4
Mavrick
2nd Gear Member

Ya.. Peter told us that the motor is done.. he has been my dads mechanic ever since he's owned his BMW's (95 or so). I've never met him, is this guy shady or what? Dad has been happy with him for the last 10+ years as far as i know.

I'll see if my dad wants to go with the used fan (aslong as its the right one.. 5" cage for aluminum heater core).. how much shipped to Collingwood? The new one is $225 from Peter. I called Open Road BMW in Owensound and they wanted $442 for the blower motor!!!!
Mavrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: