Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-13-2005, 08:43 PM   #1
jeffrie
Addict

Door not always shut

Drivers door seems closed but not, King pins as they are called on a Chev.
BMW's don't have King Pins they have hinges. How do you fix a sagging door in a e36.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 08:47 PM   #2
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
You replace the bent hinges, hopfully the frame of your vehicle or hinge mounts on your door are not bent, otherwise it will require some straightening + reinforcing.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 08:56 PM   #3
jeffrie
Addict

^^^ in case your right how do you reinforce the door frame?
Well geuss I'll just get under and bench the door up a bit to unbend the bent hinges, but both door are bent just drivers door doesn't close as easy, not looking good since passenger door is used maybe 50 times in the past two years....

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:03 PM   #4
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

hmmm

hopefully it's somehting simple like the bolts in the hinges came loose through use?
talking out my A-hole as i have no clue about bmw doors either.

my 318is inner handle to open my door was CRAZY STIFF, thought a cable would be snapping inside the door one day.
turned out all i needed was some good Lube on my door stricker latch
Old 12-15-2005, 03:05 AM   #5
mpower1226
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdbley'sBro
hmmm

hopefully it's somehting simple like the bolts in the hinges came loose through use?
talking out my A-hole as i have no clue about bmw doors either.

my 318is inner handle to open my door was CRAZY STIFF, thought a cable would be snapping inside the door one day.
turned out all i needed was some good Lube on my door stricker latch
it could be the door striker thats little worn out over the years of usage. Door striker is coverd by plastic material which can be worn out. if it is it could be out of allignment.

use electric tape to cover the striker and see if it helps in anyway. If it does then its the door striker.
mpower1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 03:12 AM   #6
mpower1226
6th Gear Member

or another way is to re align the door catch on the door.

get a star wrench to loosen up the 2 stars and re allign the door catch by pushing little bit inward. but dont push it all the way as it would result in door being misaligned upward.

But as I said in eariler post, Change the STRIKER AND DOOR CATCH at same time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0002.JPG (39.4 KB, 45 views)
Old 12-15-2005, 07:04 AM   #7
jeffrie
Addict

^^^ no plastic at all left on the striker, & warn to the metal on passenger side.
Tried bending the hindges up and all it did was move the enire car, 0 play so geuss hinges are fine as well as the door frame.

Old 12-15-2005, 08:27 PM   #8
mpower1226
6th Gear Member

there's your problem then, just grab the new strikers from dealers.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: