Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-12-2005, 09:40 PM   #16
sirex
King Sirex

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusher
Hey guys..

I'm going to try out snowboarding this Saturday... Where can I get some decent not so expensive gear around the GTA?

I already have the jacket, wrist protector, gloves, goggles, boots and i'm just getting those water resistant pants at cosco.. As for the snowboard my friend told me that I should try out the boards first at Blue mountain and see which one do I like... I think i'm going to like freestyle but we will see Oh ya, I use to skateboard a lot in high school so hopefully I can still remember how-to to balance myself Anyways, do you guys have any advise for me?

Thanks
Jeff

EDIT
just read what axxe posted.. his snowboarding knowledge is vastly superior than mine.

Amg_ Power you say that Snowboard> skis, but have you ever even skiied? or learned how to do it properly?

Last edited by sirex; 12-12-2005 at 09:44 PM.
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 09:49 PM   #17
crusher
OMGHI2U2

Send a message via Skype™ to crusher
Thanks guys for the advices... definately going to get freeride.

Rodo, i'm 5'8 165lbs from 194lbs 5 months ago From the sites I read, my board should be 156-158cm. I'm sure your burton is cool but that would be too short for me.

Axxe, where do you teach? can you give me some idea how much would the 8 week program cost me?

and guys, what do you think about used boards for sale? I saw a really nice one 2002 burton crash 156cm and it's very cheap compared to those new ones. I'm thinking of getting two used boards to learn on and get moderately stiff bindings.

Jeff
crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 09:50 PM   #18
M3ti Compact
Fuel Efficient 318 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG_POWER
Snowboard> skis
No way. Skis go faster, stop faster, turn better, have way more control and are infinitely more stable at any speed as compared to snowboards.

I own both a set of skis and a snowboard, been skiing since Poma lifts and 1 pieces were in style and got the snowboard 5 years ago- so and am proficient at both- so before anyone says anything about that.

When I used to race on my high school ski team, the skiiers average between 5 and 10 seconds faster than the boarders every run.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:55 PM   #19
crusher
OMGHI2U2

PS: Guys.. I forgot to ask about the boots.. If i'm 10.5 size should I get 10.5 or get 11 to get more space in there?

Jeff
Old 12-12-2005, 10:09 PM   #20
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Depends on fit. I personnaly like slightly oversized boots (half size) for all day comfort. You don't want it too loose though, or blisters will own you.

Skiing vs Snowboarding: I switched at a young age, never learned to ski as well as a I snowboard, so I can't really comment. But skiers do have an advantage, they have two edges vs. one snowboard edge. Ski technology took the parabolic shape from snowboards, and well, snowboarding is a lot more rewarding, all the snowboard instructors have non-stop fun, no matter what the conditions. Skiers are always like : "The snow is too hard, the snow is too soft, my thermals are too tight, yada yada"

Crusher: I've never looked into pricing, but around $300 is my guess. Keep in mind that this includes (at least at hockley) 8 full day passes and a 2 hr lesson every week. It makes sense economically, as each day with a group lesson is about $100 (including ticket).

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 10:27 PM   #21
rodo
6th Gear Member

where did you see the used board? show meee

BTW When i was 12 or so I took that 8 week, i think it was, every weekend at Blue Mountain and it helped me out soooo much, its unbelievable!

2010 Expedition

Objects in mirror are farther than they appear Only in a BMW

rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 10:46 PM   #22
Razkal
6th Gear Member

If anyone wants to do a Max snowboard day, let's do it! I have been riding since '88 and usually go every weekend to Blue Mtn...

Need any help with branding your company/services? :
http://www.businessninja.ca

Razkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 10:47 PM   #23
M3ti Compact
Fuel Efficient 318 Member

lol...how I learned snowboarding...

Me and my cousins were at Whistler I don't know how long ago, I think it was '96. We (on skis) were tired of having to wait for the slow people in our group at the bottom every time, so for kicks we decided to rent snowboards.

Lessons were fully booked, and common, who goes to Whistler to learn? So we said screw it, just go up the Peak chair and take it from there. For those of you who don't know, the Peak chair goes to the peak of the mountain and is experts only. It took us a while, but by the time we got to the bottom, my pants were soaked through, and I literally had snow up my inside shirt. But now we knew how to board.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:48 PM   #24
sirex
King Sirex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe
Skiers are always like : "The snow is too hard, the snow is too soft, my thermals are too tight, yada yada"

maybe you shouldn't hang around cry babies..
Ive never had a bad day skiing (as in not enjoy it)
Ill admit that I dont like skiing on ice, but what can you do, Ontario sucks. Ive only once expeirenced perfect conditions at Blue Mountain... Every hill was amazing, the snow was perfect.... Every other time its been to much ice.. The snow being soft is what makes it fun for everyone. Ice, makes it difficult. Then again, I got a crappy pair of skiis that are ideal for powder, and therefore suck on machine groomed packed snow, and the ice rings you tend to get in the afternoon..

and crusher, i thought you had never snowboarded before... you should really rent a snow board for a day before you purchase every thing.

Last edited by sirex; 12-12-2005 at 10:52 PM.
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 10:52 PM   #25
crusher
OMGHI2U2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodo
where did you see the used board? show meee

BTW When i was 12 or so I took that 8 week, i think it was, every weekend at Blue Mountain and it helped me out soooo much, its unbelievable!
craigslist and ebay has some good used ones. BUt ebay I stay away from ebay unless it's local where I can personally see it.

Jeff
Old 12-12-2005, 11:01 PM   #26
crusher
OMGHI2U2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex
crusher, i thought you had never snowboarded before... you should really rent a snow board for a day before you purchase every thing.
sirex.. thats right. The only thing is the snow board that i'm looking at is complete at $150 bucks including bindings plus it's chrismass lol and ya like what you said i'm not going to get anything more than 200 bucks since i'm a beginner.

Jeff
Old 12-12-2005, 11:08 PM   #27
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

M3ti Compact: Just because you made it to the bottom doesn't mean you know how to ride properly.99.999999% who are "self-taught" snowboarders suck. They can't adapt to different terrain, conditions, etc. Not saying that it's you, but self learning is definately not good in snowboarding. Many small details that if not picked up when starting off, will leed to many bad habits.

Sirex: I have worked at Blue for 1 season, Mt. St Louis for 1 season, and now it's going to be my 3rd season at Hockley Valley. Most skiers hate ice, and can't stand summer slush, and always bitch about it. If there is snow on the ground, I'm happy. Also, you need to have TOP of the line gear to ride ice, beleive it or not. I can carve all day long on ice with my Salomon, no problem.

Crusher: Renting the first time out is a good idea, at least you can see if the sport appeals to you. Also, it will show you what kind of equipment NOT to buy (rentals generally suck). Stance on the board is crucial, so make sure you set up the proper direction (regular or goofy) as well as mild angles ( + 15 fron, - 5 rear) to give you a more "knees spread open" stance, AKA cowboy. You want to have your knees over your feet with your toes pointing away from the center of the board.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 11:20 PM   #28
moregothanshow
All Show No Go!

if its your first time out u should take a lesson, the reason i say take 1 lesson first is because it really comes down to your learning curve. last year i went snowboarding for the first time and was advised to get lessons so i did, but the only available class was at 8pm and i was strapped up and ready to go by 6:30 so i started on the bunny slope. by the time my lesson came i already figured out how to carve. so the way i see it is take one lesson, see how that goes, and after that, you can decide on how many more lesson u feel u will need b4 u feel comfortable hitting bigger slopes.... btw u can also go to boardzone located between bathrust & yonge on steeles for some gear. the prices there are decent and they have some good service.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:46 PM   #29
BMWFORLIFE
Technoviolet Shifting

Axxe your at Waterloo...sick man..im at your rival school..what prog r u in?
BMWFORLIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 11:59 PM   #30
moregothanshow
All Show No Go!

btw crusher, get a butt/ass pad, i would recommend "red" the brand, owned by burton. it keeps your butt protected from the cold, when on the lift, strapping up, and when u wipe out. also protects your tail bone, for when u do dumb things.... i also cant stress enough, get a helmet!!!! it is very very important. u will be surprised how much u will need it... my helmet saved my life last year...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: