Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-12-2005, 07:15 PM   #1
crusher
OMGHI2U2

Send a message via Skype™ to crusher
Question Snowboarding questions

Hey guys..

I'm going to try out snowboarding this Saturday... Where can I get some decent not so expensive gear around the GTA?

I already have the jacket, wrist protector, gloves, goggles, boots and i'm just getting those water resistant pants at cosco.. As for the snowboard my friend told me that I should try out the boards first at Blue mountain and see which one do I like... I think i'm going to like freestyle but we will see Oh ya, I use to skateboard a lot in high school so hopefully I can still remember how-to to balance myself Anyways, do you guys have any advise for me?

Thanks
Jeff
crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 07:20 PM   #2
AMG_POWER
500HP Member

Yea def try it! I'd suggest take a group class it really helps especially when you are trying it first time, they will teach you basic stuff and after that its alot easier. Thats what i did, and i wanna take another class this winter too.

Snowboard> skis
Old 12-12-2005, 07:24 PM   #3
born slippy
wasting time.

To support the sport you should always check out the local shops like Hogtown and Surf Paradise. both of which tend to have some good prices and knowledgable staff. Everyone at shops like that will be riders themselves. If it comes down to it, places such as Sporting Life will have huge selection and normally some decent prices.

And in terms of what type of board to buy and try out, by no means are you going to be jumping on your first excursions out, so i would stay away from a 'freestyle' board and lean more towards one that falls under the freeride category. It will be a bit stiffer, a few centimeters longer and will allow you to carve the slopes with a bit more ease.

Experiment though, talk to some reps at shops and you will soon find out what will work best. Have fun.
born slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 07:24 PM   #4
jstalin
capitalism=crisis

if ur looking for a board I've got a brand new one for sale, never used
Old 12-12-2005, 07:41 PM   #5
crusher
OMGHI2U2

Send a message via Skype™ to crusher
Thanks guys for the info.. I'll definately check out our local shops. As for the lessons, I'll check it out when I get there on Saturday. It's much better than learning on your own which sucks, hopefully some of my friends will teach me some basic skills and not laught at my ass off when I fall over. heh heh

jstalin, what kind of board do you have specs?

Jeff
crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 08:22 PM   #6
chia
Keepin' It Fake.

"when" you fall over. =)

you'll be on your ass for the entire first day, and your lower back is going to KILLL... but don't give up.

experience with riding a skateboard doesn't help much on a snowboard... i found it sooo difficult =/

it's pretty fun once you get the hang of it... good luck
Old 12-12-2005, 08:31 PM   #7
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Snowboarding learning curve is very steep. If you are serious about learning how to ride, sign up for an 8 week program. That way you have motivation to show up each and every weekend, and you progress nicely throughout the season.

As for equipment, don't skimp out on pants!! You WILL spend 90% of your first season on your ass, so you want nice warm and waterproof pants. Good quality gloves (with a high cuff) are also a must.

Board/Bindings/Boots: Start out on a freeride board with moderately stiff bindings and boots, but wear the boots loose for the first little while. You don't want "freestyle" shit because for now you have to learn how to control the board, and get comfortable on the snow.

Stance and balance is the most important skill to learn, as it is what the rest of riding is built upon. I can't stress it enough.

Most importantly, have fun, and don't get discouraged. It's an excellent activity that is fun and rewarding.

Cheers

Your friendly neighbourhood snowboard instructor.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 08:31 PM   #8
rodo
6th Gear Member

i have a burton board with bindings for sale? It woudl probably be too small for you, but that might make it a lot easier to learn to ride on since its shorter, it would be easier to manuver, so easier to learn to turn, etc. Then when you get really good and desire more speed you get a new board

2010 Expedition

Objects in mirror are farther than they appear Only in a BMW

rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 08:33 PM   #9
Axxe

Actually, beleive it or not but shorter boards are the worst things to start of on. It is very easy to develop bad habits like counter rotation ("forcing" the board to swing with your back foot) and improper edging, pressure control, and pivoting. Just say no to undersized boards.

Same thing goes for oversized; you want a board that fits you well, it's mostly based on weight.

I'm 230 and ride a 159 for teaching/freeriding in Ontario, and a 164 for out west (pow-pow), and a 205 race board. I'm not much for the freestyle scene.

Old 12-12-2005, 08:42 PM   #10
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
axxe you got too many talents man

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 08:44 PM   #11
rodo
6th Gear Member

ok well the board i have for sale is a Burton 139

2010 Expedition

Old 12-12-2005, 08:45 PM   #12
Axxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by proprone
axxe you got too many talents man
Yeah, I'm pretty good at pissing people off, snowboarding, fixing broken shit, and breaking fixed shit.

Sorry Rodo, didn't mean to put down your sale, just letting everyone know the perils of using the wrong equipment.

Old 12-12-2005, 08:47 PM   #13
rodo
6th Gear Member

whatever, ive been snowboarding for a long time and I ride a burton 168 Alpine. I'm a burton guy, thats the way I roll.

BTW if you know of anyone that wants to buy a Burton Factory Prime 146 I've one for sale

2010 Expedition

Old 12-12-2005, 08:50 PM   #14
Axxe

I ride a Salomon 450 (the 159) a burton custom 164 (got it for $100 used), and a custom made 205. And flow bindings (flamesuit on).

My Salomon >>>>>>>>>>>>>> My Burton for stiffness, response, edge control.

I just sold my 157 factory prime. Was way to short for me, had it for two weeks. I'm too aggressive for short race boards.

Last edited by Axxe; 12-12-2005 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:03 PM   #15
rodo
6th Gear Member

i am pondering getting a freestyle/freeride set up. I can get:

-2005 Salomon ACE, 157 or something around there
-2005 Salomon SP3 bindings
-2005 Salomon Symbio boots

for an unbelievable price. Everything new ofcourse, but I dont know if i should drop the money or not

2010 Expedition

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: