Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-10-2005, 07:49 PM   #46
sirex
King Sirex

you make it sound like your saving millions.

35$ for there 6mbps connection. (with rental fee included)

I pay the same ammount with rogers. Though its a good alternative for not having rogers thats for sure... If I get banned from rogers high speed, ill switch to 3web, or back to Sympatico.
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 09:48 PM   #47
Furious
BMW again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinair
I'll keep my Sympatico, no cap (I average out at about 160-180GB/month), I get a solid 4.45Mb/s (540-560KB/s or so) consistantly.

My only complaint is the upload speed, which is usually around 720-760Kb/s (90-95KB/s), and recently they got rid of the modem rental fee waiving option.

agreed no cap but im running 5.32MB/S
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 11:24 PM   #48
chia
Keepin' It Fake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim .E.
just got off the phone with tech support and i asked them why they are choking P2P packets, turns out there doing it to be "FAIR to everyone on the Rogers network, if the board didnt 'REGULATE' the bandwith then it would stress the network". My response to that was "how is that fair for the people using rogers extreme? we paid extra for the modem so we dont get speeds like the rogers lite people do...if you guys keep choking the packets we should all keep the rogers Extreme modem and then just switch acount to Rogers lite", the guy said "thats possible but i cant do anything about it...if you would like you can e-mail the board at internetsupport@rci.rogers.com and have the issue addressed to them"

this is pissing me off...i cant download shit properly cuz i have to compensate for some fag with rogers lite...
i don't understand what they're doing with the torrents? choking p2p packets? can you please explain?
Old 12-10-2005, 11:49 PM   #49
Chris de la Cruz
sex, drifting & punk rock

Send a message via MSN to Chris de la Cruz
well i posted something to help
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62808

decided to make a new thread so people don't have to scan through this one.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:22 AM   #50
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex
you make it sound like your saving millions.

35$ for there 6mbps connection. (with rental fee included)

I pay the same ammount with rogers. Though its a good alternative for not having rogers thats for sure... If I get banned from rogers high speed, ill switch to 3web, or back to Sympatico.
Rogers was NO WHERE NEAR the same price when I signed up with 3web... They wanted $45 for that I pay $29.95 for at that time... they may have gotten wiser now...

Deep
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 03:57 AM   #51
Hound
V-Dub in da House

Send a message via MSN to Hound
i think all you guys who want the fastest net need to move here to hamilton and grab the cogeco pro service, 10mbps d/l speed 1mbps u/l gg ftw, i upload to ftp and such at 120KB/s yes killobytes per second, pimpin, only thing is i think they are starting to throttle the p2p ports but you can get around that if you know how. d/ls for me off of fileplanet for example which i have a founders club subsciption to, i get around 1-1.5 MB/s download speed. only slight down side to it is it's about $75/ mth but if your a crazy gam3r or d/lr it's pwnz0rz j00 b0x0rz

07 GTI, Revo Stage II, 3" catless GHL exhaust, OEM R32 rear conversion, 17x9 + 17x11 215/45/17 all around on genuine BBS RS's, B&G RSII coilovers

96 Harliquin Golf
Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 11:53 AM   #52
Jim .E.
E90 n00b

im fine with downloading at 640kB/sec and uploading at 108kB/sec (5mb/3mb)...the only thing pissing me off is rogers choking P2P packets

Chia: what i mean by choking P2P packets is there not letting you download at full speeds off of Torrents...picture it this way, when you breathe you can inhale as much air as you went...but when someone chokes you...you cant breathe. Thats what rogers is doing...for example...where a torrent would download at 250kB/sec, it downloads at 1kB/sec...but the problem has been solved, just change the listen port in BitComet to 1720 and encrypt the header and you should be fine
Jim .E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 11:52 PM   #53
2slow2race
6th Gear Member

how do i encrypt the header?
and what is a header?
2slow2race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 12:17 AM   #54
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slow2race
how do i encrypt the header?
and what is a header?
A packet header. Picture your information that goes on the internet going out in envelopes, on the envelope is has the address where your info is going, it's type, and your return address. The header is sort of like the envelope. Rogers sees the address going to a torrent and doesn't give it priority. If you encrypt the headers, Rogers doesn't know it's torrent info and just treats it normally.

It goes something like that anyway.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 03:34 PM   #55
super_namer
2nd Gear Member

great thread

i have a qustion but it might be a n00b question...

i have sympatico.. i have a wireless network in my house to 3 computers...
when i download on one computer (wirelessly connected, not the router computer) on bitcomet, my MAX combined DL rate always caps at around 240... always.
and even when it does max out at 240 total with simultaneous downloads, i will lose connection sometimes as it resets the ip address (i think)
not sure if this is normal, but seems pretty slow to me...
i check my speed on dslreports and these are my readings

2005-12-13 14:30:48 EST: 991 / 500
Your download speed : 991 kbps or 123.8 KB/sec.
Your upload speed : 500 kbps or 62.5 KB/sec.

pretty sh*tty if u ask me. would this be a local problem? or should i contact sympatico?
super_namer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 06:05 PM   #56
super_namer
2nd Gear Member

oh ya, and i have high speed, sorry forgot to mention.
super_namer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: