Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-09-2005, 12:28 AM   #16
///Milk
BangSentra

Send a message via ICQ to ///Milk Send a message via AIM to ///Milk Send a message via MSN to ///Milk Send a message via Yahoo to ///Milk Send a message via Skype™ to ///Milk

I got 2 computers.
I leave my old Dell on for about 4 days in a row and reboot. My gaming rig I turn it off every night.

///Milk

2006 Nissan Sentra 1.8S
2009 Ford Focus SES Sedan
///Milk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 12:31 AM   #17
Jim .E.
E90 n00b

on in the morning, off at night...only on overnight if im downloading a large file
Jim .E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 03:28 AM   #18
MP328
Krv Svoju Za Bosnu Moju

Send a message via MSN to MP328
got 3 of them now and they all run 24/7
my main one always has streaming radio (from backhome) running and is only rebooted when needed.
2nd one is PVR downstairs. only rebooted if some application gets stuck or something like that.
3rd one is just for downloading. running BT 24/7
MP328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 04:02 AM   #19
Ital_325i
Lost in a world of Chaos

School laptop, so I could really careless what happens to it. They charge me $750/semester to use it so, meh. Also, takes forever to boot up, so I just make hibernate at night/when not in use. Only gets restarted if its running kinda slow.
Ital_325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 06:30 AM   #20
King Luis
The King.

Send a message via MSN to King Luis
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinair
Just curious, why do you guys leave your computers on all the time?? Sorta seems like a waste of electricity unless you have a valid reason. Most computers use like 60-80W just idling.

Even setting your computer to standby is a way better option, and it's instantly on when you touch the keyboard, hibernating is about 10 seconds to boot up (all my computers are when I'm not using them). Or have it standby or hibernate automatically if you're not using it for like 30 minutes.
http://www.pcguide.com/care/care/gen/powerOnOff-c.html
lets say turning of your computer every night...the solder have a while gets use to the heat in the machine and expands a little but. then when you shut your machine down it cools down and the solder will contract. after a long time, this will cause fatigue on them and one of them might crack or something.

Sold:2004 Silver Gray M3
Mods: Dice Unit, EAS Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors, CSL Diffuser, Smoked Corners, PSS10s, 15mm Front and 10mm Rear Spacers.

Gone:1990 Brilliantrot 325is
Mods: Alpine speakers and HU, Euro Projectors, Magnaflow Muffler, Euro Smoked Tails and GC Coilovers.
King Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 08:24 AM   #21
MV325IS
4th Gear Member

Leave em on...reboot when needed...ive done this for years.
All my machine servers or not are left on...as for bearing wear...i never keep machines for more than two years and they can definatly handle that ( unless its servers and they can handle alot more than a few years )
JMO
|Angel Eyes|AA GEN 3 |MOMO Quick Release|Ireland Engineering Bushings & Shock Mounts|

98 328I
MV325IS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 08:57 AM   #22
sirex
King Sirex

I never turn off my computer.. My last reboot was when I finished downloaded 3 torrents of 5 gigs each..

The only reason why I dont turn my computer off is cause I am usualy downloading something.. when I am not downloading something, I do turn it off though. That can range from every night, to once a week, depending how much I feel the need to download
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 09:46 AM   #23
Manimillion
Photographer

I always turn it off, even if I use it for 5 minutes, and leave to have food, I turn it off, unless I am doing some work on it.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:37 PM   #24
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Luis
http://www.pcguide.com/care/care/gen/powerOnOff-c.html
lets say turning of your computer every night...the solder have a while gets use to the heat in the machine and expands a little but. then when you shut your machine down it cools down and the solder will contract. after a long time, this will cause fatigue on them and one of them might crack or something.
That is true, but a rare occurance, you computer also cools right down when idling anyway, the heatsinks on my mobo, CPU and GPU are cold when the computer is idling. Everything only really heats up when under load (for the most part).
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 03:34 PM   #25
SickFinga

All computers and laptop are always on.

Reason?? To lazy to wait til it boots everytime, though, its really bad for the laptop's battery
SickFinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 03:42 PM   #26
Rampage
6th Gear Member

Ive been downloading/upload torrents for alot lately:

Uptime: 23 days, 18hrs, 24min, 34sec

However, I typically turn it off each night, just not recently...
Old 12-09-2005, 04:41 PM   #27
Betray
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to Betray Send a message via AIM to Betray Send a message via MSN to Betray
never leave a laptop on, even with AC battery dies ($200 lesson).

last night i shut down my pc over night.. wow my room was ****ing quite.. it felt like my ears were bleeding while i tried to sleep, kept making some whistling sound.. wow to much silence makes me go insane.
Betray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 05:36 PM   #28
///MP
Purveyor of Useless Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betray
last night i shut down my pc over night.. wow my room was ****ing quite.. it felt like my ears were bleeding while i tried to sleep, kept making some whistling sound.. wow to much silence makes me go insane.
LOL, the same thing happens to me. I need to hear the gentle humming of the fans or else I have a hard time going to sleep. Wierd eh?

MP
///MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 09:12 PM   #29
e30_kid89
The Afro-stig

Send a message via MSN to e30_kid89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betray
never leave a laptop on, even with AC battery dies ($200 lesson).

1000% agree. i always leave on my pc some times i reset it daily...my reason for leaving it on is the humming noise makes me sleep better if its dead quiet i get paranoid
Old 12-09-2005, 09:36 PM   #30
icu
3rd Gear Member

Cool

I always send it to standby through the week but if I go away shut her down.
icu is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: