Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-11-2005, 12:36 PM   #16
BlitzSix
6 Speed

Send a message via AIM to BlitzSix Send a message via MSN to BlitzSix
Would somebody be willing to let me add them on MSN so I can bother them about stuff? Basically I'll be askign whether a certain set up is a good deal when I see it..

And how does this sound:

Alpine S-Type SWS-1241 Professionally Boxed

Size: 12"
Nominal Power Handling: 200 Watt
Peak Power Handling: 600 Watt
Frequency Response: 26 Hz - 2 kHz
Sensitivity: 89 dB
Impedance: 4 ohm (Dual Coil)

For 125. I'm sure I can get it for 100.

Also I'm wondering what's better, assuming same brand/quality/wattage........ 2 10"s or one 12" sub? It would seem the 10s would be better since it's just a bit smaller but there's 2 of them, but they why do prices for 2 10s seem to be similar to those of 1 12?

Thanks
BlitzSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 02:00 PM   #17
kontesto
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to kontesto Send a message via AIM to kontesto
talk to the seller and ask him
Old 12-11-2005, 04:48 PM   #18
calegrant
6th Gear Member

Don't be fooled by high watt's. Pioneer makes some drivers for under 200 that can handle 1000 watts but they sound like shit. The JL set-up is so expensive (relitvely) because JL audio makes excellent equipment. Even their low end gear produces excellent sound.

As for buying cheap gear, if you're going to invest, take the time to double your money and buy quality. And don't spend all your cash on a sub and amp, then cheap out on box, wire, and other essentials. Your system is only as good as the weakest link. I've seen guys with over a grand of audio in the trunk and they have a flimsy 12 guage wire running all the juice to drive dual 12" subs. Can you say FIRE! Also, before you drop any money into audio, might I suggest an alarm system?
Old 12-15-2005, 02:11 AM   #19
moto-menace
3rd Gear Member

if anyones interested i have a 12"pioneer think its 1500 watts..and its mounted in a nice seald box, also have 2 underpowering amps so u need 2 ge ta big amp 2 make er pound...im not a stereo guy so im not putting it in my car, just aqquired it as colladeral a while back. no use 4 the thing but 2 sell it..it does pound with the right amp, i tested it in my buddies car hooked to his explode 1000 watt amp/// if interested P.M me..
Old 12-15-2005, 09:01 AM   #20
tominizer
6th Gear Member

I've done a ton of installs for people over the years. Last year a few that I helped work on made the cover on PASMAG (ie. Joe's orange VW Golf with all the TREO gear). Anyways, you get what you pay for. Don't be dupped by numbers. Good quality gear that doesn't sound like azz and doesn't break a week later doesn't come free. To do a box, sub and amp......... plus all the wiring for 300 bones and think that you'll have something solid ............ just isn't possible. Anyways, I have a whole wack of gear available that some of my past customers are dumping to upgrade........ some of it has never even been used. Drop me an email if you want to talk. IT's all quality stuff.

tkliem@markham.ca
tominizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 01:13 PM   #21
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

You get what you pay for. Always.

I've gone through thousands of dollars in "inexpensive" systems, only to hate them after the initial excitement. Ever since completely re-doing my car in all high-end Alpine (not exotic by any means, just high quality stuff), I've been satisfied and have no urge to touch anything ever again.

I still remember my first setup. Cerwin Vega 12", Alpine 200rms monoblock, JVC MP3 deck. Spent probably $1200 or so, and didn't like it all within a few months. Since then I progressed through all sorts of crap trying to "save money" by not getting the best, and it ended up just being a waste.

Do it once, do it right.

@stancejay
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 02:33 AM   #22
paul christians
87325is///MR.EVIL

What, are you looking for S.P.L or S.Q???
Old 12-24-2005, 02:45 PM   #23
tominizer
6th Gear Member

You can get a system to hammer............... for not a ton of money. It's all about the effiiciency of the drivers and a good install. Makes me laugh when guys buy 10,000 watt amps to driver their piece of shit massive in-efficient subs for a daily driver. Only people winning that game are the stores selling the gear to you for a shit-load of money.
tominizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 05:39 PM   #24
Mitch Fong
2nd Gear Member

i have 1 10" mtx, 200w pioneer amp, and a crossover. Jvc deck and kenwood 6x9's. Pounds, i would never want anything more. I cant turn the volume up past half and you can feel the sterring wheel and front seats shake. Let alone when you drop down the armrest in the back seats and the sub is looking stait at you.
1 10" sub, in a nice box and a good amp will be plenty for you.
I have mine in a bandpass box if you wanted to know.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:01 PM   #25
BlitzSix
6 Speed

Send a message via AIM to BlitzSix Send a message via MSN to BlitzSix
Mystikal, the thing is though that,
1) I'm not really an audio guy
2) I simply can't afford spending that much money on this stuff. And the save up argument doesn't really help, I mean sure in the summer I COULD dump a grand into audio if I wanted to but I have student loans to pay off and I don't think it's wise dumping such huge amounts into a car at this point.

I don't mind if it doesn't sound like the greatest thing in the world, I just want something decent.

Anyways, I really need advice quickly here, someone is selling:

2 kenwood 4 channel amps( black )-these are wicked little amps with decent power...not to sure how many watts but im SURE there at least 350 watts each, the model is kac-742

2 10" kicker subs mounted in a ported box (wen I asked for the model the seller said: kicker ss2x10 subwoofer by: stillwater designs but this doesn't sound like a model to me??)

I don't have pics yet but will. Would you pay 200 for this ?
BlitzSix is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: