Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-28-2005, 01:34 PM   #1
Lenny
1st Gear Newbie

Unhappy Instrument cluster probs.

Hi Folks,

Just bought a 92 325i and am having probs with the istrument cluster. When I picked the car up last week, I had instruments, ie tach and speedometer. Everyso often, the cluster would lose power, for a period of time and then come back on, with chimes etc., as if I had just started the engine. Also I had no dash lights.

When I took it for the safety, I asked the guy to look at it. He pulled it out and put it back in and now it is worse. I have no power at all, the srs light is on, my cruise doesn't work and the wiper speeds are high and intermittant only.
Just joined today and could really use some help in terms of advice and a good BMW guy in London On.

Thanks, Lenny.
Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 01:42 PM   #2
j0nblayz
3rd Gear Member

lenny i'm having the same problem, started happening after an accident 3 weeks ago. I was hit on the passenger rear door which i dont expect to be the cause of this problem, but it may be. I have checked numorious sites regarding this problem, seems that one person tried to even replace the instrument cluster and still had the problem. Tonight, i am reseating all the fuse, meaning i'm gonna pull out each fuse and place it back in, also gonna clean out the ecu just incase its dirty that may cause this problem. I have removed my instrument cluster and checked inside and didn't see any visual of any blown anything. I'm guessing this may be to a short somewhere. I'll let u know if i found out anything.
j0nblayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 01:53 PM   #3
Lenny
1st Gear Newbie

Cluster probs

Thanks, let me know how you make out......
Old 11-28-2005, 02:29 PM   #4
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

if it's not the actual cluster it is more then likely a freyed wire or a loose/corroded Ground wire.
-somwhere anybody know where the grounds are inthe engine bay?

Lenny, getting the cluster out is really easy.
maybe make sure buddy Properly reclipped that stuff back on!?

also I think if you take out cluster with wheel still on you get SRS light!?

maybe undo the panel under the wheel & look for anything overt,
at least you feel like you did something
Old 11-28-2005, 02:39 PM   #5
Lenny
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks,

I think he took it out with the wheel still on. I have the repair manual, so I know how to get the cluster out . I think the guy removed the abs bulb while he was in there. I was thinking bad wire or ground as well simply because I did have instruments intermittantly before the safety.

I really appreciate the info guys!!!! keep it coming!
Old 11-28-2005, 02:46 PM   #6
bmdbley'sBro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny
Thanks,

I think he took it out with the wheel still on. I have the repair manual, so I know how to get the cluster out . I think the guy removed the abs bulb while he was in there. I was thinking bad wire or ground as well simply because I did have instruments intermittantly before the safety.

I really appreciate the info guys!!!! keep it coming!
"intermittant"
you could always get a cheap test light, turn the key to on with cluster out
& see if the clips are gettin power.!?

if not it's in the wiring, if they are its probably the cluster
Old 11-28-2005, 04:18 PM   #7
A.K.A. Blackout
BLACKOUT

Just to let you guys know that I had the same issue last year. It happened when I brought my car out of storage, and it went away. Then this year it happened again, but this time it stayed dead. I had to get a new instrument cluster, which I got from the stealer that set me back a grand, and they take your old one. Not sure what causes it, but supposedly it is a common thing with E36's.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:25 PM   #8
Lenny
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks guys....

Appreciate the info
Old 11-28-2005, 06:46 PM   #9
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
This is a common problem with e36's as AKA Blackout mentioned. It's the telltale sign that your instrument cluster is dying. Usually means a resistor inside is dying. You'll need to replace the entire instrument cluster.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 10:53 PM   #10
j0nblayz
3rd Gear Member

ok guys, i tried everything, took apart the dash, there seems to be not a single sign of any loose connections, the 3 plugs for the cluster is also fine. ECU is perfect and clean, and also the fuse box is perfectly. Any luck for anyone else?
Old 11-29-2005, 01:55 AM   #11
bmdbley'sBro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin e36
Usually means a resistor inside is dying. You'll need to replace the entire instrument cluster.
I really wonder if a OldSchool resistor changing tv repair guy could fix that type of stuff..??

I took a monitor in once (before they were cheaper to replace) guy had like a laboratory of electrical flux capicitor type monitoring devices
Old 11-29-2005, 09:33 AM   #12
Lenny
1st Gear Newbie

Cluster Probs

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all your advice and help. It is really cool how total strangers can come on here and get advice and help. Circuit brds etc are my thing, so I think if I could get a hold of a used cluster, to put in my car, I could probably repair the problem with the existing one.

Any one know of a E36 instrument cluster that needs a new home?

Cheers Lenny
Old 11-29-2005, 12:36 PM   #13
j0nblayz
3rd Gear Member

Oh man, i just called manchester auto salvage parts in calgary, cluster is $350. You guys think this is a good deal? i know a brand new one goes for around $1200, but i thought it would only cost like $200 or less since i've seen them for sale here for that price. You guys think i should buy that for $350?
Old 11-29-2005, 12:39 PM   #14
j0nblayz
3rd Gear Member

Oh also, i decided the problem is actually the cluster, I honestly spent all night trying to figure this out, and funny thing was, i was gettin so frustrated, i just gave the cluster a good ol' slap and it started working good for couple hours, sad thing is it started to reset this morning again. I am running out of things to check. I'm gonna wait til my door gets replaced since i was just in a accident and see if that fixes it all, if not im gonna have to buy that used cluster.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:49 PM   #15
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
350 aint bad for a cluster. I wouldn't drive too long with a broken cluster, and 150$ aint that huge of a deal. You can wait, and eventually you'll find one for less, but it'll likely be in toronto, so 200-250+ shipping aint worth it

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: