Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-27-2005, 07:22 PM   #1
dave328i
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to dave328i
low riders in winter?

thinking of getting my car lowered in the spring, but it's my year-round car..

all you guys with lowered bimmers that drive em in the winter, how is it? how low are they? ever get any damage?

GTA only please
dave328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 10:53 PM   #2
SeRb
Don't shrink me Gypsy!

my friend had a vr6 lowered almost to the ground and he drove it in the winter, pieces of ice can crack ur lip if u have one, get used to ppl calling ur car a snow plow, hehe otherwise he didnt think it was too bad except the ice breaking his lip
SeRb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 11:01 PM   #3
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Don't bother, invest in a beater. I stored my slammed e30. The money you are gonna spend on reparing body work, risking an accident, not being able to go to work/school/out on heavily snowing days, etc, aren't worth it.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:.Individual- Modded
Hers--'07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
Toys
'91 BMW 850i J Spec Modded
'88 BMW 635CSi Lowered
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig WILD RIDE
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 11:05 PM   #4
Kal
maxRealtor

Send a message via MSN to Kal
i ****ed up my old car driving it in the winter.
Get a beater. Or at least get coilovers.

You will regret it. Guaranteed.
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 11:31 PM   #5
TheMadChigga
Taiwan Panda Racing Unit.

Send a message via ICQ to TheMadChigga Send a message via AIM to TheMadChigga Send a message via MSN to TheMadChigga
depends how low you wanna go.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:40 PM   #6
mpower1226
6th Gear Member

I store my car and i remember terry's e30 being stored right beside my car

well, the problems associated with ice breaking up the front end is least thing you should worry about. Its the salt that eats up your car's body like cancer THAT you should worry about. Just save yourself some headache and money by store it.
mpower1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 11:40 PM   #7
shimajer
loudddddd

Yah if your car is not too low, it will be fine. If you dont have any fiberglass bodykit, its going to be fine. I have a front lip which is 2-3 inches off the ground because i have 17s for winter (18s for summer). And I couldnt even go into mcdonalds drivethru because they dint plow the snow lol.

But i think if you own a car, wouldn't you want to drive during winter too? What's the point of getting a car which you can only drive it during summer, right? Unless you already have a winter beater, I suggest you not lower your car too much so you can drive it during winter too!

my 2cents
shimajer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 11:49 PM   #8
STALKER
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to STALKER
Drive it on clean days and keep you eye on the forcast.

2008 AW/FR E90 M3
//RAC RG63//Volk TE37//AP Racing BBK//Akrapovic Exhaust//Dinan SW//Dinan Intake//JRZ RS1 Coilovers//Dinan Monoball Control Arm Bearings//VRS Diffuser//
STALKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 01:29 AM   #9
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
I drive my car all year round, its not that low (1.5/1.8 from stock) but I take my air dam off for the winter and I am good.

I got stuck last year because my brake master cyl was ****ed and if snow got me slowed down I would basically do a brake stand till I shoveled my way out.

I have never broke anything in the winter though.

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 11:12 AM   #10
325isRED
6th Gear Member

my car is not extreemly low, but the way it is, i have not encountered any problems, a good set of winter tires is whats going to make a major difference

'92 325is 5sp
325isRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 11:27 AM   #11
E30 Girl
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to E30 Girl
Right now my car is stock but in the spring I plan on lowering and putting a kit on. Next winter all I am going to do is spin the coilovers up a bit and put the stock bumpers and wheels back on. (Winter mode) LOL
E30 Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 06:20 PM   #12
sicilianace
E-thirtysexer

Send a message via ICQ to sicilianace
low riders winters

I've driven my car with the bilstein/H&R sport combo with oem rims/snow tires during the past four seasons no problems but very cautious.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:59 PM   #13
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Car's been lowered last winter. It hasn't been too bad. The M3 bumper/lip can take a good beating and do a good job ploughing the snow.. which helps my tires keep traction. ... however, be careful of ice chunks that refreeze in parking lots and the like. Sometimes it looks like snow, and it's a hard piece of ice. Also, be sure to get your vehicle undercoated and rust proofed. All that snow & ice dragging on the underbody will rust her out pretty darn quick. I do find the car has more stability when she fish-tails when lowered though.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 09:14 PM   #14
jeffrie
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30 Girl
Right now my car is stock but in the spring I plan on lowering and putting a kit on. Next winter all I am going to do is spin the coilovers up a bit and put the stock bumpers and wheels back on. (Winter mode) LOL
Testing this theory out this winter, if I get stuck (which I didn't last year) I'll rais it to the height of last year, if I don't.... I'll keep my height.
Granted I have a lsd now so sure I have a major advantage still from last year.
Although I predict alot of snow this year.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 09:55 PM   #15
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
^ let me know how much difference you find with the LSD this winter. I'm thinking of doing the upgrade just for this reason.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: