Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-20-2005, 11:25 PM   #16
M-ATTACK
Vroom vroom

we have two lcs's an 1 dlp an plasma, i prefer my Samsung DLP, i forget what model it is but its the one with a built in pedestal stand, also looks wicked
M-ATTACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 11:26 PM   #17
Furious
BMW again.

rear projection technology, like said above large for cheaper, uses bulbs so they are replaceable and very affordable to replace. im in love with my 50" samsung DLP
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 11:39 PM   #18
FastM3
is dreaming of ///M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickFinga
Why plasma and games don't mix?

Plasma has much faster refresh rate than LCD.
Video game static images burn in plasmas a lot easier and quicker then LCD or DLP tvs. It's a fact. Talk to any honest tv salesman and see what he says about video games on plasmas.
FastM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 11:45 PM   #19
Gamite

I saw DLP, I don't like how the contrast shifts when you move.

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with a plasma now.

What do people recommend for 42" or 50"?

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 11:51 PM   #20
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamite

if you really wanna go plasma, go with sometihng around 42'' - 45''

the 50''s are around 5-6k.

anything above 50'' you pretty much have to go with either DLP or LCD Projection.

An ya the viewing angle sucks on DLPs, but sometimes depends on the room it doens't matter cus ideally you wanna be infront of it anyways
Old 11-20-2005, 11:56 PM   #21
FastM3
is dreaming of ///M's

Quote:
Plasma for those sizes for sure.
FastM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 11:56 PM   #22
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Plasma rocks. I have an LCD TV and am not impressed with it... It's ok, but I like the colour depth on plasma. The only thing about plasma is that it doesn't reproduce white well when it's the only color ont he screen. Take a look at an LCD and plasma with a majority white picture (over 70%) and you'll see the plasma show a little grayish. That being said - how many people actually have a problem with this! Not many I would think...

Go plasma! Future shit had a great deal on a 50" LG unit... $3999, which isn't bad at all...

Deep
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 11:58 PM   #23
Furious
BMW again.

lol julian was it my DLP that you saw? cuz if so you have to see it outside of my small living room..
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 12:02 AM   #24
BigD
the misanthropist

None of the above. Plasma just sucks outright. I dunno what you're smoking saying it looks the best, it looks like dogshit. I'm not even talking about the pathetic lifespan and the burnthrough (can't play games on it unless you can afford to buy new ones). LCD is grainy as hell, the worst of them all, if anyone still makes them they should be ashamed of themselves. DLP is great and a few years ago I'd say get it. But LCOS is the shit now. I bought an LCD projection TV from Sony which is better than any DLP I saw. Sony SXRD is out now, which is an LCOS (liquid crystal on silicone) implementation in 1080p but they're expensive as hell and my TV is perfect for what I want. It does 720p (technically more) and looks just amazing (go to FS and check it out, I got the 55" A20). If you have deep pockets, a 55-60" SXRD is the only way to go, otherwise the 55-60" A20 is just amazing. Toshiba sets would be good if they made 720p. Can't believe they're trying to pawn off 1080i sets. Samsung is good, they're DLP pioneers and their 720p sets are great but I like the Sonys better (I do honestly think the picture is better but in addition... I just can't bring myself to pay 4-5 G's for a Samsung...).
BigD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 12:06 AM   #25
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

A good quality plasma looks good - the future shit stuff sucks. I think it's you that might have been in a smokey room when you looked at the plasma's, unless of course you haven't seen a high quality unit...
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 12:17 AM   #26
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep 323
A good quality plasma looks good - the future shit stuff sucks. I think it's you that might have been in a smokey room when you looked at the plasma's, unless of course you haven't seen a high quality unit...
I've seen 1080p LG and Pioneer units, they look alright, but not great. And the price is pathetic. For that much money just get a 1080p projector and an 80" screen which looks amazing. 720p sets just look bad. I don't know what the technical term for it is but basically the edges on everything look grainy, some artifacts. Plasma was hot 3 years ago, now it's just overpriced deprecated technology. The only reason to get a plasma is that it's really flat. But if you can't spare a foot of room for the back of a 60" TV then maybe you should rethink where you're putting it.

BTW I'm not recommending JVC even though they were the first with LCOS because they didn't do a very good job of it. Toshiba 1080i DLPs look far better.
BigD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 01:40 AM   #27
Gamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious
lol julian was it my DLP that you saw? cuz if so you have to see it outside of my small living room..
lol no it wasn't yours, it was at a store.

Old 11-21-2005, 02:31 AM   #28
Bliss
Administrator

We got 2 LCD tv's, 2 LCD monitors, and a 42" plasma. In comparison to LCD and plasma, there is no comparison, plasma is A LOT better in picture. As for the lifespan goes, you'll want to get a new tv by then anyways. No comment on DLP.

For maXbimmer decals, please email info@maxbimmer.com
Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 03:45 AM   #29
Gamite

okay, so, I think I have my eyes set on plasma.

Which brands are recommended? what specs should I look at when buying?

EDIT: Actually I was reading about the burn in on Plasma's.. seems pretty bad, might go with LCOS.

Old 11-21-2005, 07:56 AM   #30
Darkness95m3
6th Gear Member

Quote:
I was looking at a couple of them. I definately like Plasma for the contrast ratio, viewing angle and refresh rate.

I hate ghosting.
Ghosting is a thing of the past with the new LCD's.
Darkness95m3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: