Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-08-2005, 10:28 PM   #1
schorty169
2nd Gear Member

Check Out my beats (hip hop fans)

Hey everyone, check out my beats that I made. Let me know what you think! I am going to start recording very soon, with local people from Mississauga. If there is anyone good from around the area who wants to collab with Pivotal Productions, let me know!!!
-Justin

www.soundclick.com/pivotalproductions
schorty169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 11:10 PM   #2
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
I just realized I've listened to your beats before... here's your original post:
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/show...t=violin+vibes

As I said before I've I've been composing music, instrumentals, beatmaking, and producing for over 10 years now and have already had tracks on the radio, clubplay, been in music videos, and worked with many big name artists prior to moving on to other things. So I've been in the game already, I know what it's about.

As for recording with local emcee's you might want to contact UncleJ, he's currently working on his own studio and is already in school for sound production. He has the drive, and lots of potential---also from Mississauga.

To answer your questions from the original thread:

can u give me more information on how to get hooked up in the music business.....

It's ALL about who you know, not how good you are. Network like crazy. I had some lucky breaks growing up in Rexdale during the emcee boom in the 90's, there was a close knit network of emcees from accross Toronto, such as Nefarius, to Ghetto Concept (before Infinite broke off on his own), Redlife, Choclair, Monolith, Elasta, Thrust, Flipside, etc. Back then producing wasn't something 'just anyone' can do with enough money and a decent sound card. Prior to the internet boom, word of mouth went far... bootleg cassette tapes were the norm. Unfortunately, although the internet makes it easier to market your material---it also means you're now competing against the whole world. Meet people, move up, work on collaborations, get some GOOD emcees, and listen to what others say. When producing, your objective is not to make it sound good to you.. it's to make it sound good to everyone else. Get comments, LOTS and LOTS of comments on ALL your work. Guys, girls, young, old, hip hop kids, rockers, you name it. You need to know which 'vibe' works.. because these are the vibes others will want to jump on.

and that's why i really want to go to production school.....or even music engineering school....just to learn everything about it...did u go to school or just learn from ppl....

I never went to production school really. I started working on my own tunes back when I was 12. By 15-16 I had a full blown studio of the time and had emcee's in my basement nightly.. sometimes sleeping over just to drop a track. I'm self-taught. I read books, worked in studios, and asked lots of questions. What I couldn't find answers to, I made up myself. Unfortunately, back then, there wasn't such a wealth of information available on the internet. I didn't just compose hip hop.. music ranged from hip hop, breakbeat, dance, happy hardcore, jungle, R&B, and symphony. Versatility helped me a lot, especially since there isn't a lot of money to made in Toronto hip hop.

and if you got so much recognition from it....why didn't it go anywhere??

Simply put---because I didn't take sound production in school. As I said, I made up a lot of stuff myself.. a lot of experimentalism. Unfortunately in the working world, they don't care about how good you are.. it's about if you can work their equipment without training---which I couldn't do. Further to this, there really is not a lot of money in it unless you're part of the < 1% that make it big. Most people have to work for free, just to market themselves. I was getting old, and I needed to settle down on a career and begin making moves. Music became a hobby, then eventually became a history. I'm still in touch with a lot of people in the industry.. some famous, most not. But I'm too old to jump in the game now.. too risky, too much of a gamble, and quite franky---I need more stability in my life.

If you want, you can add me to your MSN if you want any advice, or want to hear some tracks.

Last edited by Justin e36; 11-08-2005 at 11:58 PM.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 11:19 PM   #3
schorty169
2nd Gear Member

yeah for sure add me....schorty169@hotmail.com
schorty169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 11:24 PM   #4
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
added you @ JustinM_416@hotmail.com

... just heading to the gym now though.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:48 PM   #5
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

lol i got some beats too. Sign me Foools.

Ohh wait my beats r too hot for u guys

Told my self not post any of my production stuff on max but ohh well here it goes. am missin another verse from a buddy which will be recorded by the weekend.

http://s38.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3...O3LPSB8WINQJ8L

this is wat i do when i get **** with samples.

e.g. thundercats.
http://s38.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0...H0D1I1NEFF1IIK

"Edit" justin jst read ur post Justin. U type too much lay off the keyboard.
dude u know Nefarius?? how come they r not recordin anymore stuff i seriously thought they were gonna blow back in 98. but i heard of the members died. one of my favorite MC in the T-Dot.

Last edited by ZiMMie; 11-09-2005 at 12:06 AM.
ZiMMie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 12:09 AM   #6
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schorty169
Hey everyone, check out my beats that I made. Let me know what you think! I am going to start recording very soon, with local people from Mississauga. If there is anyone good from around the area who wants to collab with Pivotal Productions, let me know!!!
-Justin

www.soundclick.com/pivotalproductions
can i borrow ur "piano" beat?
Old 11-09-2005, 12:10 AM   #7
moerom
6th Gear Member

It's good to know there's some producers out there as well. I love to produce as a hobby. I'm using hardware so far (DR5, DR202, SP202) and some low-level computer stuff. Most of my beats are either hip hop or deep house/trance.

Once I finish my album I'll post it up on Max.

I've been into music practically since I was born, my family is heavy into music. I learned the piano and the drums but now with my producing, it takes music to a whole new level for me!

Anyone want to buy me an MV8000?
moerom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 12:41 AM   #8
Justin e36
---

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiMMie
"Edit" justin jst read ur post Justin. U type too much lay off the keyboard.
dude u know Nefarius?? how come they r not recordin anymore stuff i seriously thought they were gonna blow back in 98. but i heard of the members died. one of my favorite MC in the T-Dot.
Hey, the kid needs some direction.
I'm feelin that Thundercat's beat. Just need a cleaner sample to work with.

Kwesro (Rohan) died in April 1999 during his sleep from a heart disorder. He lived down in woods. He was the main cat in Nefarius and after he left Don D and Colliz were never the same on their own. They dropped a few tracks here and there, but that's it. Colliz (Tristan) moved out of the area a while back... no idea what he's up to now.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: