Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-07-2002, 08:04 PM   #1
whiskeym3
3rd Gear Member

Video card help

Guys, I need a new video card, but since computers is not something i am familiar with, could someone suggest me a video card, that can play games, mainly nhl 2003 or other sport games, while getting good value you, like bang for the buck..... oh, and I'd like it to last for 2 yrs, but doubt that would happen.......

Thanks for any help

Whiskey
Old 10-07-2002, 08:16 PM   #2
Mr seville
6th Gear Member

i've had mine for four...mind you it came with the computer
Mr seville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 09:22 PM   #3
Gamite

How much are you willing to spend and how long are you willing to wait.

GeForce 5 comes out in late December/Early Jan,

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 09:31 PM   #4
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

gamite, i dont think he needs the greatest graphics...maybe geforce 4? even the MX version are good if your playing games like that....dont forget, your gameplay is also affected by the free memory, CPU speed, and ur HD speed. good luck findin a new 1 man

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 09:35 PM   #5
MP328
Krv Svoju Za Bosnu Moju

Send a message via MSN to MP328
right now the newest ATI 9000 series is supposed to be the best but it's over $500 . it even rates better then the geforce 4. but like gamite said the geforce 5 shoulde be out whenever he said. but those are the top of the line.

the geforce 2 or 3 or the ati 7000/ 8000 series should run you a few hundrer bucks less.
MP328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 09:46 PM   #6
Gamite

For something reliable, I would stray away from ATI's cards, despite their impressive performance ratings.

Most games these days are based on Nvidia chipsets

with ATI cards, you tend to have to download a lot of driver updates and patches for games

Geforce cards are no worry always playable cards.

But it all comes down to my first questions, how much and how long?

Old 10-07-2002, 10:09 PM   #7
Bill Gates
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to Bill Gates

Stick with Nvidia!

either the budget GeForce4 MX440 or the slightly pricier Ti4200. The new versions of these chips will be called MX440-8x (NV18) and Ti4200-8x (NV28).

Like Gamite mentioned, new cards are on the horizon, i would wait for the AGP 8x, even though it offers no real benefit for the current generation of games, you'll have an interface that will last 2 years.

unless your a hardcore gamer, i wouldn't recommend spending $500 on a video card.

if you can't wait, get yourself a $150-200 nvidia chipset card and be done. no point spending $500 on an interface thats going to be retired from AGP 4x to 8x. now thats of course if your motherboard can handle 8x.
Bill Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 10:18 PM   #8
Gamite

Re: ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gates
Stick with Nvidia!

either the budget GeForce4 MX440 or the slightly pricier Ti4200. The new versions of these chips will be called MX440-8x (NV18) and Ti4200-8x (NV28).

Like Gamite mentioned, new cards are on the horizon, i would wait for the AGP 8x, even though it offers no real benefit for the current generation of games, you'll have an interface that will last 2 years.

unless your a hardcore gamer, i wouldn't recommend spending $500 on a video card.

if you can't wait, get yourself a $150-200 nvidia chipset card and be done. no point spending $500 on an interface thats going to be retired from AGP 4x to 8x. now thats of course if your motherboard can handle 8x.
AGP is way overrated, 1 to 2x, not much performance gain, 2 to 4x, not too much performance gain. 4 to 8x, guess what? not much performance gain. I would like to see what Nividia pulls with their next gen card, I'm waitin on that.

Old 10-07-2002, 10:51 PM   #9
whiskeym3
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MP328
right now the newest ATI 9000 series is supposed to be the best but it's over $500 .
OH Crap! 500! thats steep!.... I was planning on spending about 200 max, give or take a few, but thats about it, DAMN! those things are expensive.

To answer gamite, im not willing to wait too long, hoping to get a new card this weekend, but man, i just hate how computer components are soo easily out-dated.

Hmmm......... is 200 enough? cause I only wanna play nhl type games, and for at least two more years, by then, ill get a new computer.
my current spec

p3 500
128 ram
60 gig,

and some other stuff......

I currently have a NVIDIA RIVA TNT 2 Model 64, dunno what that is, but all i know is that i cant play games like Nhl 2003, and gta 3.

Whiskey

P.S., I played GTA3 at my friend's house, and its AWESOME!, anyone else hooked?
Old 10-07-2002, 11:11 PM   #10
Gamite

at $200 bones, you probably looking at a Geforce 4 4200. Check out Canadacomputers.com for exact prices.

Old 10-07-2002, 11:31 PM   #11
whiskeym3
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gamite
at $200 bones, you probably looking at a Geforce 4 4200. Check out Canadacomputers.com for exact prices.
Whats the difference between the Geforce 4 from:

ABIT
ASUS
LeadTek
MSI

Whiskey
Old 10-08-2002, 04:42 AM   #12
Gamite

Quote:
Originally posted by whiskeym3

Whats the difference between the Geforce 4 from:

ABIT
ASUS
LeadTek
MSI

Whiskey
NOthing really, some of them offer different features like TV out, etc.. but the chipsets are the same. They are all respectable brand names.. cept MSI, I havent heard exceptional stuff about them lately.

Old 10-08-2002, 04:58 AM   #13
Foc us
4th Gear Member

If you don't mind I might want to sell my MSI MX440 since I'm thinking of upgrading to the new ATIs. My card's been used for less than a year and not overclocked. pm me if you're interested!
Foc us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 10:09 AM   #14
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to GR8 Ride
Quote:
Originally posted by Gamite
For something reliable, I would stray away from ATI's cards, despite their impressive performance ratings.

Most games these days are based on Nvidia chipsets

with ATI cards, you tend to have to download a lot of driver updates and patches for games

Geforce cards are no worry always playable cards.

But it all comes down to my first questions, how much and how long?
Actually, that's a load of bunk.

Most games are based on either the OpenGL API, or Direct X API. There is no *chipset* specific coding in ANY game....

The days of chipset specific coding ended several years ago, as the game writers had to write specific subroutines for each video card out there.... This was also in the time when DOS games ruled, and nobody played any games in Windows.

OpenGL was commonly available as a pure graphics language, and Microsoft was coming out with DirectX to solve that issue.

Today, anything with EITHER an ATI chipset (R200 or better) or an NVidia chipset will do fine.

I'd suggest a Geforce 4 Ti (4400 or 4600) which will run about $500 or so.

On the ATI side, I'd suggest a Radeon 8500 which will run in the high $300s.

A lot of what you pick on the video card side will depend on what the rest of your system looks like. There is little point in dropping a $500 video card into a Pentium II 366....

If you're running a Pentium III, 1Ghz or higher, than a good video card will help your system.

ATI has resolved their driver issues, and the new Radeon 9700 Pro is the current king of video cards...by a LONG shot.

NVidia doesn't even have a working chip for their NV30 (for the Geforce 5) yet; no way for them to build boards until such time as they get one. I'd be surprised if Nvidia is able to make the Christmas timeframe; more likely is late Q1 of 2003.

Pat
GR8 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 01:10 PM   #15
Bill Gates
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to Bill Gates

i beg to differ..... there are still games out there that only run on 3D accelerated cards (OpenGL) like Medal of Honour.

back in the day, games that ran on OpenGL (3Dfx cards) was the smoothest and fastest. then nvidia came out with faster cards and game developers noticed directx will become the standard, since all card mfg's starting using nvidia chipsets.

i still use my Voodoo 3000 3Dfx simply because the games i run are still smooth. of course i have to turn down the details abit, but thats not a biggie.
Bill Gates is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: