Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-31-2005, 11:00 PM   #1
Zim Zimma
3rd Gear Member

328is Chipped

Now I know this has most likely been asked a thousand times but I need to ask again.

I have been searching the Internet for 328 software upgrades and havenít really turned up any solid upgrades that catch my eye. Most donít have power ratings etc.

Does anyone here have any information on software upgrades for a 328? As of right now from what I've read the best bet is to shark it.'

On a side note, not being the most knowledgeable in the motor department. Should the 328 not be able to push a decent amount more power then a 325 based on the fact 328 is 2.8L and 325 is 2.5l?? (I realize the manifolds etc are more restrictive, but regardless)

Thanks guys.
Zim Zimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 12:02 AM   #2
WhadUpp
BIG BIG WHEELS

Check out MarKD, he was at the last meet. My buddy and I were talking to him about the exact same thing. You cant go wrong with him. Hes a member and will give you an excellent price.
WhadUpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 03:26 AM   #3
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Ditto. There are lots of positive reviews on the MarkD chip. Not only does he have the dyno numbers to back up his chips, but since he's local he can throw your car on the dyno and do an actual before & after for your specific car.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 10:19 AM   #4
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim Zimma
On a side note, not being the most knowledgeable in the motor department. Should the 328 not be able to push a decent amount more power then a 325 based on the fact 328 is 2.8L and 325 is 2.5l?? (I realize the manifolds etc are more restrictive, but regardless)

Thanks guys.
Our cars (328's) have 1 more HP than a e36 325, although we do have around 11 added ft/lb of torque. They may not be necessarily "faster" in a race (like they would be, but nore enormously) but on a dyno, and even just driving around, you do notice a bit, although not an enormous difference.

Someone once told me that an auto 328 has the power of a stick 325. I think that's a bit of an exaggeration, but it gives you an idea.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 09:11 PM   #5
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Forget the chip (328's don't generally use chips anyway), get a shorter differential first, like a 3.15LSD or 3.23LSD. You'll notice more of an improvement over any chip you can get. Then get an M50 intake manifold, then software.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 09:37 PM   #6
bimmer318ti
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to bimmer318ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhadUpp
Check out MarKD, he was at the last meet. My buddy and I were talking to him about the exact same thing. You cant go wrong with him. Hes a member and will give you an excellent price.

^^ wat he said.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:43 PM   #7
Zim Zimma
3rd Gear Member

I guess my question for you Thinair is where does one go to look for one of these. How much does it usually run you with installation?

Thank you.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:47 PM   #8
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
The differential can go for about $500-700 or so, the intake manifold goes for about $150-180. I don't know how much they are to install, I did both myself.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 11:02 PM   #9
Zim Zimma
3rd Gear Member

Where should i start looking for one? I took alook around the internet tonight. Some Vac motorsport sells new ones for like 1400$ american..much to expensive but other then that I couldnt find any used ones.

All help is appreciated. By the way thinair I absolutely love what you have done to your car..Watched the auto X video tonight that car of yours sounds beautiful.

Thank you
Old 11-03-2005, 11:30 AM   #10
JazzM
6th Gear Member

I have M3 cams if you're intersted (S52)... they alone add about 15-20 hp.

T.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:42 PM   #11
Zim Zimma
3rd Gear Member

How much are you looking for the camshafts, as I am on a budget right now. ( tried sending pm but your box is full)

Also would one be able to perform the installation themselves? I'm a beginner when it comes to automotive work but I wouldnít mind learning / gaining more experience. But through some research I have read that the camshafts are a pain to remove and require a special tool.

Thanks

Rob
Old 11-03-2005, 09:56 PM   #12
MP328
Krv Svoju Za Bosnu Moju

Send a message via MSN to MP328
the shark injector was pretty much the biggest waste of money for me!!!
the only thing i did notice is the top speed limiter was gone and it might just barelly pull like 1/4 of the car on a non chipped car.

but it's nice with no speed limiter i had the thing barried to the end, but once it gets passed 220 it takes ages to go any higher.
MP328 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: